0 comments

Romance Teens & Young Adult Contemporary

“You ready yet?” I yelled at my incredibly slow boyfriend.

He stepped out of his bedroom in nothing but his towel, his limp, wet hair dripping on his blue carpet. “Sweetheart, perfection takes time.” He sighed dramatically as I chuckled, biting my lip to cover the blush sneaking onto my cheeks. It’s not like I haven’t seen him naked before, but I still can’t help but blush every time, even after a year. 

To say he was gifted in the abs department would be a major understatement. At least it’s just a blush now. I remember when I had a crush on him and used to practically drool. One reason I stayed on the track team - they practice at the same time as the football team.

“But I’m bored,” I whined. “And aren’t we late?”

“Late? I’m the one with the plan. You don’t even know where we’re going?”

“And who’s fault is that?” I stated as he started retreating into his room once again, grabbing a small towel from the couch.

I sighed as I looked at my phone, scrolling aimlessly through the short list of social media feeds. I knew this was going to happen. Be ready by six, he said. Don’t be late, he said. I’m still wondering if he knows he’s the one that’s always late. It’s been an hour since I got to his place and I’ve been waiting since. Do you know how uncomfortable it is sitting here in a short and significantly tight dress?

Limited movement! That’s what I get for listening to my mom about fashion advice. Well, she wasn’t totally wrong. Asher was in awe when he opened the door and saw me. Of course, I was obviously mad that he was still in his pyjamas.

“Okay, let’s go.” He grabbed his coat and keys, and rushed to the door. A minute's notice would’ve been nice. It’s gonna take me at least five minutes to stand up in this dress. “Come on. We’re gonna be late.” He motioned me to leave.

I scoffed and followed him out the door. “Now will you tell me where we’re going?” He shook his head and kept walking. I rolled my eyes. “I’m gonna find out soon anyway.”

“Just trying to keep the mystery alive.” He smirked as we headed into the elevator. I didn’t push for answers. It was a silent elevator ride and a much more awkward walk to his car.

We got in. He started the car and immediately turned the radio on to a low volume. “Will you tell me now?”

“Nope.”

I waited for a few seconds before asking again, “How about now?”

“Kira!” He whined.

“Now?” I teased on.

“Have you never heard of ‘don’t distract the driver’?” He glanced between me and the road. It was quiet for a moment as I looked around to try and figure out where he was headed. The dim music was the only thing keeping this from being silent, and I hated silence.

“Now?” I smiled as I looked at him, trying hard not to laugh. He didn’t respond or react, knowing full well how irritating I could be. I giggled. “How about now?”

He kept driving as my brain rattled in curiosity, trying to piece together where we were going. We soon reached an unfamiliar street. “No!” He yelled, pulling over next to a clinic. I looked at him as he stared at the pharmacy, frustrated.

“Your idea of a date was to take me to a pharmacy?”

“You don’t remember this place, do you?” He didn’t shift his gaze and clutched his fists in anger. I swear he could’ve ripped the steering wheel right off if he wanted to. I simply shook my head. Have we been here before? “Three years ago. The school sort of had an all-in-one sports party at a restaurant here, for the football, basketball, and track teams because we all won.”

Oh yeah. What was the name of the place again? “Pizza My Heart,” I whispered to no one in particular.

“Yup. That was the first name we met. Well, the first time we spoke.” I can’t believe he remembered that. Sure, it was only three years ago, but that’s still a long time ago. Thinking about that night brought a smile to my face - one I couldn’t get rid of.

Asher sighed and drove off. “We can still get something else to eat. I saw a deli a block away. We can pick up sandwiches and probably walk to the mall nearby.”

“That’s your idea of a date?” He shook his head and sighed sarcastically. “Disappointed is not the word. I thought I taught you better.” Rolling my eyes, I giggled.

He drove off, circling the block for parking. After he parked, we got out. “You sure you up to walk? We have a bit more to walk after this.”

