5 comments

Bedtime Coming of Age Inspirational

It was a typical weekday morning in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Mary was getting ready for her shift at the local coffee shop. As she stood in front of the mirror, trying to tame her unruly curls into some semblance of a hairstyle, she couldn't help but feel a sense of frustration. No matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't seem to express herself the way she wanted to.

Ever since she was a child, Mary had struggled to find the right words to convey her thoughts and feelings. She was often told that she was "too quiet" or "too shy," and as she grew older, she became increasingly self-conscious about her inability to articulate herself. She would watch her friends and family members effortlessly carry on conversations, telling stories and making jokes, while she struggled to come up with something to say. It wasn't that she didn't have anything to say – far from it. Mary's mind was constantly racing with ideas and observations, but no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't seem to get the words out.

As she left her apartment and made her way to the coffee shop, Mary tried to push these thoughts to the back of her mind. She had a job to do, and she was determined to do it well. She had been working at the coffee shop for a few months now, and while it wasn't exactly her dream job, it was a good place to start. The owner, Mr. Thompson, was a kind man who seemed to genuinely care about his employees, and the other staff members were friendly and welcoming. Mary enjoyed interacting with the customers, even if it was just to take their orders and hand them their drinks.

But despite her best efforts, Mary couldn't shake the feeling that she was somehow letting herself and everyone else down. She knew she was intelligent and capable, but she just couldn't seem to find the right words to prove it. It was as if there was a wall between her thoughts and the outside world, and no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't seem to break through it.

As the day went on, Mary tried to focus on her work and push these negative thoughts aside. But it was difficult, and she found herself struggling to keep up with the constant stream of orders and customers. She was just about to take a break when Mr. Thompson called her over to the counter.

"Mary, I need to talk to you for a minute," he said, his voice serious.

Mary's heart sank. Was she about to be fired? Had she done something wrong? She racked her brain, trying to think of any mistakes she might have made, but she couldn't come up with anything.

"Don't look so worried," Mr. Thompson said, noticing the look of panic on Mary's face. "It's not that kind of conversation. I just wanted to talk to you about something that's been on my mind lately."

He paused for a moment, collecting his thoughts. "I've noticed that you've been struggling a bit lately. You're a hard worker and a valuable member of the team, but it seems like you're having a tough time communicating with the customers. I know it's not easy, but it's an important part of the job. I want to help you improve in this area if I can."

Mary's heart swelled with gratitude. She had been so worried that Mr. Thompson was going to criticize her, but instead, he was offering to help her. She wasn't sure what to say, so she just nodded, unable to find the words to express her gratitude.

"I understand if you're not comfortable talking about it," Mr. Thompson continued

Mary had always struggled with finding the right words to express her thoughts and feelings. She was a deeply introspective person, and she had a rich inner life full of ideas and emotions. But no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't seem to translate those thoughts and feelings into words that others could understand.

As a result, Mary had always felt like an outcast. She had never been able to fully express herself or connect with others, and she often felt misunderstood and alone. She longed to be able to share her thoughts and feelings with others, but she just couldn't seem to find the right words.

But despite her struggles, Mary joined a writing competition. She had always been a talented writer, and she knew that she had the potential to create something truly special. So she set to work, pouring her heart and soul into her essay.

For days, Mary sat at her desk, pouring over her words and trying to find the perfect way to express herself. She wrote and rewrote, searching for the right combination of words to convey her thoughts and feelings. But no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't seem to get it right.

As the deadline for the competition drew closer, Mary began to feel more and more discouraged. She had worked so hard on her essay, but she just couldn't seem to find the right words. She was starting to lose hope, and she was beginning to wonder if she would ever be able to express herself effectively.

But just when she was about to give up, something clicked. Suddenly, the words started flowing, and Mary found herself writing with a newfound sense of clarity and purpose. She wrote and wrote, pouring her heart and soul into every word. And when she was finished, she knew that she had created something truly special.

The judges of the competition were amazed by Mary's essay, and they selected it as the winner. Mary was thrilled, and she was grateful to have finally found a way to express herself and connect with others through her writing.

From that moment on, Mary knew that she had found her true calling. She continued to write, using her words to express herself and connect with others in a way that she had never been able to before. And as she grew and learned, she discovered that the most powerful words were the ones that came straight from the heart.

December 20, 2022 06:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Hannah K
03:08 Dec 27, 2022

Such a sweet story! I relate to this because I was also very shy as a child and young adult. (I still am, but have come out of my shell somewhat.) The second paragraph of your story describing Mary's social experiences might as well have been describing me during my younger years. Perhaps it describes the experiences of many creative, introspective people. In sharing our writing, we truly do connect with others and learn how much we have in common! I love how Mary found her voice through writing! Finding a creative outlet is so important! ...

Reply

Khadijah Jay
18:21 Dec 29, 2022

I think we call can relate to something in Mary I totally understand why she would use writing as a creative outlet. 🌷

Reply

Hannah K
17:31 Jan 05, 2023

Absolutely! Sometimes when I get mentally stuck, writing is the one thing that can pull me out again.

Reply

Khadijah Jay
18:35 Jan 05, 2023

It's Such a therapeutic tool, that builds self-awareness and confidence. You know if you are good at writing or not. You can just feel it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Yolonda Beverly
12:08 Feb 10, 2023

I can deeply relate to this story. I am quite the shy one still today and it is hard for me to express myself. It hinders me in the workplace and other areas of my life, but like Mary I also found my voice in writing. Beautiful story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.