THE SHADOWS OF GREYWOOD MANOR

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: Set your story in a countryside house that’s filled with shadows.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Fiction Romance

Lynette is the most excited she has been in a long time. Today she gets to go outside, not that the beautiful country mansion isn't nice, but she just can't wait to feel the sun for the first time in her life. She puts the finishing touches on the dress she chose for this momentous occasion.

She squeezes through her friends and heads for the doorway, passing the mountain silhouette of furniture stacked atop each other and covered with sheets to keep the dust away for the season. Lynette, along with her room's ladies crowd the door, waiting for the right moment, noon, when the sun is at its strongest.

It is crowded today, most people have come out to witness this great event, the coming out of the 18—year old girls, definitely the most important event in a girl's life. The party gathers in the foyer and Lynette is able to get a glimpse of the outdoors. There is already a gathering out in the courtyard. As the steward reads their names, the girls, one by one, make their way outside. She is up next. 

“Lynette Meriweather, daughter of the duchess and the late duke,” her name is announced.

She walks onto the front steps, the crowd applauds, she feels like a princess. As Lynette walks down the steps, the sun's beams shine down on her, she feels strong and glowing. It is the most wonderful feeling in the world. The excitement of the outdoors stirs her concentration and she bumps into a man. 

“Apologies, sir, I didn't mean to,—” she starts, but he cuts her off.

“No apologies necessary, miss,” he says as he puts one hand to his stomach, another behind his back and takes a bow. 

He is tall, dressed in a long, slick jacket and top hat. The outline of his contours is sharp, his dark black silhouette contrasts strongly against the white warm glow of the stone courtyard. 

“John, pleased to make your acquaintance,” he says as he takes her hand and kisses it.

Lynette introduces herself and they start strolling around, talking. After what felt to her like mere minutes, the bell tolls, it is four o'clock. 

Lynette jumps, “we better go,” she says and turns back toward the mansion. 

Before she can give a step, John takes her arm. “We have time,” he says.

“I have heard the horror stories of what happens to those who stay past the bell, I don't fancy being taken by the darkness,” she says firmly and starts walking back.

“You must tell me we'll meet again tomorrow, the same place,”

Lynette hesitates, she has never done this before, it is her first courtship.

“I'll be there,” she says and hurries off before the sun sets.

Everyone is making their way back to the mansion. They can't be outside when the sun sets. Shadows can only live in the light. The Greywood mansion is inhabited by shadows.

Hurrying back to her room, Lynette is excited to tell her mother of the man she had met. As she reaches the top of the stairs, she sees her mother at the other end of the hall going into a room with a strange man. Lynette rushes over. She peeks through the doorway, the room is crowded with shadows, waiting to go to sleep. Her mother is in one corner, talking to the man. Lynette manages to sneak closer.

“John and Lynette should not spend time together,” she hears the man say.

“I agree,” says her mother. 

Lynette runs out of the room, confused. She hurries back to their room, a million questions rushing through her mind. Who was that man? What were they talking about? 

Her mother enters the room and Lynette attempts to lead her mother to give her the answers.

“You are later than usual, mother,” she starts.

“Hmm,” her mother nods. “So how was your day out?” she asks. 

“It was wonderful, mother, but how was your day?” 

“Fine,” her mother replied. “Did you meet any interesting people?”

“I did, actually, Johnathan Whitlock, but you already knew that,” says Lynette. 

Her mother looks at her, shocked at Lynette's candid reply. “I did?”

“I just saw you talking to a man, about how we can't spend time together. What is the meaning of that?”

“John's father and I just don't think that you two are a good match. You don't have much in common, and it is important that you find a good match in due time for the wedding season,” Lynette's mother points out. 

Lynette gets the feeling her mother is not being completely honest with her. How would their parents know whether they are a good match or not? It's not like they knew what John and Lynette were thinking or feeling. 

“We don't know much about each other yet, that's all. I'm sure we'll change your mind once we've spent more time together,” Lynette attempts to convince her mother. 

“You will not be spending more time together dear, I will find you a better match.”

John enters his room and his father is already waiting. Excitedly he starts to tell his father of the young woman he met. 

“Yes,” says sir Harold, “I know of your meeting with this girl. I discussed this with her mother.”

John is confused, he had no idea his father knew the duchess. 

“What exactly did you discuss, father?”

“The duchess and I agreed that you and Lynette are not to become involved. You are simply not suited.”

John is thrown. All his life his father had been supporting his every decision. Why would his father question his match with Lynette?

“What makes you say this?” John asks.

“The duchess and I compared you as a match and found your compatibility wanting.” 

Something about his father's tone of voice doesn't sit right with John. “Be truthful, father. What is your concern?”

“John,” his father says, “I think it is time I tell you a story.”

When morning comes, Lynette ensures to leave the room before her mother. She will go to see John and tell him everything her mother said. She has faith that he will be at their meeting place. 