“There’s an after this?” I whined. This dress isn’t doing me any favours. “Why on Earth would you tell me to dress nice?”

“I’m not complaining, but this isn’t what I pictured you wearing.” He giggled, looking me up and down. I scoffed. “Look on the bright side, you’ll be thrilled when I get it off you.” He smirked as I shyly turned away. 

He opened the back door and grabbed a backpack. What was his plan here? This just gets more and more confusing. He noticed my confused stare but just responded with a smile.

Reluctantly, we started our walk to the deli. We picked up our sandwiches and proceeded to walk to who knows where. “Will you tell me now?” I tried to make conversation, breaking the silence.

“Not this again.”

“I’d at least like to know -” I started, but trailed off as I recognized the park we were approaching. How did I not know these places were practically within walking distance of each other? It was the park we had our first date at. They had a big screen set up and were playing a movie. It was kind of fun giving random commentary on the movie while watching, so we made it our thing. It was a weekly event and for the first three months, we hadn’t missed a single movie. After that, we did get sick of it.

So, he’s working through our biggest hits. I giggled to myself. How adorable! At least I know what he’s doing now.

We entered the park and he stopped in his tracks. “What?!” He yelled, startling me. “No way!” It was completely dark. There were a few joggers that passed by, and some people with their dogs, but that was it. This place really has changed.

I looked at Asher who just stood there disappointed. I felt bad for him. “I’m guessing we were here for the movie?” I mumbled. He nodded quietly and hung his head low.

“I’m sorry. I got the mat and everything. I just -” He sighed. “I should’ve checked it out first.”

There was absolute silence for a while. One year anniversary and nothing going right. Of course. I don’t blame him. I’m just bad luck. I mentally sighed. There’s no way I’m letting this go to waste. I grabbed his hand and began walking forward. “Come on!” I only hope I remember my way around.

“Where are we going?”

“My, how the tables have turned?” I giggled, grinning at him. “Doesn’t feel good, does it?” I teased, still pulling him along. I walked through the trees in the direction of the clearing. It was the most beautiful spot in the park. It stood off a cliff and had a view of the starry night sky. What more could you ask for?

Pushing through a few bushes and hedges, that potentially scratched my dress, we were there. The bright side: I may never have to wear this dress again.

“There you go - romance,” I yelled like I had something to prove.

“Way to ruin it.” He laughed as I let go of his hand.

He put the bag down and got the mat, laying it on the ground. I struggled but eventually managed to sit down. He sat next to me as we both ate our sandwiches. He took out two juice pouches and tossed one over to me. “Classy.” I nodded sarcastically.

“Of course, you don’t remember.” He shook his head. It’s orange juice. What could I possibly be forgetting now? “Our third date. We got juice pouches. You got so frustrated trying to pierce the straw through, you ended up squeezing it so hard, it splashed all over you.” We both laughed. “Not the first time you were a sticky mess.”

“Speaking of which, maybe you should open it for me this time.”

“Good choice. Don’t want you spilling it all over that uncomfortably gorgeous dress now, do we?”

“Yes, daddy.” I pouted. Asher almost immediately burst out laughing. It took me a few seconds to realize what I said there. I punched him in the arm, but that didn’t stop him from laughing. “You know that’s not what I meant.”

He soon settled down. I got my phone out and played some light music to drown out the silence. We continued to sip our juice pouches. He sighed.

Looking at me, he said apologetically, “Sorry about ruining our date. It was supposed to be the night of all nights, you know? I wanted it to be special.”

I smiled. “You don’t have to be sorry. You had an awesome date planned. Sure it didn’t go according to plan, but it worked out, right?” I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. “It’s the thought that counts.”

“That’s all I get for planning possibly the best date ever? A kiss on the cheek?”

“We’re dealing with fragile cargo here,” I stated almost seriously, raising the orange juice pouch. He laughed. He carefully took it from my hand and kept it behind him, doing the same with his.

“Now come here.”

April 14, 2023 22:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.