0 comments

Fiction

She added the bags from Chanel and Dior to the mound in her closet and locked the doors. She placed the newest account statements in her desk drawer, growing the existing pile, and locked that as well. She dusted off her hands and sashayed to the kitchen. When pouring herself a cup of tea, she heard the front door open. Her husband and his mistress stumbled into the foyer. She looked on from down the hallway, with a cup and saucer in hand. The stranger had tunnel vision for Frederick, giggled, and bit her lip, while Sophia sipped on her drink. Once the arrivals turned down the hall, they saw her. He froze, and she yelped.

“Sophia,” he started. “I thought you were out with Candice.”

“She canceled.” She sipped again, as the young woman fiddled with her thumbs and looked around. “You’re the woman who’s sleeping with my husband, I presume?” Sophia squared off against the new face with long blonde hair, much lighter and looser than her own. The guest snapped to attention, with big eyes.

She cleared her throat and replied, “Yes.”

“Alright then,” Sophia said. “I’ll leave you two to it.” She placed her mug on the counter and walked past the couple. “Excuse me,” she added while reaching for her coat and purse. She had her hand on the door handle, when the other woman spoke.

“You’re okay with this?”

Sophia peered over her shoulder and turned around. She delayed her steps, as if time adored her. “Darling, I’ve been okay with you for months now.”

“So is this an open relationship?” She looked at the husband and wife, switching her eyes from one to the other.

“No,” he answered.

“Why not?” The cub questioned. “It seems like it is.”

“Because I don’t date or have sex with anyone else,” Sophia said. “Frederick never asked for permission. We didn’t marry for love.” She paused. “There are countless reasons for why things aren’t as they should be.”

“Well then,” she started with a quivering lip. “Maybe I don’t want to be a part of this.”

“Ava, don’t do this,” Frederick used more of his words.

“Ah,” Sophia added. “Ava. I had you pegged as a Carissa.”

“Frederick, I can’t do this anymore,” she continued.

“But --”

“But he’ll lose his only source of love,” Sophia interrupted him, returning her coat and purse and making her way to the chaise lounge.

“Then, get a divorce!” The young woman yelled.

Sophia and Frederick looked at each other from the corners of their eyes. “Frederick, I think you should explain our arrangement to her. She’s your project after all.”

As Sophia flicked off her stilettos and leaned back, Frederick grabbed Ava’s hands. “Ava, we can’t get divorced.”

“Why not?” She cried. “You don’t love each other. You love me.”

“A divorce would sour both of our families’ reputations.”

“Who cares about reputation?” She ripped her hands from his.

“We do,” Sophia answered. “Our families come from old money, with old people controlling it. If you want to continue your lavish affair, then stop crying.”

“Sophia,” Frederick started.

“What did I do now, dear husband?”

“There’s no need to speak so harshly.”

“We’re all grown-ups, Freddy. You’re not bedding a girl, are you?” The lovers returned to squeezing each other’s hands, while Sophia looked out the window. She then inhaled sharply and sat up. “Is this conversation done? Is everything settled? Can I leave now?”

“For more shopping?” He asked.

She slipped her high heels back on. “Perhaps.” She got up and walked past them again. She scoffed at the sense of deja vu, grabbing her coat and purse. “I’ll see where the wind takes me.”

“You don’t need another dress.”

“You don’t need to order your men to follow me.” She stared him down, breaking a record for the longest bit of eye contact they held so far this year. He bowed his head, so she turned away. She twirled around her coat and let it fall in place and embrace her. She swung her purse and asked, “Do you need anything else from me?”

Ava shrugged. Frederick shifted his jaw but never opened his mouth.

“Alright,” Sophia started. “I’ll be off.” She skipped once, before stopping herself. “Frederick, one last thing before you have sex with a woman who isn’t your wife.” She turned around and faced him. “We need to do something about our lack of children. People are asking.”

He nodded.

“Wonderful. We shall discuss later.” She clapped her hands. “Have fun, you two! And, Ava, please be gone by the time I return.” She glided through the doorway and pranced down the steps, leaving the others with a mood to rekindle.

***

She told her driver to drop her off at the park. Like every day, she walked around for a bit, gave a generous tip to that day’s lucky street performer, and sat next to the fountain. Once she checked her watch for the third time, she knew it was time to go. She wandered to the nearest coffee stop and graced them with another hefty gift. While strolling to her final destination, she caught glimpses of couples. Holding hands. Smiling. She smirked, flashing back to three years ago. Within four or five waves of envy camouflaged as appreciation, she arrived at her destination. The glass double doors framed her vice, as if to welcome her. She missed the days of relishing cashmere and silk. A past passion distilled to a meal void of flavor. All colors faded to gray. It was nothing more than muscle memory. Of everything he gave her, she only cherished the memories.

She knew he knew she kept her closet locked. They knew they could afford it. They were wealthy yet empty. Today, she walked around the store three more times than needed. She scanned the scarves on repeat, looking to her driver for any sign to leave. After a nod from her chauffeur, she bought the closest item to her and went home. Today, she brought home a Hermes leather bag, and he wasn’t there to see it.

December 16, 2021 01:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.