Magic Real Estate

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

1 comment

Mystery



    

    There was one particular house on

 Pinetree road, deep in the Magic forest. This house was full of magic. Of course all houses in the Magic forest are magical. But this house was the most magical in the forest.


    It was home to Mrs.Benny and Mr. Benny. Mrs. Benny was a great cook and believed in everything. She believes in the forest fairies to the gnomes. Which were all true in fact but as years went by magic was fading at least in the humans minds. Mr.Benny loved to dream. He loved to dream so much that he sometimes messed up whatever he was doing. One time he was painting the house while he was dreaming of mint chocolate chip ice cream he was going to have after dinner. Instead of painting the house white he accidentally painted the house a mint green that was supposed to be used on the fringe. Why did Mrs.Benny give him a piece of her mind. That night no mint chocolate chip ice cream was served to Mr.Benny. 


   It was hard to find a real estate agent for any houses in the Magic forest. So when they finally found a young female agent for the forest who was fond of magic when she was a girl  the forest was overjoyed and the girl was thrilled to be hired. On her first day Rosie, who was the real estate agent, decided to visit every house in the forest. She wanted to map the whole forest so she would have a paper map to show her clients. She also wanted pictures of selling houses. She visited pinewood road first. It was an interesting road in the sense of houses. The house that caught Rosie’s eye was Miss.Benny and Mr.Benny house. 


   The outside was so  magical looking. When you walked up to it you would see a colorful walkway filled with chalk drawings. After that you would see a door shaped like a teapot. The rest of those house, outside was mint green due to Mr. Benny’s mistake. Then inside the house you would see a closet door right in front of you and you would walk through many coats and hangers. There was no way in the house until you opened the closet door. Once you opened the closet door you would be in a house where you become a board game piece. You would have to play the game in order to move about the house. After you win the game it would transform you into another game piece and play until you win that game. The process would then repeat over and over until you reached the top floor. When you weren’t playing a game the house transformed into a magic wood land or the desert it all depends. One of the closets gave Mrs and Mr. Benny anything they needed, perhaps a new tea kettle or a bright orange pillow to brighten up the room. Mrs. Benny always said that the house transformed to fit your needs and the neighbors all thought she was a crazy old lady.    


   The day Rosie walked up to Benny's house she stumbled upon a rock and hurt her leg. Mr..Benny saw her and helped her up. Mr.Benny brought her inside. Rosie was thrilled to be brought into such a house. When they opened the closet door Rosie was amazed she became a board piece. They were playing Monopoly but since Rosies leg was bad Mr.Benny helped her move  along the board.


   After she got all the way upstairs to the end of the board game Mr.Benny called for Mrs.Benny. She brought a plate of freshly baked cookies for Rosie and an ice pack. Don’t mind if I do said  Mr.Benny grabbing a cookie right before Mrs. Benny handed them to Rosie. “Those aren’t for you!” Said Mrs.Benny scolding Mr.Benny. “Oh I could have sworn those were for me.” said Mr.Benny. “He does have a big sweet tooth.” said Mrs.Benny whispering to Rosie. “ Sure do!” replied Mr.Benny rubbing his tummy.


    Rosie giggled and her ice pack fell.  Now everyone was having a laughing fit.

I don’t think we have been properly introduced. My name is Rosie Marie Mastery and I am your new real estate agent. Your forest gnomes hired me to be the real estate agent for any of the houses in this forest. And who are you? “I am Mrs.Benny and here is my husband Mr.Benny.” Said Mrs.Benny.

“Gnomes fascinate me, they are so hard working and small!” exclaimed Rosie. “Yes, it seems everyone has forgotten about magic even though this forest is run by Gnomes, fairies, and wizards.” Said Mrs.Benny. Now Mr.Benny pipes up yes why if people don’t start to believe this wood could be gone by next week. “It happens so very fast.”said Mrs.Benny. “Well as your new real estate agent I will personally tell my clients about the mysteries of this wood.” Marked Rosie. “Thank you but it will take much more than a pep talk.” Said Mrs.Benny. “Yes, it will take courage and potential to take on this quest!” Mr. Benny triumphantly!  “What are you talking about?” Marked Rosie confused. “What he’s getting at sweetheart is that it takes someone courageous with much potential to conquer this mission that you're getting at.” Said Mrs.Benny. “Oh!”exclaimed Rosie. Then Rosie said their goodbyes to Mrs. and Mr.Benny. 


