0 comments

Science Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

“Okay,” Missy said. “His name is Jim. He works construction. His wife is Leslie. Based on the conversation I overheard he wants to know if it’s a good idea to try and start up his own business.”

I nodded as I watched the couple on the camera monitor. I was trying to get a feel for their body language. It was never good to do a cold read on somebody who was overly tense. I needed them as calm as possible. Low heart rates make people less objectionable. But if you keep them waiting too long the irritability goes back up. 

I lit some incense and lowered the lights to add to the effect. I stood there for a moment to clear my mind, pushing away all the guilt that was building from lying to people. 

“They’re paying for the entertainment,” I mumbled to myself. “It’s no different than professional wrestling. Everyone knows its fake they just want a good show.”

I didn’t believe it but I made a good living and I never told anyone anything that would have a devastating impact on their lives. I took in one last calming breath and slid open the curtain divider. With a big smile I welcomed the couple in.

“Good evening,” I said gesturing them towards the chairs by the table.

We sat down and I could see the hesitation on his face. She seemed to be accepting. It was just another Tuesday for me. Women were usually more opened minded. 

I broke the tension, “What can I help you two with today?”

She looked to her husband who didn’t speak, “Ask him.”

“Shouldn’t he already know,” he grunted back.

“I’m sorry,” I said. “Reading minds isn’t one of my skills. For a lack of better words I specialize more in seeing future events. And on rare occasions, and I mean ultra-rare occasions I can communicate across the veil. I’ve never met anyone who could actually read someone’s thoughts.”

I could see showing that I wasn’t omnipotent was making him more at ease.

“I have been considering quitting my job,” he said looking at me for the first time. 

Now I had his attention. I just had to keep baiting him until I could sink the hook.

“Is there an issue with you current job,” I asked.

“No,” he said shaking his head. “I just think it’s time to strike out on my own. I’ve got the experience to start my own business. I’d like to be my own boss and the extra money could give us a better life to start a family. It’s time for my name to start meaning something.”

I nodded only half listening. Not because I didn’t want to, but because after listening to hundreds of people drone on about their problems it was tough to focus on their stories. They were all generally the same. Poor me, what magical thing can I do to better myself with minimal effort. Otherwise there’s my favorite, where did my parents hide their money before they died.

I looked back and forth between the two of them, “The economy is very uncertain these days for such a drastic life change. But on the other hand houses are selling like hot cakes right now.”

He smiled when I showed signs of optimism. He bit the bait, now it was time to set the hook.

“Are you going to look into your crystal ball and see if it works out,” he asked.

I gave a fake laugh and shook my head. “The ball is just for decoration. Let’s all close our eyes and concentrate on your desire.”

“Do we need to hold hands,” the wife asked.

I smiled again, “No that’s not how my gift works. I feed off the aura someone gives off not the physical contact.”

Of course the truth was I didn’t like holding people’s sweaty hands. It didn’t take me long to come up with an excuse when I started this line of work.

Everyone closed their eyes and I led them through with my words. “Take long even breaths. Focus on your dream. Try and picture what your business would look like. How many people would work for you? Are you going to take on small or large jobs? How much equipment will you need?”

I mumbled under my breath for effect. “Oh…wow. There it is. I can see a new house…no wait there’s more. It’s a subdivision. There’s dozens of houses. I see you smiling in a company truck. It’s got your name on the side with…and sons.”

I felt the table move and thought I over sold it. “Sons,” he said smiling. “I’ll have sons?”

I shrugged, “I didn’t see kids but that’s what the sign said.”

They were both holding hands and smiling. My stomach hurt. For all I knew they weren’t able to have kids and I just gave them false hope. The knots in my gut were telling me the lies may not be worth the money.

They stood and started moving towards the curtain. This was the quickest read I’d ever given. Usually I have to ramble on for thirty minutes and try to persuade them it was their idea to get up and leave. I barely said anything and they were overjoyed. 

“I knew in my gut this was a good idea,” he said to his wife. “Everything’s going to work out. It’s our destiny.”

There was that word again, destiny. That’s the word people use when they couldn’t settle for the entertainment value I provide. He was going to take this way too hard and come back upset if it didn’t work out.

He turned to me with a wide smile and held out his hand. I really didn’t like people touching me. I’m not a germ phobic person, it’s just hands always seem sweaty or sticky. But my job obligates me to return the handshake. I reached in with a firm grip and the room changed.

I was standing in a backyard during a dark rainy night. Lightning flashes were helping me see more clearly. Jim was digging a hole by the light of his headlamp. He turned his head towards me checking his surroundings. He didn’t speak to me. He just kept searching the yard. With the next flashes I noticed a lump on the ground. When the light came again I could see how mangled her face was as the rain spread blood across the grass. Lying on her chest was a blood stained hammer. Jim knelt down next to her body and rolled it into the hole. She landed with a squishy thud.

He stood next to the grave looking down into the darkness. “My business failed because you failed me. The next one will bear me sons…it’s my destiny.”

Lightning flashed again and I was back in my parlor shaking hands with Jim.

“Thank you so much,” he said walking out holding his wife. Sweat rolled down my body as he closed the door.

July 02, 2022 01:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.