0 comments

Horror Suspense Fiction

I know where I am. I just don't know when I got here. Or how.

I don't know many things all of a sudden. But I also know many things all of a sudden. I know that this road has no end. I also know I'm supposed to be here for a few days. I don't know what day it is, I also don't know the time. But I do know that I shouldn't stay in one place for a long time. Doing such would cause the feeling to be followed…I could be followed.

I know food will come every so often when I walk. I don't know how it will be there, but I don't question it.

I also know when it becomes dark, a car will start driving through the road. It doesn't go fast, like a slow pace. Inside the car, it will look dark or it will appear to know one's inside. But I shouldn't look at it. I shouldn't go inside it either. I should never go inside of it, no matter what.

But I'm safe here either way, I just have to follow the rules. But I have an 80% survival rate.

Currently, I walk through the endless road. I walk on the side, the orange dusty ground is most of the entertainment I have. I like looking at the dust that arises as I walk. I am careful not to make any noise with my feet or at all. I am sure there is no rule against making noise even though it is not recommended. But I feel if I do make noise something bad will happen. I always have this strange feeling of fear and paranoia which causes me to look at my back every so often. I make sure to scan the area for the food left for me. Eventually, I did find it. It's on a plastic white plate and there is a plastic fork for me on the plate. But I don't need a fork. It's just a plate of fries. My drink is in one of those red party cups and it has some red liquid. It could be fruit punch. I made sure to eat all my food but to not take my time. As I said, it wasn't good to stay in one place for a long time. By the time I was finished eating, the sense of dread and paranoia overcame me and I immediately got up and started walking. This time, I started walking faster because I knew someone was following me.

They had to.

Darkness fell and my heart began to beat faster. I felt some sort of tingling down my spine and I jumped and tried feeling for my back. I saw a light coming from the road and I tensed up and began walking faster. I knew I couldn't stop walking. I also knew I couldn't run.

Never run.

I knew the car was next to me. There was tapping on the glass window. I clenched my fist but faced forward. I felt a tingling sensation on my cheek but I made sure to keep my hands on my sides at all times. I then heard a voice coming from the car. It sounded familiar…maybe I knew the person. But It doesn't sound right, sort of like an off-putting tone as it tells me to come inside. I have nothing to worry about, it'll take me home. I didn't listen. I just ignored it. I knew I had a home to get to, I don't know where but I know so. And I know I will never get home if I listen to the car. The tapping coming from the car gets louder. My shoulders tense up even more and I ball up my fists, clenching them so tight it hurts. But then the headlights disappear and my body relaxes immediately.

I keep walking, even through the night. I am tired but I don't need any sleep. I shouldn't get any sleep anyway, I shouldn't stay in one place for too long.

Daytime comes slowly…it always seemed like daytime was short and nighttime extended for hours.

When it is daytime, I see my first meal of the day. I still don't know what day it is but I am grateful that another day has passed. I stay and eat the plateful of scrambled eggs and drink the orange liquid that I knew wasn't orange juice. I continue walking. I have to keep walking. I still don't know why I am here or how long I've been here. I don't even know how long I've been doing this. I still always hope this day will be the last time I do this.

But as I walk, something odd happens. I begin to slow down, my eyes feel heavy and I begin to see two roads at once.

I always knew I was tired…I never felt it though.

I found myself slowly getting to the ground, at first, I just sat there. I tried to keep my eyes open the best I could but I was starting to have a terrible headache that felt like it could only be cured with a nap. I began to lay down, slowly forgetting where I was and all the rules I repeated in my head were vanishing. I shut my eyes and there was absolutely no memory of me sleeping.

I woke up, completely confused about where I was and why it was dark all of a sudden. But then I felt this feeling arise over me. Sheer panic overcame my body as I quickly got up. The odd tingling sensation came back and I felt like my head was about to explode. I saw a car coming and I looked at it, wondering what in the world it was doing here. But maybe it could get me out of this place. Maybe someone in the car could calm me down enough to stop me from being totally insane. The car pulled up to me and there was tapping on the glass. That gave me the signal that the person wanted to help, I wasn't sure why the tapping was necessary but I was glad some form of life was here. I was in the middle of telling the person that I woke up here and I had no idea how I got here when I realized they didn't roll open the window. I peeked inside the car and knocked. This high-pitched noise sounded through my head and rang through my ears.

Don't look at the car. Ignore the car.

I stumbled backward, my panic increasing so much I could hardly move. The only thing I could do was scream and run forward.

Don't run. Never run.

I kept running and screaming, my hands waving around in the air. I think I have completely gone insane.

The car sped up and that only made me scream louder and run faster. It was already dark but my vision was becoming dark as well. Like I was about to shut down. The car picked up its speed. I knew I was screaming, I couldn't hear it or feel it. I knew I was running, but it felt as though I was standing still. I didn't hear the car coming, but I knew it was coming. It was going to get me. It was following me. It was…

------------

I knew another thing. I knew that I was never going home.

Whatever it was.

February 28, 2024 17:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.