Contest #199 winner 🏆

74 comments

Fiction Contemporary

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

You know how when a dog is at the end of their life, its owner will give them a perfect day before taking them to be put down? Like, take them to the dog park, the beach and let them eat a McDonald’s hamburger? Well, July 14th was the day I designated to do that for myself.


I was twenty-two, so I conjured up a list of twenty-two nice things to do for myself on my last day. Most of the listed items involved indulging in food, but there were a few I was more excited about- especially the grand finale, which was sneaking into a concert of some sort. It was a Friday in summertime Chicago, so there had to be something worth sneaking into somewhere. 


The day so far had gone smoothly. I had made up my face to perfection, dropped my cat Sebastian off at the apartment of the nicest friend I had made at school, and taken myself out to breakfast, lunch and dinner. I bought licorice and Haribo peaches from the overpriced candy store and ate it all in between my meals. I took myself on a date to the Botanic Gardens and ate a blueberry muffin at the cafe, curled into my iron chair and watching the stillness of the pond beside me while I tore the soft pastry apart piece by piece. By the time I dragged myself out of Harold’s Steakhouse that night, my stomach was about to burst. I could feel all of the expensive food I ate seeping out through my pores.


When I stepped out onto the street, the sky had turned to twilight. The sunshine had simmered down, but the business of the street was only picking up, as it did on a Friday night. The cars were practically bumper to bumper on Halsted, and people were walking every which way up and down the sidewalk. The hustle and bustle of the city streets usually made me feel suffocated, like I was being drowned out by a million other people whom I was invisible to. That night, though, I stood for a second with my back pressed up against the rough brick of the steakhouse, people-watching. You only learn to appreciate some things when you know you will never see them again.


I decided to start making my way south down Halsted and search for some sort of concert to sneak into. I tried to listen and maybe follow the sound of music, but there was rhythm coming from every direction. The voices of people on the street and floating out from restaurants and pubs morphed into a melody. I could hear the different tunes playing in every car on the street, strung together into one big, incoherent song. Even the way my sandals were scraping against the pavement started to sound musical. I couldn’t help myself but begin to nod my head and sway my hips to the beat as I made my way down the street.


It almost felt poetic, as if the world was singing me one final song. I studied the faces I walked past, people who either briefly met my gaze or did not look back at me at all. Tomorrow, none of these people will know that I’m gone, I thought. No one will know that I was ever even here. 


I was preoccupied looking at a teenage boy securing his bike to a pole with a comically large chain when I tripped over someone sitting on the concrete. I didn’t fall to the ground, but I did scrape a few toes and scuffed the side of the new sandals I had bought earlier that day during my boutique excursion. I spun around to see a girl with long dark hair piled atop her head and gold earrings that reached halfway to her shoulders sitting against the wall of an apartment building, holding what had been a full deck of cards but now was only a few. She had so many freckles they looked like constellations all over her body.


“I am so sorry,” we both said in unison. I stood frozen with guilt over the fact that I had just kicked this girl and scattered her playing cards all over the sidewalk. When the teenager who had been chaining up his bike almost stepped on one of the cards, I dropped to my knees and started collecting them from the pavement. Her mouth stretched into a smile and she waved her hand dismissively.


“Technically, I tripped you,” she said, gathering the stray cards that landed near her. “Maybe it’s a sign. You want a reading?”


I looked down at the bunch of cards I had grabbed and realized that they were not playing cards at all. They had roman numerals on them, and beautiful little images. I recognized them from somewhere, maybe someone’s dorm room. Tarot cards.


“You can read these?” I asked, tentatively handing her the cards back. 


Her smile stretched into a grin that exposed all of her teeth. “The best that I can. And, it’s a full moon. I feel like this really was meant to be.” She patted the concrete beside her. “Come sit. I’m Hazel.”


I folded myself awkwardly into a sitting position, not wanting my new sundress to ride up my back and expose my underwear to the entirety of the city. I realized that if I sat with my legs straight out then I would probably trip someone else, so I settled on squatting so that my arms rested on my knees and I could feel the skirt of my dress brushing against the ground. “I’m Ana.”


In one slick motion, Hazel evened her cards into one pile and began to shuffle them.


