The Realm Of The Dead | Hell

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: End your story with a truth coming to light.... view prompt

1 comment

Creative Nonfiction Speculative Christian

Revelation 21:8….the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murders, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars---they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur.

I would venture to say that people have pondered the afterlife and hoped that they would not have to endure crossing the gates of hell. Some have even schemed together a version of the Devil and the looks of the land of the dead. The bible gives a vague description, placing people in a blazing furnace where they are weeping in sorrow or grief and others gnashing their teeth because of anger, stress, and pain. (Matthew 13:42 They will be thrown into a blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth). Truth be told, at the time of this story, I only knew the TV’s illustration of hell, and, more or less, it was close to the same. However, I was about to discover the truth about this undiscovered land, where the Devil resides, and a bunch more which was unknown to the average mind. 

On to the story: 

A few days passed since my dream of Judgment Time and Heaven. During those days, the representation of Hell had been playing ping pong in my mind; this prompted certain questions: “What is Hell like?” “Do they truly suffer the punishment of being thrown into the eternal fire?” “Is there actually a lake of burning sulfur?” “Or perhaps Hell has been distorted throughout time, which has caused a far fetch fairy tale of what the truth once was?” 

It was nighttime, and I just noticed the clock read that it was nearly the hour for me to lay my head on the bed; therefore, I got up off of the couch and walked to my designated sleeping quarters. (I was not sleeping at my home residence during this night). Furthermore, I arrived at my sleeping quarters. I placed my body under the bed covers, closed my eyes, and hoped my future would see a restful sleep. Soon after, my mind-thoughts faded to nothing; I fell asleep.

***

Quickly, my body was placed in this unspeakable version of earth. I noticed there was a faint light coming from somewhere above that enabled this neighborhood to be viewed. Worry set in as my eyes veered from side to side. Sorrow blasted my brain due to the bitter darkness I was witnessing with my very own eyes: It looked as though daylight had not touched this monstrosity of a land for an eternity of time: Fences and motor vehicles were covered in dirt, mud, and filth that was literally indescribable to the human eye. Water was nowhere to be found and---quite possibly---the odd sprinkle of rain was virtually nonexistent. Houses and buildings were fractured, ruptured, and wrecked well beyond repair. Windows and doors were imprinted with rips, splits, and cracks; no chance to restore. The nearby trees and bushes that were planted in the properties resembled the looks of dumping grounds or even garbage pit’s topped with manure. Disfiguration seemed as though it was a common element in this utter Hell of a land. (This realm resembled the looks of the Micheal J. Fox movie: Back To The Future 2 | If you were fortunate enough to see the flick, you probably remember Biff’s world; the futuristic world destroyed because of unhappiness; that version of earth is very similar to the one I was standing in).

I continued looking around at this hell-hole neighborhood: I noticed that, far ahead in the distance, the surroundings were just as awful as the near. However, one of the wrecked houses displayed a commotion inside: Dim lights shadowed through the cracked windows, and there was most definitely movement inside. I could not figure out what was causing the gloomy light’s fluctuations; however, this prompted curiosity, and I figured there is only one way to find out; investigate. (The wrecked house was not too far, likely I would be able to drift my body there in a couple of minutes). 

I began tip-toeing my way toward the damaged house, desperately hoping not to disturb who or whatever caused this aftermath war-zone. I swerved my head to the left and then to the right---hawking at the surroundings---hoping not to be seen by an observer or anyone that could cause personal wreckage or perhaps a fatal blow to my body: I saw no movement, nothing at all. 

I neared the door and halted just a couple of feet away. Inner fear jolted my soul. Even still, I reached my hand out and gripped the door handle. I rotated it; there was a subtle click sound. The door unlatched. My nerves became painted with panic; my knees nearly buckled. Nonetheless, I drifted the door open and---forcing myself to be nonchalant---I peeked through the opening: The inside of the wrecked house saw a crowd of people arguing and bickering at each other; their anger was fierce. To my amazement, some of the people were friends from my teenage years. My inner thoughts brought me to believe that a mystical energy had engulfed their once loving souls with a Devil-like persona many years ago; negativity was rampant in the room. 

I drifted my eyes towards the room's scenery and noticed that small layers of dirt covered the pictures, paintings, and other objects within the area. The windows showcased destroyed drapings; some were hanging sideways, which left tiny peepholes to the outside world, perhaps used to observe the outer surroundings of the wrecked house. The room presented a shadowy darkness, having dust floating and drifting within the bleakness of the room’s air. 

My focus turned back to the angry crowd: I saw that 20 some odd people were crammed in this junk drawer of a house; one Old Man sat in a chair in the dead-center of the area. The Old Man carried a deceitful smile as his eyes slowly shifted from side to side, almost as though he was overseeing this hell-hole of a house. His eyes displayed scheme and deception. It seemed as though he was basking in his glory as he surveyed the 20 raging souls bickering back and forth. He was very much at peace with his surroundings. Due to the fact that the Old Man was the only one in the building who carried inner happiness, I concluded that it would be best for me to approach him and try to avoid the 20 raging people while doing so. (REMINDER: Some of the raging people were friends from my high school years). 

