Picnic Interruptis

Submitted into Contest #138 in response to: Write a story about an afternoon picnic gone wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of substance abuse.

The trailer was loaded as was the truck. 3 days of beach, good food, round-the-clock AA meetings, and 100’s of people, a lot of who Rory knows. This is a yearly event at Fort Desoto Park, St. Petersburg, Florida. This park was where the Spaniards shot their cannons during the war, and the cannons are still there.   The park is beautiful, has a campsite, showers and treat shacks.   Rory and Seth were attending their 5th year of this annual tradition. When the picnic comes up the campsites go quick. The ‘official’ picnic is Sunday, but everyone wants to get a Friday to Sunday campsite. Some say the raccoons go thru detox because it’s a no beer cans crowd. On the way out Rory’s head snapped back, looking at the passing car. No way she thought, it can’t be. Feeling bad energy, she flipped on the radio and searched for something good. As a musician Rory was picky about what she listened to, preferring her CDs to the blubbering radio. After 30 minutes Rory was still shaken, and she told Seth something was wrong. “Well hell, something is wrong. I don’t know who, how, when, or where but something dark is in the wind.” Traveling down 34th St all the way, Seth was curious,” How strong is it? And not a hint of what it is?” Seth had been with Rory long enough to know that when she has a feeling or says someone is lying or doing something wrong, she is pretty on spot. Rory had been like this for as long as she can remember and when she felt comfortable enough, she told Seth. He laughed and started poking fun at her until she caught him in a lie. Not only did she catch him, but she also described what he did and with who. Seth doesn’t lie to her anymore. Imagine that!

Arriving at the campsite Seth backed the trailer in with ease while Rory moved the table. They unpacked, pitched tents, and went on a stroll. This weekend at this campground is so special, friends everywhere all cooking good food, all recovering alcoholics and their families. This insidious disease bound us together like shipwrecked people hanging on a wooden plank in the ocean. Where to turn. The feelings of many of them. But the stroll was fun, and it rolled into the evening. People walk thru other people’s campsites, stopping off for a taste test and a little talk about how good life is. Then came the midnight meeting, the most spiritual meeting I have ever been to. Under the stars, the water lapping at the shore, in and out, so serene. After the meeting, Rory was ready for some sleep. A lot of people, stories from years and months ago, food, food, food, and lots of hugs set her just right. Rory snuggled up to Seth, trying to get warm. The breeze from the Gulf was a bit chilly and Seth was like an oven. Even though she had a day full of fun and love, she couldn’t shake the omen from the other day.

Saturday came and Seth cooked a big breakfast in case we had strollers. Breakfast is always great cooked outside. But EVERYONE teased Seth for Arriving at the campsite Seth backed the trailer in with ease while Rory moved the table. They unpacked, pitched tents, and went on a stroll. This weekend at this campground is so special, friends everywhere all cooking good food, all recovering alcoholics and their families. This insidious disease bound us together like shipwrecked people hanging on a wooden plank in the ocean. Where to turn. The feelings of many of them. But the stroll was fun, and it rolled into the evening. People walk thru other people’s campsites, stopping off for a taste test and a little talk about how good life is. Then came the midnight meeting, the most spiritual meeting I have ever been to. Under the stars, the water lapping at the shore, in and out, so serene. After the meeting, Rory was ready for some sleep. A lot of people, stories from years and months ago, food, food, food, and lots of hugs set her just right. Rory snuggled up to Seth, trying to get warm. The breeze from the Gulf was a bit chilly and Seth was like an oven. Even though she had a day full of fun and love, she couldn’t shake the omen from the other day.