“How much do you charge?” I asked. I realized that I drained nearly every last penny in my bank account that day, but I had some cash stuffed in my phone case. 


She shrugged. “Whatever feels right to you.”


I fished out the ten dollar bill I had stashed in my phone case and handed it to her. This felt like something fun to do on my last day, something that I had never done before. I did get a psychic reading once on a trip with my family, but she told me that my dog was going to die- and I’ve never had a dog. The memory of that trip struck something inside me- the memory of my parents, tanned and laughing like they were young and in love all over again. I quickly pushed the memory elsewhere. 


“So, Ana,” Hazel said, thankfully bringing me back to the present moment. “Is there anything you would like to know in particular?”


I shook my head and watched her shuffle the cards so quickly, with such ease. “Not really. I guess… what does the universe want to tell me?”


She nodded, like this was a more frequent question she received. She opened her mouth as if to say something, but at that moment a card fell onto the sidewalk. I went to pick it up for her, but she thrust her arm out. “No, that’s how it works. The ones that fall out tell me the message. Let me see which card it is.”


It was completely dark out at this point, but luckily we were sitting by a streetlight. Hazel picked up the card and tilted it towards the orange hue of the light. She looked up at me, and then back down at the card again. “I’m going to do one more, and I’ll read the message of the two cards put together, okay? This one is the Fool, and its upside down. Hold it for me.”


I cradled the card in my palms, studying the man in the center. He was carrying some sort of bag, gazing up at the sky. I wondered why they called him the Fool.


The second card fell out quickly, and she took the Fool back and held them side by side. 


“The Fool and the Wheel,” she said quietly. She looked at me again, this time for a long moment. “Well, the Fool upside-down means that you aren’t thinking about the consequences of something you are doing, or something that you’re about to do. You might only be thinking about what you are experiencing at this very moment, and not looking ahead.”


My skin began to feel hot. This was getting more real than just fun. I asked, “What about the other one?” Although, I wasn’t sure I wanted to know.


She sighed and held them up side by side again. “The Wheel of Fortune. It feels similar, with the energy I’m getting from you. It means… life has ups and downs. The wheel of good and bad does not stop turning, and if you’re stuck in a low right now you need to know that the high will always come back around.”


We sat in silence for a moment. My knees had started to hurt from squatting, so I was on my butt now, legs tucked carefully to avoid tripping people. My underwear was probably a little visible, but I had forgotten about that. Her words were circling around in my head.


“Well,” I finally said, climbing to my feet. “Thank you. If I had more money I would tip you, but that’s all the cash that I have.”


“Wait,” Hazel said, scrambling to her feet beside me, shoving her cards back into the case. “Where are you going right now? I could use a drink, if you could.”


I sighed and glanced at my phone. It was almost ten o’clock. I had two hours left.


“Well,” I said. “I had this weird plan to sneak into a concert, but I don’t really know of any that are happening.”


She laughed, tucking my ten dollar bill into one pocket and her tarot cards into a black tote bag that had been behind her. “I like your weird plan. I don’t know of any concerts either, but I do know somewhere that will one-hundred percent have live music and cheap drinks.”


I followed Hazel down the sidewalk and around the corner so that we were walking east. Facing the lake, there was a breeze that broke the stiffness of the hot night. I smelled funnel cake coming from somewhere. Hazel started skipping, and I found myself starting to skip with her. The people we skipped past and parted through gave us looks that would have made me crawl away and hide if I were alone. Hazel only waved at them. By the time we reached the door of a bar so small I would have missed it on a regular day, we had erupted in laughter.


Inside, the bar was a little smoky- something I thought wasn’t accepted anymore. No one inside seemed to mind the combination of different smoke, though (I could smell cigarettes, cigars and even something a little skunky). The moment we stepped past the threshold we were sucked into loud, smooth jazz music. It enveloped me like a warm liquid before I even had a sip of alcohol. Hazel took my hand and led me to the end of the bar, where the stools swiveled and even had backs.