After an hour waiting for John at the tree in the center of the courtyard, Lynette realizes that he won't be coming. His father must have forbade him to see her, just like her mother did. She can't believe he didn't show up.

Lynette finds John by the gazebo. “I was looking for you, why were you not at our meeting place?”

John stares off into the distance, quietly. 

“Did your father have a talk with you as well?” she asks. 

“We should be no more than acquaintances,” John snaps.

“What?” Lynette felt betrayed and embarrassed. “What about yesterday, the time we spent together. I felt a connection, I know you did too.”

“Regardless, we are not a good match.”

Lynette blinks her eyes quickly, her cheeks are flushed. “Nonsense!” she says sternly. “Your father is just trying to influence you. He has some kind of agreement with my mother, I overheard them.” 

“My father told me of your mother's betrayal, it is best if our families are not connected,” says John.

Lynette is shocked, “what betrayal?”

John sighs, “years ago, when your mother was your age, she was in a courtship with my father. He intended to propose and made these intentions clear to her. My father had to go abroad to visit his grandparents. Unfortunately, they were delayed to return. He wrote your mother daily to explain and ask for her patience, but when he returned, your mother had married the duke.”

Lynette is speechless, how could her mother do something like that?

“I would not want my father to have to live through that pain every day, that's why I think it's best for us to end our relationship.” John's voice is low and shaky, Lynette can tell this causes him pain. “We'll be cordial of course, exchange pleasantries whenever we meet, but nothing more.”

Lynette reaches for his hand. John clears his throat and walks away, leaving her alone and humiliated. Her heartache was soon replaced with anger and resentment. She had to confront her mother, if the duchess can make things right there could still be a chance for her and John.

Lynette finds her mother in the rose garden and repeats John's confession.

“Is this true, mother?” asks Lynette. 

“Well, yes, but you must understand, he was away for more than a month and the season was coming to an end. I didn't want to be a bachelorette for another season,” she tries to explain.

“I can't believe you would do that, mother,” Lynette says, disappointed. 

Lynette leaves their room, she must find John and convince him that they can be together. It is late already, everyone is coming in. How will she find John in this hive of shadows? From among the many bobbing heads, Lynette sees a familiar hat. She rushes to it and grabs the man's arm.

“John,” she sighs of relief as she looks on the familiar contours of his face. She pulls him away from the crowd into a small closet. 

“I confronted my mother and she confirmed your father's story. I had no idea she was this selfish. I'm embarrassed.” Lynette lowers her head into her hands.

John takes her hands in his, “you did not make that decision for the duchess, you should not be embarrassed.”

“I want to be with you,” Lynette says.

“Then we shall be together.”

“I walk by the gazebo every day before tea. Be there and we can spend a few minutes together,” says Lynette. 

John kisses Lynette's hands and she starts to walk away. 

“Wear a different hat,” she says before leaving.

As morning arrives, Lynette can hardly wait to go on her usual walk around to the gazebo. As soon as the sun is high enough, she bids her mother farewell and rushes out of the mansion. 

Today's sun is the brightest Lynette has ever witnessed, how wonderful it makes her feel. She slowly strolls through the courtyard, trying not to attract too much attention to herself. Everyone seems to be going about their usual business. The ladies gossiping, the men discussing news events and business, everyone lounging about in the sun. 

Just as Lynette is about to reach the steps to the footpath, she spots sir Harold emerging from the east wing of the mansion. Did he see her? She rushes down the steps and out of sight. Perhaps he did not see her.

Lynette walks quickly down the footpath to the gazebo, but stops when she sees him sitting there, John. He is wearing a different hat and coat, to not be as easily recognizable, but she knew him in an instant. 

“Lynette,” John smiles as she climbs up the steps of the gazebo. He kisses her hand.

“Did anyone spot you?” he asks.

“I saw your father, but I think I went by unnoticed.”

John and Lynette talk for a while. She throws seeds to the pigeons from the gazebo and John sits on the bench so they look inconspicuous. 

In the distance, Lynette sees a woman approaching, as she comes closer Lynette realizes it's her mother. 

“You should go, quick,” says Lynette.

John quickly gets up. He folds his coat collar upward and hunches his shoulders. 

“Until our next meeting,” he whispers and then walks up the path. He keeps his head low as he passes the duchess, who barely notices him.

“Lynette,” The duchess gestures for her daughter to meet her. 

Lynette sighs softly and goes to her mother. The duchess grabs her daughter's arm and they walk back up the path.

“I have just spoken to the Earl of Greywood, his son is back on the market. It seems that the girl he was courting was not to his mother's liking. We should move right away.”

Lynette's heart sank. She is reminded that her mother wishes to marry her off as soon as possible, to a suitor of her mother's standards, of course.

