Sign in the Night

Written in response to: Write a story about someone looking for a sign in a dark sky.... view prompt

3 comments

Happy Inspirational Kids

Her parents were arguing, again. They've been doing this almost every night.

Before anything got out of hand her mother would send her away to her room, but every night Mira climbs out through her window to sit on the porch outside to look up at the stars, hoping. Her parents have been trying for years to have another child, but all of their attempts have been in vain.

Nothing worked.

So Mira came out every night to pray and hoped that something had changed. She grew up hearing stories from her parents about signs in the night sky. She spotted the brightest star, clasped her hands in her lap, and closed her eyes. Wishing. Hoping. Praying.

If the Creator heard and answered her prayer he'd string the stars together to create a picture.

So far, nothing.

Mira was angry at the Creator, she wanted him to stop all the arguing; and give her parents what they wanted. She wanted him to hear her, answer her.

He had done neither of these things.

She didn't know what it was like to have a younger sibling. Mira wanted a hand to hold when she crossed the street, she wanted someone to play with her and keep her company. Yes, her parents were great at doing all of those things..it just isn't the same.

The door opened behind her.

Mira turned, surprised to see her dad in the doorway. His hair resembled a bird's nest, his clothes stained and wrinkled, and his glasses sliding down his nose.

"Mirabell? What are you doing still awake?" he asked, closing the door behind him. He rubbed a hand roughly over his face and sat down. "I suppose it wouldn't hurt if you stayed up a little longer. It's pretty tonight, isn't it?"

Mira nodded. "Very." she pursed her lips. "Are you and Mommy done arguing?"

"I hope so." his father sighs.

"Do you remember the stories you and Mom tell me before I fall asleep?"

Her father hummed thoughtfully. "There have been lots of those, sweetheart."

"They were stories about the Creator." Mira pointed at the brightest star. "You told me that if I prayed and he answered he'd show a sign that he heard me." she licked her lips, lowering her hand. "But it hasn't worked. It's like he's ignoring me."

"Do you remember how many times Diana had to pray before her prayer was answered?" her father asked, cocking his head. "No, not all prayers are answers right away. And no, he's not ignoring you. He's listening. He's just waiting for the right time."

Mira groaned. "Right time for what? I just want the arguing to stop."

"Maybe that's not what the Creator wants." his father ruffled her hair. "His timing is always perfect. You'll see. Time for bed young lady."

Mira thought about what her father said, longer after her parents had fallen asleep.

If the Creator's timing is perfect, what exactly is he waiting for?

//

Hana, Mira's mother sat in the kitchen early in the morning sipping from a mug.

She'd been thinking about what she'd overhead Mira and her husband talking about. And she'd never admit to anyone- not even herself- that she had the exact fears her daughter did.

But perhaps he didn't hear her? Or never answered her.

Hana sighed and massaged her temples. When she married her mother had been so happy and talked about how spoiled she'd make her grandbabies.

Her parents loved Mira as though she were their own, but her mom was asking when there was going to be another one.

Hana wasn't doing this because she felt obligated to do so. She just wanted another baby, she wanted Mira to grow up with a sibling. She wanted to see her child grow and graduate, then eventually start a family of their own.

When she explained to her mother the issues she was having in her pregnancies she could hear her mother saying clearly,

"Life throws unexpected challenges and curveballs at us. But the most important thing is to not give up."

Hana finished her tea and glanced out the window. She saw it, faintly in the glow of the rising sun.

The bright star.

//

Two months later, Mira was leaving school and saw her parents standing beside their car, with huge smiles on their faces.

Confused Mira, cocked her head. "Mom? Dad? What's going on?"

Her mother's smile widened. "We have something to show you, but first." she pulled out a handkerchief. "It's a surprise. So no peeking."

Mira nodded and stood still as he mother covered her eyes. She helped her get into the car and they drove off.

She wasn't sure what this was about. Maybe Grandma had planned something for her.

Or they got her a present.

Whatever the surprise she hoped it was good.

When they stopped someone opened her door and helped out. Her father chuckled. "Are you ready, sweetheart?"

Mira turned her face in the direction his voice came from and she nodded.

"Come along then, your mother has already opened the door."

Her father led her into the house and a moment later they stopped. She heard a door open and her heart leaped into her chest.

Did they fix up her room?

"You can look now." her father whispered.

Mira removed the blindfold and gasped at the sight before her. The room was painted blue and there was a wooden crib against one wall. On the other was a changing table and a rocking chair in the corner.

This could mean one thing.

"Mommy's pregnant?" Mira whispered, turning. "How-when-"

"We just found out today." her mom kissed her forehead.

Mira smiled. "Is it a boy? A girl? Twins? Triplets?"

Her parents exchanged a look and her father laughed.

"Maybe that's what I should ask the Creator for!" Mira gasped and took off toward her room, giggling.

After she finished supper and her homework she raced outside and looked up.

She saw what looked like a baby swaddled in cloth, its eyes closed. Mira smiled and whispered, "Thank you."

Perhaps her father had been right. The Creator's timing was perfect.

January 08, 2024 14:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Naya Putryansyah
02:05 Feb 03, 2024

Wow, Sarah, this is amazing. The way her prayers came true. It makes people believe in God, doesn't it? I'm glad and have no regrets about reading this story, and I will learn from it too. Love, Naya.

Reply

Sarah Parker
14:52 Feb 05, 2024

Thank you for the comment!!! :)

Reply

Naya Putryansyah
11:44 Feb 06, 2024

You're welcome, Sarah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.