Before I knew it, I had a pint of beer in front of me. I wasn’t a beer girl, but then again nothing I had done that day was typical of me. Hazel released her hair from its topknot, and it fell over her shoulder in waves. She took a sip from her pint and looked at me over the rim of her glass. “So,” she said after she swallowed more than I ever could at once. “What led you to me tonight?”


“What do you mean?” I asked over the music. “I tripped over you and made you drop your cards everywhere.”


She tilted her head. “Yes, and there was a reason that happened. It’s a full moon. Don’t question the universe.”


I smiled and just shrugged. I wasn’t sure what to say. Luckily, I felt my phone vibrate. I dug it out and unlocked it to see a text from Nathan, my friend whose apartment I had dropped my cat off at. It was a picture of Sebastian laying on his chair, gazing up at the camera with his huge green eyes. The message underneath read: Sebastian misses you.


I turned my phone to show Hazel, to give us something to talk about other than what I had been doing that day. Her eyes lit up and she grabbed my phone to get a closer look. “Oh my God, what a cute cat. Sebastian? Adorable.”


“He’s a tabby,” I said, taking a sip of my beer. It actually didn’t taste that bad. And it was easing the sense of dread that had begun to creep up within me from somewhere.


She smiled at the screen for another second and handed the phone back to me. “Is that from your boyfriend?”


I shook my head. “No, Nathan’s a friend. He’s watching Sebastian for me.”


“How come?” she asked.


I didn’t know what to say, so I took another sip. I couldn’t think of a made-up reason for why I needed my friend to watch my cat. I should have just told her I was giving Sebastian to Nathan. But then again, not even Nathan knew that.


“Well,” Hazel said. “I bet he can’t wait for you to come back.”


That sentence hit me hard. I felt the tears begin to well in my eyes. I tried to hold them back, but before I knew it they were spilling over my eyelids and down my face. I hid my face in my hands, embarrassed. I wasn’t a public crier. Hazel patted my back and downed the rest of her beer. I picked my head back up, wiping my face with my hands as she slapped some cash down on the sticky surface of the bar.


“Come on, let’s go for a walk,” she said over the music. I slid off the bar stool and followed her back out onto the street, which was still busy but less so as it got later. Hazel was in the lead again, taking me by the hand back west. The air was cooler now, and it felt nice compared to how stifling the day had been. I thought about the card she had described, the Wheel of Fortune. Every low is followed by a high. Even the hottest day will eventually be broken with a breeze.


“Do you want to know why I was named Hazel?” she asked as we stood at a crosswalk, waiting for the orange signal to change and allow us to cross the street. The street was empty, and she abruptly began crossing anyways as if she had just realized that. I jogged to keep up with her.


“Why?” I asked, half genuinely curious and half wanting something distracting to talk about. A sign outside a bank on the corner read the time as 11:38 p.m. Less than an hour left of air to breathe.


“My mother wanted to end her life, a few years before I was even a thought in her mind. She had everything all planned out- she was going to go home after work and do it. I don’t remember how, pills or something.” 


We turned another corner, and I realized we were heading in the direction of Nathan’s apartment. I hoped we would end up turning a different way, so I didn’t feel Sebastian so close by. Hazel continued, “Well, she was on the train on her way home from work, mentally writing her suicide note. She stood up to get off at her stop when this old lady grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her. My mom tried to push her, but the old lady got real close to her and said, “Don’t do it.” My mom was so freaked, she was just like, “what?”, but the old lady just said it again, “Don’t you dare do it.””


I stopped in my tracks. Hazel stopped too, but she didn’t look at me. She peeked in a storefront window where there were shelves of fancy chocolates on display. “She said the lady had these hazel eyes, the most beautiful hazel she had ever seen. It freaked her out, and she obviously did not kill herself. But she named me Hazel, because of her.”


I felt a chill run up my spine.


“How did you know that?” I asked shakily.


“Know what?” Hazel asked.


I didn’t say anything, so we continued to walk. Hazel began to hum a vaguely familiar tune. I was so lost in my mind that I didn’t realize where we were until we were standing in front of the door of Nathan’s apartment building, bathed in the light of the motion-sensored lamps above the door.


“What are we doing here?” I asked. “Do you live here?”