'I'll just play along,' she thinks to herself, 'pretend until John and I can be together.'

As they approach the rose garden, Lynette sees a swarm of ladies in the tea room, the Earl's son must be in there. Honestly, what comes over these girls when an eligible bachelor is near must be worse than any condition. They turn from innocent, sweet girls to wild animals, hissing and clawing at one another. Desperate to win the fight, a fight to the death. 

The duchess pulls Lynette into the tea room. 

“I found her,” the duchess announces, “she was feeding the pigeons.”

The duchess pushes Lynette toward the man. 

“Darling, this is Charles, the Earl's son,”

Charles gives an over extravagant bow and grabs Lynette's hand. 

“Delighted,” he says and gives a coy smile.

Lynette returns a polite grin.

“You should take a stroll, get to know each other,” the duchess suggests.

Charles holds out his arm and Lynette halfheartedly takes it. He leads her off on a slow walk around the rose garden, telling her all about his family, frequently reminding her that he is the Earl's first-born son. Charles talks about his travels and his plans for the future, but his favorite subject is him. His accomplishments, his hobbies, his strengths, his hair. He really is a bore. 

Lynette finds herself almost laughing in relief when the bell rings and everyone is called inside for the night. She bids Charles a farewell and practically gallops back to her room. 

“Mother,” Lynette demands her mother's attention as she enters the room. “Charles is the biggest bore I have ever met, why did you introduce us?” 

“He's the Earl's son, you can't well expect to do any better than him.”

“But mother, I am not interested in Charles —”

Her mother cuts her off. “Nonsense, you are well suited for each other. You will give him your time while I arrange with his parents.”

“You mean for me to marry him?” Lynette sounds panicked. 

“Of course, you can't expect my intention is for you to remain friends.” her mother points out.

John is the first thing Lynette thinks about as these words hit her ears.

As Lynette sits in the tea room with the duchess and the other ladies, gossiping and gushing over her new relationship with the Earl's son, her mind can't help but wander to John. She hasn't seen him in two days. Is he waiting for her? Is he worried about her? Has he given up on her? The women's laughter interrupts her thoughts and she s pulled back to the cold, harsh reality. This will be the rest of her life if she marries Charles. 

There is a cooing across the room, it is Charles, he walks over to their table. 

“Ladies, might I steel Lynette for a moment?” he asks.

Fearing for her single life, Lynette hesitates, “I am rather comfortable here,”

“I'll join you then,” he sits in a chair and takes a cup of tea.

Charles takes Lynette's hand and starts reciting some or other romantic poetry, she is too distracted to pay attention. There is a quiet pause and then she hears her mother say, “of course she will.” Every one applauds and Lynette realizes what just happened when she sees Charles on one knee with a ring in his hand. 

“No!” Lynette exclaims and runs out of the tea room.

“John. Oh dear John,” Lynette says when she reaches the gazebo. 

“What is the trouble?” he asks.

“He means to marry me. He just proposed and my mother accepted.”

“Wait, slow down. Who means to marry you?”

Lynette plops down on the bench, “the Earl's son!” Her voice is high and shaky. 

“Your mother accepted?” John asks, but he's slightly scared to know the answer.

“Indeed,” Lynette is close to tears. 

“No,” John says strongly, “we will run away together, now. Get your belongings.”

“Run away and go where?”

“France,” John says and pulls Lynette to her feet. 

He starts leading her up the path to the mansion. Just then, the bell tolls. Everyone will rush to make their way back before the sun sets. 

“We'll never make it unseen before sunset,” Lynette panics. 

“Never mind then,” says John.

He stops and turns toward Lynette. Holding her hands in his, they look at each other. 

“If we can't be together in life, we'll be together in death,” he says.

Lynette looks confused. John nods his head toward the sunset. 

“You must be mad,” says Lynette. 

“We'll never be together any other way. Do you want to marry Charles?”

Lynette pauses. This is insanity. 

She looks at the sunset. The first few inches of shadow is already creeping up the hill. 

Lynette kicks off her shoes.

“Let's go!”

The couple start running to the slowly creeping shadow of the night. Someone from the crowd spots them and calls out to the duchess, who comes in a moment, followed by Sir Harold. 

“What are they doing?” someone yells.

“Stop them!” the duchess demands and a few men start running in the couple's direction.

John and Lynette make it to the border between light and dark. It moves slowly. 

“As we stand here on the edge of life and death, I am certain that you are worth dying for. That nothing in my life has ever given me more pleasure than our time together. I am not afraid of the darkness of the night's shadow, for nowhere can be dark when the light of your heart is there to guide us,” John says.

The three men realize they're attempt to save the couple is futile and they turn back to save themselves. 

The couple hold each other in a tight embrace.

As soon as the darkness touches their feet, they are sucked into it and the shadow continues to creep up the hill.

May 07, 2021 16:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.