10 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama Romance

Her hair whipped through the wind. The harsh breeze carried the heavy heat of her surroundings off into the waves. The beautiful scenery kept her from her reality, but only momentarily.

Her eyes drifted away into the sunset, how mesmerizing. She never imagined things to be like this, so harsh, but so breathtaking. It was hard to comprehend, where everything had gone wrong.

They were so happy, so in love. Yet now everything has come crumbling down. The walls of their once sturdy castle of freedom had been shot down by the cannonball of greed. Of revenge. Of blind selfishness. Her favorite moments flashed by her in an instant as the cold wind finally sent chills down her spine. 

The way he had smelled waking up in the morning. The way he had cared for her while she was injured. The way he always made her smile. But these were the more bland moments in her memories. What really stuck out was when they first met. In a place so different from where she was now. In a place so dark and hopeless. He had grabbed her hand, and wicked her through that darkness, helping her navigate her way through her confusion and distaste for all of humankind. 

He had led her through the streets of many countries, ones she could have only dreamed of. He was cultured and wise, allowing her to stay by his side and learn from his words, his actions, his love. She learned about how different cities were not cities at all, but living, breathing creatures. They had their own personalities and ways of life. They set their own pace and damned anyone who could not keep up or slow down. He taught her how to understand the patterns of these creatures. How to become one with the eyes, the ears, and the hands of these locations. 

She had witnessed the cherry blossoms bloom and litter the streets, had seen heavy and almost inhabitable snowy landscapes become the playgrounds for even the smallest of children, how the sands of the hottest places became beautiful clay landscapes, and now, how the ocean broke against the bay while the sun cast its glimmering shadows over the  ever-knowing sea. 

The blue of the water was so inviting. She wanted to be one with the waves. It was languid and hypnotizing, the way everything swayed along with the tide. Although her situation was dire, she felt excitement bubble in her chest. Her wishes to be one with the sea were going to come true. It almost brought a smile to her face. 

But right as she was about to let out a small laugh at her surroundings, she felt the cold creep in once again. He was there, staring at her, the love that was once there was now washed away with the crash of water on sand. It made her breath hitch. It brought her back to reality. 

He loomed in place, casting the perfect shadow over her, scaring off the sun’s once glorious warmth on her skin. He seemed to contemplate for a moment, dropping his cold facade and showing his regret. But regret didn’t matter. However much you grieve and repent will never bring those you have lost back to life. His knuckles showed white against the silver of the metal in his hand. 

It was funny, how such a deadly instrument was able to take part in the captivating landscape that surrounded them. It glinted at the sun’s approach to its heavy craftsmanship. You would think not even the tool itself didn’t want to ruin the moment. It didn’t want to fill the graceful blue of the sea with the harsh crimson that would soon be spilling from her into the one place that she had always yearned for. 

No matter how this ended, she would never be able to hate him. She had already forgave him even before anything had even happened. She wouldn’t allow her last moments to be shrouded in hate and resentment. Instead she let the light sink into her skin once more, shunning the cold of his solemn disposition. She turned away from him to once again allow her eyes to graze against the wonders of the horizon. The brightness made her eyes hurt and little floaters appeared in her vision as she turned back to him. 

The view of his heavy coat fighting off against the bright landscape made her almost sad. She had always imagined them together at the beach, both fitting perfectly into the scenery, becoming one with the incredible array of colors that covered the once white clouds. But now he looked as though someone had cut him out of a magazine and glued him poorly in the atmosphere. It felt wrong, and that was the only thing that really bothered her at that moment. She knew she belonged here as her black hair created the perfect canvas for the light to paint itself. But, it was him who stuck out. What a shame. What a shame he couldn’t embrace the moment. 

He turned his head as well, taking in the sights they had once talked of visiting together. Together in love, not in death. Tears welled in his eyes, and fell silently to the sand, quickly being washed away by the encroaching tide. He was taken aback by the scene playing out in front of him, but not in the same way as she. He was in a pit of guilt, knowing that what followed this event would haunt him for the rest of his life. He would never be able to forget it, the smile on her face as she sat there on the sand. She was in such a miserable state, hair matted after days in solitary confinement, hands tied behind her back, ankles bound together, and somehow, still a smile on her face. 

“I can't stall any longer,” He said, finally gripping the knife with full conviction. He needed this.

“Is it time? So soon?” She mused as she took a deep breath in savoring the taste and smell of the salty air. 

“You know what comes next. But I’ll give you one final chance, any last words, my love?” The nickname rang in her ears, it no longer had the same effect it once had.

“I’ve never felt this strongly before.” 

“Never felt what?”

“I feel alive. Truly and undeniably alive,” She said looking him in the eyes one last time. 

And with that the knife pierced her chest. He was numb, unwilling to believe what he had just done. Removing the knife from her chest he picked her dying body up in his arms, throwing it finally into the sea. She was where she always wanted to be, she was finally one with the current, with the waves, with every creature that lived in the depths of deep blue that covered the earth.

March 28, 2023 01:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

JL Graves
02:20 Apr 06, 2023

Wow! I was not expecting the ending. This is a compelling story. It held my interest to the end.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Livi Griepentrog
03:40 Mar 28, 2023

THE FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE😻👏🏻 (also i made a whole account just for this💗💗)

Reply

Mikky Kuenster
04:12 Mar 28, 2023

Omg tysm!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathryn Horner
03:37 Mar 28, 2023

So amazing! I don’t read too often and this actually made me want to read more!! ❤️❤️

Reply

Mikky Kuenster
04:12 Mar 28, 2023

That makes me so happy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sophia Caracci
02:39 Mar 28, 2023

Unbelievably good🥰🥰🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sophia Caracci
02:39 Mar 28, 2023

Never stop writing, you will be great.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sophia Caracci
02:38 Mar 28, 2023

SO GOOD ARE YOU KIDDING

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sophia Caracci
02:37 Mar 28, 2023

The way you were able to write a piece that invoked numerable emotions with so few words; aswell as create a well thought out plot filled with twists, turns and romance in a short story is truly amazing.

Reply

Mikky Kuenster
02:56 Mar 28, 2023

You are actually going to make me cry that is so sweet. Thank you for reading <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.