“Go get your cat,” Hazel said. She looked at me then, and I saw in the brightness of the lights that her eyes were an incredibly vibrant hazel. The kind of eye color you don’t forget. 


I felt my body begin to shake. I didn’t know what to say, or even what to think. Hazel reached out and pulled me towards her into a tight hug. “Don’t do it,” she whispered. Without another word, she stepped back, turned on her heel and skipped away into the night. I stared in the direction she went long after she was gone. 


Finally, I checked my phone. It was 12:05- a new day. When I went to put it back in my pocket, I felt something else there. I pulled it out and gasped. In my hand was a ten dollar bill, and the two tarot cards Hazel had drawn for me. 


I unlocked my phone and called Nathan. “Hey. I’m here for Sebastian.”


May 24, 2023 05:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

74 comments

Alli Lee
17:00 Jun 02, 2023

As someone who has spent the last year struggling with suicidal thoughts and major depression, this story came close to my heart and gave it the warm hug it needed. Thank you for sharing this beautiful piece and congratulations, you deserve it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rose Nord
08:51 Jun 01, 2023

Hi Anne! Welcome to Reedsy - although I am also new here :) I was assigned your piece in the critique circle, so I'm here to share my thoughts. I agree with Mike that the set-up and topic is super powerful. This idea of a last day where anything goes is a compelling premise. I also thought you did a very good job keeping it serious and not too gratuitous. The story reminded me a bit of the midnight library, if you haven't read it I think you would like it. If you want a suggestion on how to improve, I would have liked to know a bit more a...

Reply

Anne Delfosse
19:52 Jun 01, 2023

Thank you, Rose! I really appreciate your feedback. Welcome to Reedsy as well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zakirah Green
17:17 Jun 03, 2023

Hi Rose, It's good to hear from you and your thoughts on Anne's story. I don't think this character could afford to behave so recklessly more often. Remember she only had $10 left after she splurged on her last day. And she has her cat to take care of as well. She comes across as responsible and careful. But why was she considering ending her life?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Peter Wyatt
12:39 Jun 08, 2023

I think in a short story this compact the ambiguity of why she was ending her life worked well. Adding more context for what led up to the day, maybe via flashbacks, could help to flesh out the story. That being said, I was really blown away by how effective, and affecting, this story was. It felt very raw and real.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Mike Rush
13:24 May 28, 2023

Anne, Oh. My. Gosh. I'm stunned. In awe. Thank you so for writing this. I've been on quite a ride. Thank you! The premise for this piece is understandably dark. Self-harm is no joke. But I thought that was really well played. This piece isn't about the act itself, but the preparation, and the morbid conclusion was the furthest thing from my mind as I read. This piece had every opportunity to turn cheesy. But it stayed true through her bumping into Hazel and the reading as well, I was going to ask you, author to author, how you came to na...

Reply

Anne Delfosse
19:52 Jun 01, 2023

Thank you so much, Mike! Your response almost brought tears to my eyes. I appreciate your engagement with my story and your feedback. Thank you again (:

Reply

Mike Rush
11:37 Jun 08, 2023

Anne, My earlier response was done well before the win was announced, so let me add my congrats. Truly, there was not one shred of surprise when I learned Hazel and Ana had captured the hearts of the judges. To win with your first submission here might mess with your mind a little. Please don't let it. Get us another one soon. Blessings, Mike

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sherry Bazley
14:16 Jun 03, 2023

Fabulous. A little gem of a story, something that could have happened on any given day of the week to many different people, leading up to the encouragement to Keep Going when the going gets tough. The pacing was easy, steady. Your descriptive voice was precisely on point, creating pictures in my mind from start to finish. Dialogue was natural. If this is your first attempt on the site, many, many congratulations! MORE, please!

Reply

Anne Delfosse
03:09 Jun 06, 2023

Thank you so much, Sherry!! I appreciate your kind words (:

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Peggy Lee
00:50 Jun 04, 2023

Dear Anne Delfosse, June 3, 2023 … … … your words are circling around my head in fervent gratitude—- “The voices of the people on the street and floating out from restaurants morphed into a melody” “It almost felt poetic, as if the world were singing me one final song” “Even the hottest day will eventually be broken with a breeze” I like the the mystery behind Ana’s suicidal intentions, there really doesn’t have to be a reason behind why she wanted to kill herself because if you know, you know…it’s a universal despair—to die, tis...

