CHILDHOOD SWEETHEARTS

Submitted into Contest #137 in response to: Write a story about somebody in love with someone from their past.... view prompt

1 comment

Coming of Age Friendship Fiction

     They met in grade school. It was obvious that June and Daniel had a strong attraction. Each of them knew they were too young to do anything about it, but they stayed together as much as they could. Sitting next to each other in class seemed to work better than putting them in different classrooms. Together, their grades were excellent. Apart, their grades were normal and not as good. When next to each other, they knew the other was all right. They could see their friend.

         The adults could guess, but no one knew for sure. The other children joked about them getting married later on in life. These two wouldn't mind moving in together now.

         Time passed, they wrote to each other through several moves and re-locations. Dan went away to college and met a girl he was madly in love with. They were married after graduation. They both worked until the children started coming. The wife died during the birth of their third child.

         June congratulated Dan on his marriage and sent birthday cards to his children every year. She did marry a man who was good to her and took care of his wife and children. At this time, June and Dan were states apart, but each felt something missing in their lives.

         June had two children by her first husband. When he died in a car accident, she received a touching sympathy card, including an invitation to visit, from Daniel. She wrote back that it was too soon after the death of her husband for her to be seen with another man. She would let him know.

         Dan became lonely and tired of waiting. He married again but it did not work out very well. He kept thinking about June. His wife was very irritated all the time and confronted him one day.

         "It seems your mind is not on my happiness or the welfare of our family. I've been taking care of your children. Doesn't that, alone, give me some of your consideration? Not to mention keeping the home neat and clean. Can we be intimate sometimes?"

         "Ok, yes, someone has been on my mind. A good friend from long ago. We usually send letters back and forth. I have not heard from her in a long time. But is intimacy your only concern?"

         "No. You keep forgetting to give me the check book to get groceries and clothes for the children. They need shoes and school is starting soon. This is a major concern."

         "I do agree the shoe issue and school starting are serious. But I am thinking of moving and want the children to be comfortable in their new school. As for groceries, I can get some after work tomorrow."

         "If you move, leave me here! I do not want to continue this neglect and thoughtlessness on your part any longer." She turned and went into the bedroom. Daniel heard her crying.

         Dan had a Post Office Box he used for correspondence with June. He had found a reasonable flat for rent in the old neighborhood, but no money had changed hands yet. A bit later, a note from June greeted him when he checked the PO box. She gave him her phone number and the information that she was considering marriage again. Would he call her before she "tied the knot"? Dan was relieved to see that June was back where they both grew up.

         Dan penned a note to June stating he was about to divorce his current wife and bring his children back to the old neighborhood with him. He mailed it before he left the post office.

         June had cleaned up the old homestead she inherited from her parents and had dinner on before she took a break. She looked over the mail that had piled up on the coffee table. Her cell phone was on the table too. She wanted it near "In case he called", 'Just like a teenager in love.' she thought.

         Bills, a tax note from the city, a card from her sister and – a note from Dan! As she was opening his note, her phone rang. It was Daniel.

         "Hello, June?"

         "Yes, Daniel? I am glad you called."

         "June, I have something to tell you. Did you get my note?"

         "I just opened it. You are bringing your children here?"

         Yes. I hope to settle us in town before school starts."

         "Is your divorce settled?"

         "Yes – Irreconcilable Differences. We just couldn't get along. I have custody of my children."

         "School’s a month away. You are cutting it close. Do you have a job?"

         "Yes, my company is transferring me there. They are opening a branch and want me to oversee everything and manage the plant after all is ready."

         "What about your ex-wife? Does she have the house and mortgage?"

         "No mortgage. We sold the house and split the profit, after taxes and real-estate fees. She moved back in with her folks. The kids and I have a flat we will move into when we arrive. I have your number now. I can call you when we get in. June, I think I love you more now than when we were in grade school!"

         "Dan, this is exciting! You and I getting together after all this time! Goodbye."

         "June, I feel the same. Goodbye."

         The trip cross country was a thrill for his children. They traveled through several states. Dan stopped in each so the youngsters could hear the different accents and way of speech of each state. They made motel, restaurant and gas stops during these times. When they crossed June's state line, Dan called.

         "June we are almost there. Would you like to say high to my kids?"

         "Dan! No warning! I am happily surprised. Yes, it would be good to hear their voices. Mine are outside playing."

         "This is John, named after my father"

         "Hello, is this the mystery lady?"

         "Hi, yes, I am June, from 20 years ago."

         "Wow, ok, this is my sister Gertrude. She is named after mom's grandmother."

         A shy "Hi. People call me Millie because I don't like the nicknames that go with Gertrude. That is what they called my great grandmother."

         "Hello Millie! Thank you for telling me your preference. I am June and I believe we will get along wonderfully. I have a girl too. You will meet her when my two come in to eat."

         Dan came back on the phone: "Daniel, about when will you all be here? Can you three come for dinner?"

         "An excellent Idea, June. Why don't my kids and I get something we can all enjoy. We can be settled in our flat and then, purchase a take-out meal for all of us. Betty will have her child meal. She was sleeping when I introduced you to my other two."

         "Betty is a marvelous name. That means two adults and five children of various ages. Are you prepared for that arrangement?"

         "If it means I can spend the rest of my life with you, I give you a resounding YES!"

March 13, 2022 20:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

01:42 Mar 20, 2022

Do you think these two will be successful in their blended marriage?

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.