Saturday came and Seth cooked a big breakfast in case we had strollers. Breakfast is always great cooked outside. But EVERYONE teased Seth for bringing the cappuccino machine. “Roughing huh Seth?? Can’t get away from the fancy stuff Seth?” were the calls by all the guys. Rory and Seth went down to the beach and jumped in to cool off. They played for a bit and Rory came up to the shore while Seth played ball with a bunch of kids. Rory grabbed her lawn chair and drink and kicked back in the sun. She felt so good she dozed a bit. Screaming she jumped up, Seth had poured cold bay water on her shiny, sweaty tummy. Laughing so hard he bent over, Seth proceeded to get beat with a pool noodle by Rory. “Don’t you ever do that again!!!” Seth cracked up “But you’re so much fun babe”. The rest of the day was filled with great food, bands, comedians, magicians, and games for everyone. A few volleyball nets were up, and the park had a basketball hoop. Having attended a few impromptu meetings during the day, Rory and Seth headed back to their site. Turning the radio on Seth started a pot of coffee, every alcoholic’s new drink. They always welcomed friends and had appetizers and gourmet coffee. After about 3 hours Rory was ready for some sunburned sleep. Her skin was hot and blistered and she had one more day to go. But she slept well and wasn’t too keen on getting up at 7:30 am.

Sunday morning the sun reflected brightly on the water, begging sunglasses as wear. “Are you having a good time?” Seth asked Rory as he pulled her to him by her shirttail. Wrapping his arms around her, he squeezed and asked “Well?” 

“I’m having a great time. So many people we know, lots of great food and fellowship, and fantastic weather. And of course, I have a great man to do it with.” Responded Rory, snuggling even closer. “I know what I want for breakfast. Eggs, bacon, and toast.” Rory piped over the conversation of Seth and a couple of guys stopping for coffee. It is going to be a long day and breakfast is necessary. The guys left, headed for the next site, and Rory and Seth sat down to eat. As happy as Rory was, she still had a feeling of dread.

After breakfast, they headed over to the main beach where all the bands, games, and other entertainment was. An average of 2,000 people attend every year, all walks of life, race, you name it. Alcoholism is an equal opportunity disease. After a few games of volleyball and stopping along the way to chat, Rory headed back to the campsite to start the food for the main picnic. The burgers had been patted out and seasoned, and the brats were cut bun length, all ready to go. The meat leads the baked beans, fire-roasted corn on the cob, and Seth’s famous Caesar Salad. All topped off by Rory’s decadent dump cake for dessert. Everyone cooks a lot all weekend, but Sunday is the feast day, and they cook more for the company to their site. Some cooked lamb, steaks, chicken, and just about anything you can imagine was at that picnic.

Rory was still alone making sure everything is ready to go and heating the grill when she heard a loud car that was revving its engine and her stomach sunk. Looking up she saw the old white van without mufflers on it and the 3 nightmares of her life. It was Ray, her ex-husband, and Chris and Jason, the 2 kids from the marriage. As they got out of the car, they started calling out bitch, lousy mom, liar. Rory’s heart was in her throat, but her head was as clear as a mountain spring, calculating the distance between her and them, and the distance to the butcher knife. “I am going to ruin your freakin life you lousy bitch” Ray growled in his tobacco-soaked voice. He was a wrinkled old man who was nasty both personality-wise and physically. And he was just plain evil. Ruining people’s lives without reason, especially Rory’s. The boys joined in in the catcalls as they came into the campsite, knocking the meat onto the ground, dumping the beans, and just as they went for the salad Rory picked up the butcher knife and in her hardest voice demanded “Stop this right now or I will slice the next arm that gets in there. And you two, I am your mother and who do you think you are? Some feeble, nasty old man gives you courage?” She was furious and trying to hold the tears back when she heard someone running down the road. Seth ran up to the site and pulled his 45, pointing until he caught his breath. “Ok jackass. I was on the beach and some friends told me something may be wrong. I don’t care what you think you want, you will clean up the mess you made, then you will get into the stupid mobile and go, leave.” They did clean up the mess and got in the car. When they left they spun out and got stopped by the police.

Seth looked at Rory, “You ok? Looked like you had it.”

“Yeh, I had it under control. So, what now?” Rory didn’t know what to do. Let’s go for a stroll and eat around.” Said Seth. With a half-cocked grin, he said “Well there goes the picnic.”

March 25, 2022 17:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.