2 comments

Fiction Horror Mystery

I opened my eyes.

I let out a breath I wasn't aware I was holding, I was shaking. This normally doesn't happen to me because I'd normally be at with the guys and not abnormally in this twisted game.

I looked to my side.

She wasn't here, she took the other door probably--or she hasn't even entered at all...but that wasn't possible because the floor...

I tried to unlock the door but it didn't budge.

Expected.

I tried to break it down, pretty useless I'm aware but I've got to try anything if I want answers.

of course I didn't get them. I stepped back, this was already as frustrating as is.

I heard the door click and looked up.

Andre.

He was the one that entered.

"Dude," he got out, breathing heavily

"Where have you--where's the rest of you guys? did--what's going on?"

"I don't know man, they went through the other door, bro I just follow what's good and this is white, dude what could be the worst outcome?"

"Don't jinx us man,"

he raised his hands in surrender and looked past me, as if surveying the room and then I realized that is something I had not done since I came.

I followed his gaze.

"out of all i was expecting this did not come to mind," he said softly

"really? white door, white room how did that not come to mind?"

"bro i don't know, prolly there's some makeshift IT clown in here, dude a pure white room wasn't a part of my expectatuons."

"you scared?"

"this ain't no time to be making jokes," he said but i saw a hint if a smile on his face.

Just as i was about to reply another click of the door.

"another member," Andre said

"Yo," I said to Felicia who as confused as the next guy.

"What's going on,"

"First of all, why are we coming at different intervals?" Andre asked and he voiced my thoughts exactly.

"I went in directlyy behind J," he said, referring to me

"and i came in immediately after you did," she said

"then this is another game," I concluded, that seemed to be the answer for ever crazy thing that was happening

"this is so sick," she said

"it ain't today," Andre said

She did the same as Andre and skipped my existence and analysed the room.

"Does this kinda symbolize something?"

"another puzzle, who knws?" i said "well, let's just figure it out."

"why the chair though?"

"Wha--?" Andre turned around "there wasn't no white chair there before,"

Different time spans, one more clue as someone enters.

When Andre entered just a white room, now Felicia has entered and theres a chair, I didn't notice anything in the room when i entered because there wasn't anything to notice.

"one clue for one person," I muttered, in order for it to all makes sense we need at least one person.

As if on cue the clicked again and we all set our eyes on the newcomers.

except me, because my focus was on the rope which had taken the form of a noose hanging from the ceiling.

I wasn't focused on their ongoing conversation, infact i couldn't hear anything from them. Only little mutters here and there.

It still didn't make complete sense, if one more person was com--

The door locked shut and that was when i realized that there was no more coming in.

or going out.

so this just got more confusing and we have to figure out way for ourselves.

Then i saw a platform of some sort.

I looked at the group and saw that we were now five.

two enetered at the same time?

no time difference.

more and more confusion.

"so what is this some kind of hangman shit?" I muttered to myself and then turned to the group which were getting familiar with each other

"The puzzle is complete," I announceed and thry lookat at me like i was crazy

maybe i was, maybe all this was getting to me and i couldn't think straight anymore.

"or rather just starting," Felicia said 

she quickly pieced it together, I realized.

"okay Brainiacs, care to explain?"

"Five people, five clues." I said

"With each person comes a new clue," Felicia continued

"Oh God," Andre said

"and?" Andy, one of the new two asked.

"now five of us are complete we've uncovered the message?" Dave, the other asked "and what happens next?"

"I have no idea, at most this looks like some hangman game, at least that's what it looks like," I said refering to the whole set-up in fron of our eyes.

Then the tiles in front of Andre's feet lit up, as if forming a path...

...that led to the chair.

"Nah, nah, nah, no w--" he couldn't finish his sentence because then the tiles around us began to drop...

and the only way was the red tile which was in front of Andre.

it was chaos.

"Andre, Go!" someone screamed, i didn't know. In this chaos i didn't care to identify any voices.

But the fact was if we didn't obey, there were grave consequences.

somewhwre i heard him trying to object.

"Juat go! stand on the freaking thing!"

"N-"

"Move it all we're all gonna die here!"

I didn't know if it was of his own accord or someone pushed him but he started moving, towards and up the chair.

Then it all stopped.

I found myslef leaning on the wall as if it were the pillar of my life.

then the tiles appeared in front of Felicia, forming a path which led to the platform, after what just happened she didn't need any form of motivation, she just moved.

maybe it was easy for her because she wasn't the one with the noose around her neck.

I looked at Andre.

"It's some sort of game, a guess-the-word kinda thing" Felicia announced as if she knew we would all question her.

Good.

We needed to know what was going on.

"There are thirteen empty spaces,"

"any other hints?"

"the letters given are GIUNNMOBLSADR, thats it,"

we all got our brains rearing, searching, thinking.

what was the word?

Apparently, Felicia had tried something because the noose was tighter around Andre.

"Don't play around!" Dave shouted

"there's a time limit!" she said hurridely and I don't know why I felt tirritated but I just did.

"why didn't you say so earlier?" I muttered, but of course we should have known.

Even sixty seconds was too uch time

"how much left?" I asked

"Ten," her voice wavered.

someone's life was in her hands with an impending deadline, from all over there were suggestions and Felicia was trying...

But everything only contributed to the dropping of the chair.

It happened in a split moment and then it was all over, The answer then was announced.

"Bildungsroman, the word was Bildungsroman."

Andre's limp body hung from the ceiling and Felicia dropped to the floor.

No-one was given a time to react because then the red tiles led Felicia to the chair...

And I to the platform...

May 21, 2021 20:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tricia Shulist
15:56 May 29, 2021

Interesting story. I enjoyed it. But you know what would have made it better — editing. I’m not sure if your style is intentional, but the errors and inconsistencies make it difficult to read. But I still enjoyed it. Thanks.

Reply

Rebbie IB
19:45 May 29, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.