0 comments

Black Christian Fiction

“You cannot be part of this set. Why all these months you didn’t indicate you’re an Anglican, now only a week to the occasion you are telling me what you would have done a month ago”

“ But no one told me, secondly, I don’t know the protocol. Please, due consider him”

“ No, it is against tradition. We are mandated to follow due process”

“ So, what did he needs to do now?”

“ I don’t know. He has to wait. I have to talk with the priests and see what he has to say”

“You don’t know?, How then do you know it’s against procedure?”

“ Don’t question me. I have told you it’s against procedure. So take this boy home”

“ This your procedure, what and what does it entails?”

“ If I answer you this question as a catechist, what would the priest answer you?”

“ Do I need to see the priest myself then?”

“ And ask him what?’ go home this falls under my office”

Jim Agwu had been attending catechism classes for the first holy Communion for the past two and half months now, three times each week preparing with other 8 year olds. Having passed the exam, catechist and his staffs came with their rejection on the excuse of him being born an Anglican.

He came to live with us a year ago, the boy it seems don’t even know exactly how old he is. He claims to be 14 but from his behaviors and utterances, I suspect he is older. His family is never a religious one. The parents don’t attend churches, the kids don’t know their left from their rights even in that Anglican denomination.

That explains why it was only two years ago according to the baptismal certificate his father presented that the boy was baptized.

I would be surprised if Jim and his other two siblings has seen the four walls of the church two times in their whole lives while with their parents.

He is not rooted in religion. Don’t know 2 percent of what he supposed to have known at that age. He had lived previously with someone I believe must be Catholics because he knows more things in the Catholics faith than the Anglican he was born into.

Mr and Mrs. Fred Agwu his parents are to poor. One would have thought that their state would have Drew them to the church but not his father. He seems to be living 'I don’t care life.’ The wife Angelina seems to be the one doing all the bread winnings for the family. She was suffering seriously to put food on the table and that showed on her. I have seen her once and that once is enough after hearing both talk for twenty minutes to know what I am narrating to you.

Jim had come to live with us through a teacher that acts as middle man to the film directors and interior villages that still too poor to build modern houses. Those villages with 90 percent of the houses still built with mud.

The teacher and his likes connect the film people with the managers of such villages when they needs to record any movie in such places. The man works as a teacher in the state capital where my elder sister teach too. 

One of such movie was recorded in Jim’s village and throughout the duration, Jim was following them around doing minor favors and that was how the teacher came to know him.

He had earlier returned from Lagos where he lived with a man he claimed to be going bankrupt for two years. He woke one morning and demanded to be returned to his village before the man goes kaput.

That was his version of the story to people, the man version was with Jim’s parents.

To date, the man and his family is still living in Lagos and Jim is now living with us. 

My sister had told his colleagues he needed a kid that will live with her aging mother. The teacher had gotten wind of my sister’s take and that was how he connected Jim to us. 

A year with us, I have found out that Jim is the one that has gone morally bankrupt. The boy is full of shit. Observing him and his antics closely, if left for me a, I would have booted him out of the house a long time ago but my mum seems to be the one with finally say on the boy.  

I decided to see what I can remedy from the decay. I registered him to the group studying for first communion with hope of pushing him to the mass servants group after that, but it seems that some forced has other plans for the boy.

There is this cold war going on between me and some forces in my parish. What actually it is, I truly don’t know. Some forces believed that I am detrimental to their wellbeing or way of lives. 

How?---- I don’t know. I don’t know much of anything especially those things I consider irrelevant which these forces around me considers more than relevant. Such things had always being the sort of problems I encounter nowadays any where I found myself. My 'A' is always their 'B' from the way things usually pans out, I think it’s just some peoples way of asserting their weight.  

People nowadays don’t know how to mind their business and I have not forgotten how to demand it from them. So, some forces believed I am their headache and something to take care of. For about a year now, they had been battling to find fault with me, since Jim came to live with us, these forces had been penetrating the family through him. He have been given one assignment or another each month and he had been carrying them out in the family without qualms. 

It took me a month to figure out the source of the tribulations the family had been into. I found out that some forces in the parish has forgotten that the mole working for them in the family is an Anglican boy. Yet, he was prevented by the same force from receiving first holy Communion. 

I later found out that the priest and the catechist were saying that the boy’s behaviors weren’t normal. According to them, someone tampered with him diabolically. They concluded that the person must have been me and that is why I am sweating for him to receive first holy Communion in order for me to pass as good man and hide my sin.

Well, to cut the long story short, the priest refused to accept my plea on the boy’s behalf believing that the accusations has merit. It seems as if they have checked through whichever means they do and found nothing. 

Now, they are trying to prove to prove that it wasn’t out of love for Jim that I wanted him to receive first holy Communion, if not, why don’t I allow him to join this new set.

I wonders at times why they don’t allow him to join the communion community straight away, after all, he has passed previously. Why want him to spend another two and half month going through the same route he have gone a month before. I suspect there must be reasons.

October 16, 2021 11:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.