1 comment

Black Coming of Age Fiction

   He had been at it for years but the thing is that he gives over respect to most things of this life. Maybe, you can best describe him as a ritualistic in nature. He will set the long and short stool in a format that they will form one longer one, then placed the rubber higher chair in front of him, placed a makeshift carton that serves as table surface and proceeds to wipe all clean with a clean rag before embarking on yet another placement ritual. The back balcony of their family house with the attendant noise that surrounds it from tinker workers and an old tire market that seems to form a kind of circle around the building has been his evening study venue for months now after the dining hall table has taken care of the living day light reading and writing ritual. He turned on his phone to read. His writing materials by his left, his local made hand fan by his right as he set ready to dive into yet another uncoordinated reading that have paid a hell of dividend over the years. The time was nearly 4:45 pm.

He turned to the site of an author that has done a hell of a lot to move his writing craft that had been in a limbo leaping forward like an athlete propelled by unseen force to cross the finishing line. Imagine that he had been reading for decades and yet many that haven't put in the work he did are more enlightened by far than him due to guidance or luck or something like that of being at the right place with the right fellows as guardians. He guessed. The migrated birds that had made their home on the tree whose leaves have broomed from the rainy season that is in its second month were chirping and cooing away like mad. If he did not stumble into "steps in delivering quality speeches' ' like the author called it, how would he have known that spoken and written English or any other language for that matter can follow almost the same format. He was raised believing that spoken and written language has no relation. 

 The problem is when you are in a poor nation, there is tendency that you will be poor too and trial and error means of learning isn't something that comes in a cheap way. Self education in a poor nation isn't all that easy thing to come by. Data costs a lot, the quality books and teachers and everything and everyone assumes any title he prefers. The reality is that everyone want to put anyhow food on the table. Your well being is secondary to them. But Mr Ephraim is determine in his pursuit of this knowledge he sets out to do. At times, erratic electricity is the worse culprit than all others. It just don't exist.

The author Sims Wythe had listed the way he delivers quality speeches, the physical and psychological methods he uses to do the work: body language, eyes contact, amount of finger pointing and demonstrations, limited walking to and fro and all those others ingredients that makes a speech quality one. But like everything good, you need to put in the time and money but the gain is there. It just can't be quantified in monetary terms.  Its enormous and many goes for it. He swats at the mosquitos that found their way onto his left shoulder and left a smear of blood on his bare skin for he was in his shorts only. That brought a mighty sigh from him. These shooing like reflect acts is turning out to be a ritual of its own each evening.

Mr Ephraim knew that each writing has three arcs that made it good writing just like speeches does. But that had been all he had known and vomiting those kinds of things hardly tells you that there are others things that make those three stages a quality one.

" I doubt if they even know all those, '' he muttered to himself as he concentrated on writing as he spoke.  He smirked as he found out that his work is still mediocre but, for sure it has improved. That he can see it well from the way each paragraphs complement each other. 

No doubting the fact, he have spent a ton in this his self education but when you can get lost in what you do from morning without realizing when it's evening, you are in your destiny train, all you needs is to clear certain dirts there and make the place to work for you and not the other way around. Today, writing a book still sounds like going to Mars to him but that doesn't worry him any longer. Even that one has those that teaches how to go about it in a way eight years will understand and that had been what he had been scouring the internet to find. For sure, it is somewhere out there but who will point it out for him, who will point him to the direction he needs to face to find what he is searching for. Writers hardly reply to such emails. They ignored it and spent their time talking to groups that understood what they were saying. Good for them. Mr Ephraim  holds nothing against no one. Teachers and lecturers are too different people, yet both impacts knowledge. One teaches and the other lectures. Mr Ephraim needs a teacher, not a lecturer. He will find free ones somewhere.

He recalled the answers from the query he sent google and all the answers it vomited, more than one million. Where will he start to decant all the answers. Few he had gone through were not teaching, they were lecturing. He went opening sites at random and getting the same lecturing and paying for this and that sites. There is no money to pay in dollars. The economy is in pieces, in high pieces, money almost equal toilet papers in worth. It amuses him when he sees the leaders in the TV wearing those costly local attires that make them look like over bloated toads and eyeglasses that give them a kind of important look and signing those papers. Since his primary level he had been seeing them and seeing those look of importance and the same pushing of papers that amounted to nothing forty years later. 

     "I have said that when something has a primary root that is healthy, foundation laid well, it's hard to be uprooted or messed up" he sighed loudly as he realized he had wasted almost thirty minutes reminiscing about politics and past leaders he knew. 

What he have noticed that almost turned him into pompous writer is that things needs good teachers.They are not that hard to go about once you are pointed towards the right route by anyone with the right brain, time and patient to bear your annoying questions at times to spend even only a day to educate you on the rudiments. Its free roll afterwards once the love for acting is there in you.

He finalized editing the work he did three days ago and smiled satisfactorily on what he considered above average work. Some birds have not only made the yonder tree their homes, some seem to be eavesdropping on him for once they see him there, many tend to make the roof of their building their own for that duration. 

May 18, 2024 07:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mary Bendickson
20:53 May 18, 2024

Keep writing. The path is long.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.