Reply

Show 0 replies
DEREK NAVIN
16:58 Jun 03, 2023

Hazel brought tears to my eyes and awakened something that has been sleeping for a very long time...something I need to keep my spirit alive...the power of the written word....I cannot thank you enough....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zakirah Green
16:44 Jun 03, 2023

A beautiful story that is so optimistic. Really like your first sentence and also '' Facing the lake , there was a breeze that broke the stiffness of the hot night. I smelled fennel cake...'' A worthy win. Congratulations.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hannah Leigh
14:08 Jun 03, 2023

Beautiful story Anne! My heart skipped beats towards the end, and I loved reading this. Very honest and beautiful writing that deals with the topic of self harm in a very down to earth and relatable way to many. Thank you for sharing with us and congratulations on the win! Welcome to Reedsy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
20:42 Jun 02, 2023

A very lucky encounter for Ana! We're left wondering if Hazel was just incredibly insightful with her intuition (and perhaps lucky she somehow knew where Nathan lived) or if perhaps she was a physical manifestation of the universe. In the end, it doesn't really matter. The point is, Ana realizes life is bigger than just her and there's connections all over the place - like her connection to Sebastian. It's enough to make her reconsider. And it seems like she really meant to go through with it, as she had tied up a lot of loose ends and put...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stefana Bourque
19:05 Jun 02, 2023

Oh, wow! That ending gave me goosebumps! I love this! And everything was so well written. I love the way you describe some of the setting and characters. I could really feel for Ana. I'm glad Hazel got her to change her mind.

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:47 Jun 02, 2023

Wonderfully well-done. I have not read a story here in ages & ages. Yet, for some reason- read this today. Thanks for the reminder of the preciousness of life! 🤗🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:22 Jun 02, 2023

Welcome to Reedsy :-) Great story and excellent use of the prompt! Something we all wish we could do -- be sensitive and capable enough to stop a suicide. Good details and nice use of tarot cards. Picky bits - A couple typos. Perhaps for flow have Hazel sitting under the streetlight (then you wouldn't have to have the luckily sentence), and for pace maybe stretch out the ending with one more paragraph about why Hazel's mom was contemplating suicide, or why anyone would, or what a consequence it would be if Hazel were never born? (Something n...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alessia Machado
12:05 Jun 04, 2023

Congratulations, Anne! This story is absolutely beautiful, and I love how it makes a full circle ending. Thank you for this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wally Schmidt
08:57 Jun 04, 2023

This is a really well-constructed story, full of details (the tarot cards, Sebastian the cat ) that add to its charm. Congratulations on the win Anne! Looking forward to reading more of your stories

Reply

Show 0 replies
Fallon Hon
03:56 Jun 04, 2023

That was absolutely amazing I thought she might have had a illness of some kind but no oh my gosh I'm just amazed that was such a beautiful story you did such an amazing job

Reply

Show 0 replies
Elise McConchie
06:56 Jun 03, 2023

Brilliant from beginning to end, this has given me motivation to start writing again ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Valerie Aulerich
02:09 Jun 03, 2023

Some days we all feel lost. The kindness of strangers when least expected brings tears to my eyes. On a few occasions when I feel sad and lost something unexpected happens. Always someone is looking out for me. Beautiful story and a reminder we are loved.

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:23 Jun 03, 2023

Hi Anne, I had to make a point of posting a Congratulations!!! to you on your win, for this month's Prompt #199. Your piece was absolutely beautiful. So well written!! I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to reading more of your work. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Terra Wertz
00:01 Jun 03, 2023

Well done. It's poignant. A deserved win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Carrol Halliwell
22:38 Jun 02, 2023

I loved reading your story. I couldn't find fault with it. You deserved this win. The last two winning stories did nothing for me. Your story was just a bloody good read and I loved the way it was paced and how it ended. Well done. I wouldn't change a thing. Hey, this would be a great premise for a movie. Keep writing, you have a natural talent for storytelling. I could feel it as though I was walking on that street. Congratulations!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.