As The Truffles Cool

Submitted into Contest #133 in response to: Set your story in a confectionery shop.... view prompt

1 comment

Romance Holiday Happy

I flick on the light, my key jangling as I pull it from the lock with a sigh, glimpsing the fresh sign I had made. Bailey’s Goodies and cannot contain my smile. I push the door closed and dump my stuff behind the counter, swiping an arm across my forehead. Owning your own business means never having a day off. It’s rough, but I’d never give it up. 

I move through the kitchen, pulling supplies from the neat shelves as I make my way toward the fridge at the back. The countertop cluttered with baking supplies and ingredients. I place a pot on the stovetop to heat while I pour heavy cream into it. I leave it while I place the chocolate into a bowl and dump the butter on top. Turning back to the cream, I whisk it for an even simmer. 

As the steam rises and bubbles appear, showing the liquid is ready, my thoughts veer away from my current task. This morning’s early tryst with last night’s dessert. 

I shake the thoughts from my head and remove the cream from the element, gently pouring it over the pile in the bowl, and set the pot aside. I watch the chocolate slowly melt into the cream, turning it beige, and thoughts of last night invade me once more. How I had melted just the same under Jasper’s touch, hot as heated cream. 

I take a deep breath and release it long before adding the vanilla and stirring the mixture, fully melting the chocolate. Switching gears, I grab my phone and turn on my favourite playlist. I let the music take me and move to the beat. The melody sweeps me away as I pour the mixture into several shallow glass pans. 

I shake the spoon around, singing along before setting it on the counter. These need to be ready. Today is Valentine’s Day and these are my bestsellers. I hurry in placing plastic wrap over the solidifying gooiness and place them in the fridge. 

I gather the dishes, letting the music take me as I clean the area, my voice belting out in my empty shop. The music moves with me as I spin around, waiting for the sink to fill, my heart soaring. Jasper’s face pops into my thoughts and my cheeks heat. I slow my movements and fan myself. I turn the music up, hoping to drown out my increasing desire. This is my business’s time. My private life will have to wait.

The water is hot and only serves to increase my discomfort. I shake myself and continue swaying to the music. Valentine’s Day, the day of romance, trysts, sexual tension, desire, and love. Yet somehow chocolate has gotten mixed into it all. Tilting my head to the side, I stare into the darkening pool of water. Perhaps it’s less about the chocolate and flowers and more about the feeling it brings, that someone cared enough to remember you. 

I close my eyes, feeling my way around and sink into the music, letting it surround me, be all that I hear. Strong arms wrap around my middle and hold me against a solid chest. My eyes snap open and I spin to face my trespasser, breaking free from the hold. I had the only key, and I had locked the door… Hadn’t I? Maybe I’d forgotten. 

I let out a shaky breath as I spot those dark chocolate eyes of his, his dark hair hanging them. His head ducked from nuzzling my neck and inhaling me. “Don’t do that. You nearly gave me a heart attack. Why didn’t you call?”

“Well, it wouldn’t be much of a surprise if I’d called.”

I smile hesitantly. “Surprise?”

“Yes, it is Valentine’s Day after all.”

I sigh, my eyes holding his. “You know I’m working. Today is a very busy day. More than that, it’s the business that I need. I cannot afford to be closed today. I thought you understood.”

He wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me against him. The smell of cedar and mint envelopes me, mixing with the smell of the melting chocolate clinging to the air. “I do understand, believe me. It’s not about that. I didn’t do this for me.”

I shake my head, shrugging, my hands stretching out at my sides as I move out of his arms reluctantly. “Then why do it when you know I’m busy?”

His eyes soften, and he smiles. “Because even you deserve a break. Even you deserve to hear how important you are, how much I love you and how much I appreciate everything you do. To hear how brave I think you are for following your dreams, no matter how hard it’s been. That you are the most amazing person I’ve ever met in my life and I am the luckiest guy alive that I get bragging rights about you having chosen me.”

My hands flop to my sides, my lungs trapping the air in and refusing to accept more. Tears well in my eyes and I purse my lips to keep from sobbing, forming a knot in my stomach. He sinks to his knees and envelopes my lower half in his muscular arms, holding me against him, his head cradled against my stomach.

His voice is quieter from the increased distance. “And I hardly feel worthy of kneeling before you.”

The tears fall and I’m helpless against them. I let them fall, my heart lifting as each one slips from my chin to the floor. I sniffle and wipe my eyes, cradling his head in my arms. 

After several minutes, the tears slow and he stands, holding me against him. “And you are so beautiful. Thank you for being exactly who you are.” He plants a heavy kiss on my lips, not giving me time to respond. My emotions swirl, each fighting for dominance.

He pulls away and my head spins. His grin turns playful, a hunger growing in his eyes and not one for chocolate truffles. His eyes scan over my curves, eating me before he even gets a taste. 

A heat burns inside me as my heart pounds. I wipe my damp cheeks and pull him in for another kiss. When I pull away, fresh tears have pooled in my eyes. “You always know the right thing to say.”

He shrugs. “This day is always stressful for you.” He looks thoughtful for a moment, as though considering something important. “As a matter of fact. There is another way to alleviate and curb stress.” 

My eyes widen as I look around us. “We can’t do that here. Do you want them to shut me down?”

“Not here.” He places a trail of kisses from my collarbone to my jaw. My willpower wavers with each set of his lips. “Back in the office, where you’re in charge.”

Heat courses through my veins at the thought. I force my head to shake as I lean away from his touch and my need for it. “I can’t, the truffles.” 

He smirks, eyeing me. “I saw you put the pans in there only ten minutes ago at most. I know things from all the years we’ve been together, listening to you talk about chocolate. You taught me things. I was there when you tested it. Factly, it takes at least an hour for them to cool. But nice try.” 

I bite my lip to keep from grabbing him and tearing his clothes off right here in the kitchen. What a health and safety hazard that would be. They’d shut me down for sure. Still, heat pushes me toward him and I pull him closer, grabbing his lips with mine. I push him away, grabbing his arm and marching him toward the back office. “This has to be quick.” A sternness in my voice stern as I speak, commanding.

“Yes, ma’am.” 

My heart stops and butterflies capture my stomach. 

“Your every wish is my pleasure.”

“And because we’re losing time, you’re going to stay and help make the cookies. He raises his hands in surrender. Don’t I usually stay to help with the cookies? I’m getting quite good at them.”

I roll my eyes and push him against the door. “Now take off those pants. Never thought I’d mix business with pleasure. But I guess people change.” He pulls me against him and shuts the door.

February 17, 2022 16:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Francis Daisy
03:06 Mar 07, 2022

LOL! Timing is everything, right? Great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.