Happily Ever After

Written in response to: Write a story about a teenager whose family is moving.... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship Teens & Young Adult High School

TW: DEATH

"I hate it. I hate them." I said packing my room. I was finally happy when my family decided to move across the country. I hate it, I hate it, I HATE IT! Why do we have to move, WHY?

"MIRABEL!!" Mother called.

"WHAT!?" I called back.

"Come downstairs." mother replied.

"FINE." I called.

   I go downstairs.

"What." I asked.

"We're moving to Colorado; are you nearly done packing? We leave tomorrow at 6:30 A.M." Mother asked.

"C-C-Colorado???" I asked anxiously. "I am nearly done packing, but why Colorado!?"

 “Because Nana and Papa live in Colorado. Wouldn't it be nice to see them more often?” Mother replied.

“I mean, I guess, just leave me alone.” I muttered.

Mother sighed

I stomped up the stairs back to my room to continue packing.

As I was packing, I began to cry. I didn’t WANT to move, I WANTED to stay in my house, in my room, and- and- and I mean just stay in my school with my friends.   

I was just about to lay down then I got a notification from my best friend, Izabella. She sent me a snap saying, “Can’t wait for school tomorrow!!” I didn't know what to say!! I hadn’t told her I was moving! I responded back with: “Yea… about that, i won’t be there. I am moving. To Colorado…”

She left me on open… She must be upset. I felt super bad that I hadn't told her sooner. 

After an hour or so she responded with “I am going to miss you” I responded back with “Me too.”

I never wanted to leave Delaware; I don’t know why I even had to! 

 It was getting late, so I needed to go to bed since I had to be up by 4 A.M.

“BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BOOP BOOP BEEEEEEEP” That would be my alarm clock. It was 4 in the morning, and I had to get up to drive to the airport. 

 I got off the air mattress and deflated it. I got dressed, brushed my teeth, combed my hair, grabbed my phone and my bags and left.

 Around 30 minutes later we arrived at the airport. We went through security etc. etc.

We had to wait another hour or so to catch our 6:30 flight. 

                     6:15 A.M. We get on our plane and wait to take off.

On the plane ride I watched Disney movies, played on my phone, sketched, colored, and mostly was bored. 12-15 hours later, we arrived in Colorado and had to drive another hour or so to get to Nana and papa's house. Around halfway there we get a call from Nana. Father answers since Mother is driving.

“Hello.” Father says.

“(CRIES) Papa, it’s Papa… He’s Well… He’s…he’s dead...” Nana replies.

“You’re kidding right… Mirabel is going to be so devastated.” Father says. "we’ll be there in a few. I'll tell Mirabel. yep... Goodbye”

“What was that about?” Mother asks.

“It’s papa…. He's… dead…” Father says.

“WHAT!?!?!?” My mother and I replied.

“I’m sorry guys...” says father.

We all cried for quite some time. Papa was like my best friend. Papa was there in my hardest times. Papa was always there... Now he's… he’s gone… I’m going to miss him. A lot… Mother wants me to go to the funeral, but I don't want to. I want papa to be here. Not in a coffin, in heaven.

When we finally arrived at Nana's house, I felt like it was missing something, something important... It didn’t feel right without papa there. I hugged Nana and sobbed continuously into her shoulder. After I finally stopped crying it was nearly time for dinner. Nana had made the food that papa used to always make, it used to be my favorite. Chicken parmesan meatballs. After I ate, I cried more because papa used to always make these chicken parmesan meatballs and it made me miss him even more. So much that I cried myself to sleep that night. I miss him so much, I kept saying to myself over and over again that night.

After a few days Mother got a new house and invited Nana to stay with us. Nana wanted to stay at her current house but promised to visit often. We got to our new house and boy, was it huge! I didn’t even know what to say! It felt like it was as big as a mansion! I think it is! I asked mother and father to see my room so I could unpack. When I saw my room, I was shocked! It was huge! A queen size mattress, it was painted my favorite color, White! I EVEN HAD A BALCONY!!!!! I love it so much! I brought all my stuff up to my room. I put up L.E.D lights, fake vines, I put on my lilac bed sheets, I put up my bed side table, dresser, and desk and set out a few candles, and some curtains. I filled up my closet with dresses, shirts, hoodies, and sweaters. I filled my dresser with socks, pants, hats/gloves and any extra clothes. I then opened Snapchat and sent a picture to Izabella. I continued to unpack pillows and blankets. I made my bed, and everything looked perfect. I love it so much. I’m now starting to be happy that I moved. 

A week or so later I started a new school. I was nervous no one would want to be friends with me. OH BOY WAS I WRONG. During lunch so many people came up and tried to be friends with me. I gave each one of them a chance. After a while I would find that some of them are fake. I became one of the popular girls. Or “The nice girl.” I ended up having loads of friends and loads of sleepovers.

My parents took me to the beach almost every weekend when it was warm enough.

After a while I got a surprise at my door. It was Izabella! She came to Colorado and was going to stay with me for a while! I hadn’t seen Iza for so long! Iza ended up moving to Colorado.

It was all a happily ever after.

February 11, 2022 13:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.