0 comments

General

Hamilton switched off the headlights and tightened his scarf. He watched as snowflakes covered the view of his windscreen. He lowered the side window slightly to check the wind outside. The sudden burst of wind threw him back like a boxer taking an uppercut. He felt the wind chill his bones. Time passed by as he nodded off to sleep. The knocking on the side window brought him out of his sleep. He saw a dim light on the outside. He quietly reached out and lowered the passenger side window. He saw a figure beckoning him to open the door. Hesitating a few seconds he decided to open the door. The figure crept into the car slamming the door while rubbing the gloved hands together.

I am Malcolm he said pushing his hand towards Hamilton.

Hamilton returned the greeting with a smiling face.

I have been stuck here for almost three hours and what about you he asked?

Maybe two hours Hamilton said.

The heavy wind is piling up the snow and creating havoc on the road. The traffic is piled up miles ahead and behind. I tried knocking on several windows, but the occupants were either asleep or too lazy to open the doors.

Hamilton turned around and pulled out a flask from his duffel bag. He poured a cup of steaming coffee for Malcolm.

Hamilton this is a godsend he said smelling the aroma before taking a sip.

They drank in silence allowing the coffee to penetrate their bodies gradually.

I am on the way to our office Christmas party said, Malcolm. It’s been two years since I last attended.

I was on my way to visit a colleague who was hospitalized after an accident. I thought it best to cheer him up during this festive season. He was unfortunate to lose both his legs in the mishap.

Oh! I am sorry to hear about it. I work as an area sales manager and was looking forward to this event since the death of my wife.

How did you lose your wife?

She worked as a Pediatric Oncologist and finally succumbed to cancer herself. It came as a terrible shock to both her and the family. She died in the prime of her life.

Hamilton remained silent as he felt the sadness outreach his friend.

One has to face life through the good and the bad. We cannot avoid by running away.

I tried spending my life alone avoiding society. This had a negative effect and I felt myself drifting towards an island. After two long years, I realized that I had a life ahead of me. I needed to move around and meet people and enhance my career. This party was the first I decided to attend since that sad day. I can still recall the events that led to her death.

It was a Friday evening and we were seated waiting for her turn to get a breast ultrasound. Two weeks ago she had a fever and was complaining of nausea and lack of appetite. The family doctor had insisted on a pregnancy test to clear the first doubts. My wife had laughed at the suggestion and was happy at the negative result. While doing a physical the doctor found a slight swelling of her armpit and requested the test.

Although my wife insisted on seeing the results, yet, the nurse refused. It was two days later that we got a call from the doctor requesting my wife to pay her a visit. I picked her after work and took her to the doctor. The doctor who was her batchmate at medical school did not hide the fact that the results were not satisfactory. She wanted her to undergo a biopsy. My wife was shocked at the request. I drove her home in silence. As she entered the house she burst into tears. I tried consoling her but to no avail. I wanted to call the girls but she got me to promise that I would not mention anything to them. I held her in my embrace as minutes passed by and she fell asleep in my arms. It was around midnight that she awoke and went into the kitchen.

Hamilton stirred changing his position peering through the snowflakes. There was nothing visible to the naked eye.

Am I boring you Malcolm asked?

Not at all. I want to hear your story and share your sorrow.

My wife continued going to work although tiredness crept in very fast. Her boss at the hospital had decided to perform the biopsy herself and a date was fixed. The procedure was carried out a few days later. It was while I was at a director’s meeting that I got this call. I excused myself and rushed out of the room. The hospital where my wife worked called to inform me that she had collapsed and was taken to the emergency room.

My body was covered in sweat as I stood shaking on the corridor. Fortunately, the office boy having noticed me rushed into the meeting room. I can just recall being surrounded by a mass body of people. The company CEO was knelt by my side as he tried to console me. Minutes later I sat in his car as he drove me to the hospital. I rushed towards the reception with him by my side. A nurse accompanied us to the room where my wife lay sound asleep. There were various tubes and machines surrounding her. My CEO helped me to a chair nearby. Within minutes two doctors entered the room and went directly towards the monitors. I tried getting up but my CEO held me down.

I came to know that the biopsy result had turned out to be a mass. I just could not believe my ears when I heard the doctor spell this out. My CEO was good enough to wait until my wife opened her eyes before he left the hospital. My wife smiled putting up a brave face for me to see. I knew the pain and agony going inside her.

Later in the evening, I left the hospital and returned home. I called my two daughters and informed them about their mother's condition. They were shocked for words. I was blamed for not telling them earlier. The following day I was at the airport waiting for the arrival of their flight. They were both married and all were living and working in Qatar.

As I watched the screen show the arrival of their flight my heart skipped a beat. I dreaded the reception in the hospital as my wife did not know that they were coming. I sat nervously watching passengers rushing in and out of the airport. It was then that I noticed them wheeling a cart through the crowd. I sat waiting unable to move. They saw me and came rushing towards me as I barely got a chance to stand up. They took turns hugging me as tears streamed down their cheeks. We eventually made our way towards the carpark. They both held my hands tightly. During the drive to the hospital, I inquired about my sons-in-law. We arrived at the hospital and went directly to the room. I stood briefly outside before opening the door pushing them inside. I quickly closed the door as I saw them rush towards their mother crying out loudly. I sat on the chair and waited for all to pass. It took some minutes before my wife raised her head looking at my direction. I had to hold back the tears as I got up and went towards the bed. I could see the happiness all written on my wife’s face after seeing the girls. There was a visit from the senior surgeon who insisted that she be operated on the following day. I saw my wife go into a panic at the mention of surgery. We left the hospital in the evening as we all needed rest. My wife was put on light sedation and dropped off to sleep before we left.

We arrived at the hospital early the next morning. The hospital staff were preparing my wife for surgery. When we spoke to her she was in a daze not being able to focus properly. A little later she was wheeled into the theatre. My daughters and I accompanied her until the surgical suite.

We sat in the waiting room near the theatre lost in each one’s thoughts. A little later I was surprised to find my CEO entering the room accompanied by his secretary. I quickly introduced them both to my daughters. It was a great strength for me to have my CEO beside me. His secretary had already chummed up with my daughters and was lost in their own world. I saw the change on their faces from sadness to a much brighter look.

Seconds moved on to minutes and that dragged on endlessly until I lost count of the hours. It was nearing midday and I can recall my CEO bringing some coffee and snacks to eat. I must have snoozed a while as I found the CEO missing and only his secretary sitting with us. I heard the inner door open and was expecting someone to come out. I waited in vain but no one appeared. Minutes later a nurse came and summoned us to the surgeon’s office. As we entered his office he got up and gestured me to follow him while he signalled for the others to be seated. I walked behind him as we went past the surgical suite and entered a long corridor.

As he opened the door I got a nauseous smell of chemicals. He invited me into an office. As he settled behind his desk I lowered myself in front of him. He then related to me the incidents in the theatre which brought about the death of my beloved wife. She had died of stage three surgical shock. He then took me behind his office where her body lay on the theatre stretcher. I could not believe what I saw. Just a few days and she was gone forever.

Hamilton wiped a tear from his eyes as he laid his hand with assurance on Malcolm’s shoulders.

I am sure you deserved this Christmas party, Malcolm.

Hamilton lowered the side window. The wind had cleared and the first daylight was streaking through the clouds. Malcolm joined him as he stepped out of the car. It was still cold but the weather was clearing. In the distance, they could see rays of lights moving. The cars ahead had started moving at a slow pace.

They both exchanged their numbers as Malcolm quietly made his way to his car. 

January 06, 2020 15:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.