4 comments

Fiction Friendship Happy

"I'm telling you, the air is different!"  My best friend Carol insisted, stopping on the sidewalk and bouncing slightly as she spoke.  She took a deep breath, closing her eyes and smiling, "Can't you feel it?"

I shook my head.  "Everyone knows it's not spring until the robins come back or, at the very least, the flowers start to pop up.  I mean, it hasn't even rained yet."

"I can smell it!  I'm telling you!  Tonight, you watch, it'll rain and by morning you'll see flowers and maybe even your silly cardinals."

"Robins," I corrected flatly.

"Fine, robins.  They're both birds," she shrugged.

I could tell nothing was going to change her mind, other than proof.

"Alright.  How about a bet?  No rain tonight and no robins by morning, and I win.  Spring hasn't started yet," I narrowed my eyes challengingly.

I could see Carol's steadfastness waiver for just a split second.  As another breeze blew through, ruffling her brown hair in its wake, I saw the smile return to her hazel eyes.  "You're on.  If I win, it's spring," she agreed, putting her hands on her hips.

"Deal and loser buys lunch," I grinned.  Carol stretched out her right hand in acceptance. We sealed our challenge with a firm handshake.

We went our separate ways, after that.  The barren landscape stretched before me, as I walked home.  There was almost no grass,  no flowers, the trees were still bare, and there were definitely no robins.  

I shook my head.  How could Carol think winter was over?  Because the last dumping of snow had finally melted off?  That just meant we were having a small break.  This was Indiana, afterall.

Stepping inside, I grudgingly took off my coat.  Hanging it on the wall, I quickly switched it out for my long, tan sweater that hung by the door.  It wasn't nearly as warm, since it had yet to absorb my body heat, but it would do the job soon enough.  I decided to make myself some hot cocoa.  After a long day of work, it was the best way to relax.  Ready to unwind, I went into my living room and sat down in my chair.  

As I sipped it, though, it just didn't feel right. I looked around.  Surely, Carol was just getting to me.  The sun was warmly pouring in through the window, not far behind my chair.  That was it, the warmth was throwing off my winter vibes. The irritation that had begun to bubble up inside of me at Carol for ruining my cocoa, slowed ebbed away, replaced with a smile and me shaking my head. 

I hunkered down further into my chair to avoid the sun and took another sip.  I was taking this bet too seriously.  I set my mug on my side table and stretched out my legs, laying back and closing my eyes, still inwardly laughing at myself.  Outwardly, smiling....

...I jumped as a loud noise brought me back to reality.  Looking around, I realized it was dark in my house.  I felt for the knob on my old lamp and turned it, until it clicked twice. 

I tapped my phone, 8:30 p.m.  I must have dozed off.  At least I woke up before work, I thought, panic slowly leaving my chest.

Boom!  I jumped in my chair at a second loud noise.  That was when I heard it, the drumming of rain, dimmed by my roof. Seriously? 

I got to my feet and went to the window, pulling the curtain back enough to see outside.  Sure enough, lightning flashed and the street lamps revealed drops of rain in their warm light, water reflecting in the glow they left on the wet street.  Ding!

I went over and grabbed my phone off of the coffee table.  "Halfway there.  I'm thinking lunch at that coffee place.  You know, the one with the cappuccinos that I can't normally justify buying?" A text read, ending with a smiling emoji.  

I rolled my eyes. "Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. You haven't won yet." I replied, adding an emoji with its tongue sticking out and another one shaking its finger.  I relaxed my scrunched up face as I stuck my phone in my back pocket, running my other hand over the tensed up muscles. 

I closed my screen and turned back to my living room.  Shoot!  I had forgotten to close off my fireplace after the last time I had used it!  Quickly, I ran over and closed it off.  I shook my head, as I got towels to clean up the water that had soaked mostly into my carpet. 

"This doesn't prove anything," I said to my orange tabby, Milo.  "She hasn't won yet."  Milo replied with a shrill chirp and a loving rub against my leg.  "I know, it's almost bedtime.  C'mon."

I laid in bed, Milo curled up behind my legs, as I listened to the rain.  She hadn't won yet. If there were no robins in the morning, I won.

It didn't seem fair to me, as I walked to meet up with Carol the next morning. She had two or more things to prove, I only had to prove one.  My eyes caught her waving to me from the corner, a bright smile on her face, pulling me back into focus.

"Well, I've walked three blocks and haven't seen a single robin," I said.  "But, I don't really think the bet was fair for you-"

Carol cut me off, pointing behind me. Turning, I saw a robin.  My winning mood deflated.  "One robin is gonna do me in?" I asked,  giving her a look that matched my disbelieving tone.

"Nope, look," Carol pointed.  I could hear the grin in her voice, as I followed her outstretched index finger.  In the yard below the tree, singing their little hearts out, were three more robins.  Small flowers were beginning to poke up around them, breaking up the dirt enough for them to get the worms encased below.

"Well," I sighed, smiling, "guess I'm buying lunch."

March 24, 2021 02:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Claire Lindsey
17:13 Apr 02, 2021

What a fun story! I enjoyed the light-heartedness of the friendly bet and the sense of warmth between your mc and Carol.

Reply

Anna Romano
19:46 Apr 02, 2021

Thank you so much!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrea Couture
18:24 Mar 30, 2021

I liked the pace of the story. It reminded me of a Frog & Toad type story.

Reply

Anna Romano
19:47 Apr 02, 2021

Thanks! I love getting feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.