1 comment

General


“Mom, the trip was awesome. But I don’t like to be here. I just don’t like to be here. Please get me back to the same place” cried the daughter with loud noise.

Mom smiled “This is the new place dear. You can’t be there even if you wish or cry”

“Nope. It was pretty good. All covered. I felt like I was protected. I got all the things I want. Even though its dark, I liked it so much. No matter wat, I am going there. Please get me out of here” daughter cried loudly again.

Mom told “you can get all the things that you want here. I am here to take care of you my dear girl”

Girl was so adamant and told “I got all the things without any suffering. More importantly, I was protected safely all the time. That shield was so strong and powerful as well. Would you be able to give me that shield every time here?”

Mom was dumbstruck. Her question was very strong for her. “How would I be able to give her a shield all the time?”

“I only will be able to protect her, but how I will be acting as a shield to her?

she needs to understand that this is the new normal for her. However, her question is also valid. I should be protecting her every time like a shield. But how?” thoughts started wavering in her mind.

“She is right as well. Every day I m seeing a lot of atrocities here especially against a girl. But I can’t be as shield for her right?” thoughts started questioning her.

She started looking for other options contemplating the whole night.

She didn’t sleep anytime till 7:00am in the morning waiting for her husband Jack to wake up.

When he showed no signs of opening his eyes anytime soon, she shouted “Jack, Jack Jack. Ufff… I am getting pain; I am getting severe pain. Can you wake up. Can you please wake up now?” right in front of his ears.

Jack stumbled like a cordless pendulum and woke up.

He shook up himself a bit and asked “Lisa, Wat happened? Don’t worry. I will always be with you in this journey”

“Come. Let’s start to hospital” Rushed Jack by putting on his formals.

“Jack, can we go and stay in MARS?” Lisa enquired with curious eyes.

Stumbled Jack felt like crumbled in a moment. He looked her with crooked face.

She added “I want to go once my girl comes out. Can you make it for me? Can you speak with Stan and make the necessary arrangements soon? My babe will come out within a month right”.

Perplexed Jack was in freeze for a moment. Then realized and said “Lisa. Don’t prank me. First tell me. How are you feeling? Can we go to doctor and check it once? Are you feeling uncomfortable? You got feared of maternity? Please tell me wats going on. Your eyes look devoid of sleep. Tell me honey”.

Observing Jack going to serious mood, Lisa added “No Jack. I am fine. You were speaking about MARS mission some time before. I also saw you people were also receiving applications for staying in MARS. I hope it’s not only for astronauts like you. Its open for all right?

I think Stan can recommend us as he is the head of NASA” with a small pause in between.

Jack thought “Wats going on with her exactly. She doesn’t seem to be exactly playing a prank. She looks upset”. He was not sure how to react with her. But it seems that something made her upset.

He sat opposite to her, hold her hands; politely told “Honey, there was something which bothered you. Can you share that with me please?” with care.

Lisa was a bit angry and answered, “Can you speak with STAN or not?”

Jack looks worried and helpless. He told “No, That’s not possible. It’s a mission to a planet MARS only for astronauts like me”

Lisa looked discomposed. However, Lisa was ready with her second option.

She said “OK then. In that case, drop me at my office. I will double mutate the genes of HULK, Spider Man and Super Man to produce an extra super giant for my girl. I will call it as “BULK”. Bulk will protect my girl like a shield every time. I don’t need your help; Let me do it myself. Drop me out there now”.

She was strong in her tone.

Jack rattled and his face turned pale. “Wat insane is she now? Wat the hell have happened to her. She is carrying my baby as well. Oh my God”

Jack’s eyes were full of tears and sat for a minute. Jack noticed Lisa to be unusual; her behaviors and speaking were out of her control. She clearly suffering from some psychiatric issue.

Jack pacified her by telling false promises for now. He told her to get ready. He said “Honey, let’s go to the hospital for the normal checkup; then I will drop at your office later”

Lisa went for a bath; Jack took his phone and looked for the doctor’s number. He took an emergency appointment with her.

Jack narrated the happenings from morning and explained Lisa’s behaviors. Doctor took Lisa for observation and called a psychiatrist. They took some tests on her and spoke with her in person. Procedure lasted for around 1:30 hours.

After the final analysis, doctor called Jack. She said “Jack. Based on the reports, it seems that she is suffering with a disease called “Imaginary Anxiety Syndrome”. As the name explains, patients will be imagining more themselves on a specific issue which in turn will lead to a severe anxiety. The cases of this occurrence are more in pregnant women because of the fear that they have on maternity”

Doctor continued to explain; however, Jack couldn’t be able to wrap himself up from the shock.

He came out and cried as “Lisaaaa…”

His cry was like loud earsplitting voice.

“For God sake, go and sleep in the hall. Every night I cannot bare this. Nonsense. Tomorrow morning, I will drag you to doctor for sure” howled Lisa out of frustration.

“No Lisa. U got Imaginary Anxiety Syndrome. I got so afraid you know” exclaimed Jack.

She got up and asked me a question to ponder “Is it Me or You? Who has Imaginary Anxiety Syndrome?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

June 05, 2020 15:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Sai Mahesh
02:12 Jun 10, 2020

Awesome.........

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.