I nudged the door a tad more; it inched its way open. I took a gentle step and another gentle step and began tiptoeing my way toward the Old Man. I hoped not to disturb the angry crowd. As I approached the Old Man, I noticed that his facial features resembled the looks of a Russian. My head thoughts voiced an opinion: “The old man very much looks like one of the characters in the famous Val Kilmer Movie: The Saint. I swear he is the spitting image of the person who played the role of the Russian President.” 

I paused my thoughts and continued tip-toeing my way toward the Old Man. His deceiving smile somehow gleamed in the shadowy darkness of the room; he was definitely at peace in this infestation of arguing, anger, worry, and sorrow. The crowd continued squabbling; not the Old Man though: It seemed as though the more the people combated, the more his deceiving smile grew.  

I halted my step just feet away from the Old Man; [likely a Russian Old Man]. He gazed into my eyes, having a dysfunctional smile: His smile resembled the looks of two movie characters that I recall. One: The Grinch in The Grinch That Stole Christmas movie. Two: The Joker in the Batman movies. (Both Characters displayed devious grins). 

As I stood just feet away, the two of us did not speak any words. We simply beamed towards each other, me, having a look of ponder, and him displaying a look of poise. The Old Man crept his eyes away from me and back towards the raging people. The crowd still exhibited fierce anger and torment towards each other; their negativity never ceased. 

Time passed as the mystic misery of the people continued. The Old Man and I still had not spoken. I remained gazing at him, and, as for the Old Man, his eyes, for the most part, remained on the arguing crowd; every so often, he peeked towards my direction. 

My time spent in this hell-hole land did not see one moment of happiness: Emotions such as fear, worry, stress, and sorrow would be ideal illustration words as to what I endured during the first few hours.  

Morning time finally arrived. (I am not positive how I concluded it was morning. This exact moment of the dream is unclear to me. Perhaps I have some brain fog because I am describing a dream that took place a few years ago). Anyhow, my heart and soul displayed a hint of happiness because soon my eyes would see daylight and the morning sun would be sitting in the sky. 

Quickly, I approached the house door. (The crowd continued to quarrel; they still did not notice my presents in the room). I stopped in front of the door, reached out my hand, grasped the door handle, then turned it. There was a click sound; the door released. I flung the door open; it swung and crashed into the siding of the wrecked house. At once, I saw that darkness had not yet disappeared. The wind quickly gusted, sending me a bit off balance. I swung my arm to the side, trying to regain my stability. I steadied myself and began assessing the nearby: The fences remained covered in dirt and mud; the houses were still fractured and wrecked, and the windows and doors remained imprinted with splits and cracks. Swiftly, I calculated that this realm was not just darkness, but eternal darkness; (the land of the Abyss), and my dash to see daybreak was broken. 

My soul filled with panic as I stood pondering if I would have to spend the rest of my days in this hell-hole world. My inner voice began crying: “No, no; I can’t stay here. I don’t want to stay here. Please---somebody---help me. I hate this place; please let me out.” My mind became relentless; thoughts of never seeing the light of day ripped a hole in my soul. At once, I wailed aloud, “SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!”

***

Unexpectedly, my body bomb-shelled back to my sleeping quarters; I awoke. I blasted my body up to a seated position in the bed. My palms were planted at my sides, bracing my physique to a seated position. My legs extended downward, across the bed; my toes dangled over the perimeter of the mattress. 

Panic gripped my mind as I jolted my head back and forth, to and from: My bedsheets were---once again---(just like the Heaven dream a few nights prior)---completely drenched---almost as though a downpour of water had just landed on the bed-covers. I took a couple of deep breaths in and out, hoping to calm my mind.

Seconds later, my brain settled. I began reviewing what had happened: “This was no dream,” I thought to myself,  “This was the Creator revealing to me the outcome of a person who lived a disobedient life. A person who misbehaved and committed far too many sins. A person who did not repent for his or her wrongdoings and now he or she must pay the penalty in THE REALM OF THE DEAD.

Proverbs 15:24 The path of life leads upward for the prudent to keep them from going down to the realm of the dead.  

HELL POEM

Hell is the land of torment; the place where the Old Serpent resides. 

Hell carries a mystic misery; people suffer because they were not willing to abide.

Hell is full of darkness and despair; it never sees the light of day.

Hell carries worry and sorrow; the negativity brings their souls to decay.

Hell is a place where sinners dwell; peace and love will never shed.

Hell is the home of the Devil; it is the realm of the dead.

May 06, 2021 07:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Jeromy Wensley
07:01 May 06, 2021

Please comment on this story. I would very much appreciate feedback for writing improvements or even improvements on this short story?

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.