   Rosie  was delighted with her visit to Mr and Mrs. Benny's mystical house. Plus Rosie was invited over for cookies and milk  everyday with Mrs.Benny to discuss Rosie's mission. Rosie pulled out her pens and paper and started to map out the houses. After she finished the map she took pictures of each house.


   The next day Rosie went straight to Mrs.Benny’s house and had cookies and milk with her. Mrs.Benny was a great backer and made mouth watering cookies. Rosie’s leg still hurt she still had the crutches which were from the closet that gave the Benny’s everything they needed, that helped her move along the board game. This time it was candy land. The cookies were delicious but it was soon time to go. Mrs.Benny gave Rosie a couple of cookies for a snack for the day. It really helped because after meeting and talking to her clients Rosie was all tuckered out. Rosie thought she had accomplished many things that day. She got half of her clients to believe in the magic of the forest. The other half was still uneasy about the idea but Rosie was sure they would come to their senses sooner or later.


   Later that night Rosie flopped onto her bed in her small apartment. She was on the 30th floor of a one hundred floor tall building. Rosie lived in a wood called High Sky  which meant that many things are overly tall. When she woke up she heard the sound of Larrings chirping. Larring’s are a type of creature that had wings and feathers and a beak. They are just like a bird except for their height. Since they only live in High Sky they are 90 feet tall and can smush someone like a pancake with their talons. The one that Rosie encountered outside her window was  Rosie’s friend since she saved him from a raven when he was only a foot tall. Rosie has named this particular Larring Ringo from his annoying tweeting tone that sounds like an alarm clock. Rosie loved Ringo. In fact he gave her a ride to Magic forest because it would take hours to walk over there but with Ringoit was only a few feet away. 


    That day Rosie left with her backpack full of paper, pens, maps, and photos. She also had a pack of bird seed for Ringo as a treat. Then she and Ringo were off to Magic forest. On her ride Rosie saw another type of creature called a Squinky. A Squinky is almost like an inchworm except that it eats book pages. It winked at Rosie and  she winked back. Rosie took a picture and chuckled and looked around at the scenery. At the end of the ride Ringo has Rosie slide off it’s wing. Then Rosie gave Ringo so bird seed and ran over to Mrs.Benny’s house. She already had milk and cookies on the table.


   “Hi Mrs.Benny!” said Rosie. “Mmmm delicious!” Said Rosie biting into a warm cookie dipped in milk. “How are you dear?”asked Mrs.Benny. “ Good I think, I did get half of the forest to believe in Magic but it’s hard to say.” Said Rosie. “Yes!” exclaimed Mrs.Benny. “Wow half the forest! I do say you have a gnat for persuading!” Marked Mrs.Benny. “You're too kind Mrs.Benny!” Said Rosie. “Well you must be off.” said Mrs. Benny. “Yes, goodbye and thank you!” exclaimed Rosie on her way out of the house.


     For years Rosie had a pet cat named Misty. It was an all black cat with a bright cherry blossom red collar with a tiny bell. Rosie brought Misty along that day. Misty was a loving cat and helped Rosie persuade the forest to believe in the Magic. Today only a quarter of the forest didn’t believe in the Magic of the forest. Rosie was overjoyed, her mission was almost over or so she thought. 


     The next day after her visit with Mrs.Benny Rosie and Misty grabbed their bike and rode around to houses to persuade more people and creatures about the magic. At the end of the day there was only one person left to persuade. It was Miss.Granger, a frail old lady who believed in nothing but her little fat pussy cats. She had millions of cats. She had every kind of cat. 


    The next day Rosie tried again. Mrs.Granger settled and let Rosie into her living room. Rosie sat and one of Granger's one of her cats named Prawls sat on Rosies lap taking Misty’s place. Miss.Granger started to soak she said that she used to love fairies and gnomes and still believes in the Magic of the forest. “I didn’t tell you because I wanted to see what you would do.You have perseverance and you must take on another mission.” Said Miss.Granger. “I already have a mission,”said Rosie. “ I think you have completed  your mission” said Miss.Granger, smiling.








April 18, 2020 02:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Very imaginative! I loved the creativity with the Bennys’ house!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.