0 comments

Creative Nonfiction High School

Natalie well, didn't exactly have the best life you could possibly imagine. " Haha! Natalie the Nerd!" taunted Ada, one of the bullies. Her popular friends were right behind her laughing at Natalie. All of Natalie's books and papers scattered over the floor as Ada pushed her down.


" My books!" Natalie exclaimed, pushing up her glasses and quickly picking them up. Ada and her wannabe friends laughed again.


" Aw. Afraid you're gonna get 99% on your next quiz?" said Lilia, Ada's best friend. They all laughed loudly again.


Natalie picked up her books with tears pricking in her eyes but she blinked them back. As she started to get up, she heard a voice.


" Hey Ada. And Natalie," said the voice. Natalie looked from behind the girls to see Joshua, the most popular guy in school. He had a cute and kind smile on his face, with a loose football jacket and jeans. He had short, curly, hazel hair which matched his mesmorizing eyes.


All the girls sighed dreamily.


" Heyyy JoShUa (lol)," said Ada twirling her hair.


" Hey," Joshua replied back. He came closer and the girls stepped away revealing Natalie.


" Are you ok Natalie?" he asked concerned. He bent his hand down so Natalie took it and stood up. She blushed and dusted her skirt off.


" Yeah Nerdy Natalie! Are you ok?" said Ada clearing not caring if Natalie was ok. Joshua looked at her curiously. Without waiting for a reply, Ada turned back to Joshua and started talking and pulling him away.


" Soo Joshua have you decided who to take to prom?" she asked curiously as her voice faded away.


The bell rang.


Natalie rushed off to Biology and hoped to not get a pop quiz. She didn't have enough time to study yesterday or today, given the fact that she was crying and too tired to do any work.


She sat down in her seat, her heart being fast. Ada and her friends came in, which made her heart beat two times faster.


" Everybody!" yelled Ms. Hikklebee. She thumped her hands on the desk to make a drumroll. " POP QUIZ!"


Everyone groaned and mutter under their breath.


Come on! A pop quiz?! At this time?! GOSH MY LUCK!, thought Natalie. She ended up only getting an 80% on the quiz which considered to be a fail in her eyes.


Lunch came not so long later so Natalie sat in her usual table, far at the very corner. She ate her lunch quietly while reading Harry Potter. She was sucked into the book so much that she didn't even notice that Ada and her friends were their again, smirking at her. Ada held an open chocolate pudding in her hand.


" uh h-hi?" said Natalie nervously, looking up from her book.


Without saying a word, Ada dumped the chocolate pudding right on top of her head. She shook every last bit off the cup and threw it in Natalie's face. Natalie was mad, shocked, and cold from the pudding. Everyone in the cafeteria turned to look at her. At once, students began to whisper and laugh and point at her.


Natalie rushed out as fast as she could to the bathroom, before anyone could see her burst of tears. She locked herself into the bathroom stall and started crying.


Why? Why am I the one who's being picked on? Why me?, she thought sadly. She went out of the stall and cleaned herself off. Of course a big chunk of the pudding had to ruin her clean white shirt which would now be stained forever. She walked out and then suddenly ran into Joshua who was casually leaning on the wall.


" Oh hey Natalie. Are you okay? It wasn't cool of Ada to do that," he said to her sympathecially.


" I'm fine," says Natalie waving him away.


" It's ok to read books too, you know. I LOVE the Harry Potter books," Joshua said to her.


" Really?"


" Yeah! They're great!"


They keep talking and talking and they find out that they have lots in common. The bell rings though so they have to go.


The rest of the day for Natalie was boring and not that great as usual. It was shortly time to head home so she started walking.


As she did, she checked the ground for some four leaf clovers. In this town, they were famous for good luck. As she walked, she wasn't having much luck. That is, until she glimpsed something that looked like a four leaf clover. She backpeadeled at the last minute and bent down to see if she was right.


She was.


In the dense, green grass, was a perfect four leaf clover sticking out and possibily smiling back at her. She gasped and picked it out of the grass.


" OMG! NO WAY! A four leaf clover?! I'M GOING TO HAVE SO MUCH LUCK!!!"


...


" 75% on your final grade," says Mr. Hark as he passes the finals back to her. Natalie was sitting at her desk tired, angry, confused, and wary.


WOW. So much for GoOd LuCk. Why not just give me a clover that has YOU'RE GONNA FAIL YOUR GRADES. YOU'RE GONNA BE BULLIED. YOU'RE GONNA BE MISERABLE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE SO TOUGH LUCK! printed all over it?!, she thought angrily with sarcasm.


Yup. Tough luck my friend.


Hey, I mean at least she didn't really fail right?


She slumped down in her chair and put her hands to her head. It was throbbing and hurting her a lot. She opened her eyes and saw Joshua which almost made her head not hurt anymore. Oh. And prom was coming up which meant she had no one to go with. Oh well. Another year, another prom to stay home.


" Everyone!" announces Joshua as everyone left the classroom. " After lunch I will be doing my promposal! So good luck girls, the special one just might be you!"


All the girls started to shriek at once. They were all whispering and making remarks about how it would probably be them.


" It's so obvious! It's DEFINETELY gonna be me. I mean, I'm the most beautiful girl in the school so if he doesn't pick me then there is something wrong with him but who am I even kidding? It's OBVIOUSLY gonna be me!," says Ada for everyone to hear.


Jeez, thought Natalie but even she was hoping to be his date.


After lunch, all the girls were waiting around him and pestering him to tell them. When both Natalie and Ada arrived, Joshua started to talk.


" There she is! She just arrived!" he announces. He was holding a bit sheet of paper but yet there was nothing on it. He walks past the whole herd of girls who groan and whisper madly.


Natalie shuffles her feet while Ada walks up to him beaming.


" Oh hey Ada. Would you min-" started Joshua.


" OF COURSE I WOULD GO TO PROM WITH YOU!" she gushed before he could even finish his sentence. " IT'S A YES! YES! YES!" she exclaimed loudly, jumping up and down.


" Oh uh," said Joshua looking confused. " I was going to ask if you would move so that I could get to Natalie."


All the girls started whispering and laughing at her. Ada's eyes were wide with shock, fury, and humiliation. Natalie's head perked up.


" Me?" she questioned.


" Natalie, will you do the honor and go to prom with me?" asked Joshua flipping over his sheet of paper. On that paper were the words " Will you go to prom with me?" printed in big letters.


" Yes! Of course!" she answered enthusiastically but still not quite beliveing it.


They hugged.


Wow. Thank you four leaf clover. For making my life as good as it can be, Natalie thought. And they all lived happily ever after :)... except for Ada of course.

June 17, 2021 00:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.