1 comment

Fiction Friendship

Present Day

The wind blew across the deck of the Blackbird. The young man at the wheel took a deep, long breath of the fresh air. The wind blew through the dark greenish-blue water and brushed the tops of the swelling white waves. It caught in the red and white sails of the ship and tossled the young man’s dark hair. 

12 Years Ago

“Come here son.” Captain Blackbird beckoned to the shy young boy with dark curly hair. The boy stepped forward, closer to the wheel and the Captain.

“Do you see that ocean? The choppy water, the schools of fish. The water is alive, it is full of life. And this ship is also alive.” The young boy nodded. Bird beckoned to him, and the boy came and sat down next to the Captain. 

“One day you could steer this ship. That day isn’t today, but someday, if you work hard, if you treat the ocean with respect and love, if you treat it like it's alive, you may steer this ship.” From that day on, the boy loved the ocean and loved the ship. And from that day on, he wanted more than anything to move that wheel, and feel the power and joy of guiding something alive

Present Day

“How does it feel, Rani?” a girl with bright red braided hair called to the young man. Raniero smiled, as his calloused hands turned the wooden wheel slightly to the left.

“It feels great, Ash. I always knew I was destined to turn this wheel, and it was only a matter of time before your father let me.”

“Ha! Raniero, you’re my best friend on this whole wide planet, and I knew Father would let you steer the Blackbird, I think he’ll even let you become captain full-time, when he gets too old. Raniero smiled and nodded. A bell sung a clear, high note, the signal for dinner. Ash ran off, her cream-colored shirt blowing in the wind. Rani sighed. He preferred not to eat dinner at the same time as the rest of the crew, he didn’t like being around that many people. Ash, on the other hand, couldn’t get enough of the crew. She loved people, even more so than her father, Captain Blackbird, did. 

6 Years Ago

“Do you see the whales, Ash?” Rani said as he lifted her onto his shoulders. Ash nodded, her red hair blowing in the wind. The smell of salty sea water filled both their noses. 

“Rani, I made something for you. It’s a friendship bracelet! Esmeray got me some string the last time we were on land, and Carim showed me how to make one. His sisters taught him when he was younger. Rani put Ash back on the ground. Ash reached into her pocket and pulled out a colorful bracelet. It was deep blue, golden yellow, and rich brown. There was one string of bright red that ran throughout it. 

“It’s beautiful. Thank you so much, Ash.” Ash smiled and nodded. Rani lifted her back up onto his shoulders, and they listened to the song of the whales.

Present Day

Rani twisted the worn bracelet on his wrist, thinking about the whales. 

“Son, I brought you some dinner.” 

Rani jumped, “Captain Bird, you scared me. Thanks for the dinner.” Captain Bird nodded. Bird was a big man, his muscled chest showing through his tight shirt. Many years of working on the Blackbird, his father’s ship, and his father’s father’s ship before that, had made him strong. His face and arms showed many scars, the price of living your life on open water.

“Rani, I’m getting old. I’ve asked Ash if she’d like to be captain when I retire, but her passion is elsewhere. She loves making maps, climbing up the mast, she says she doesn’t want to be held down by the wheel. I don’t have any other children, you know that. My wife, Ash’s mother, Arwen, died when Ash was just a baby. But you are like a son to me. And you, you are destined to be captain of this ship. Even more so than me, and my father, and my grandfather. When my grandfather built this ship with his own two hands, he thought he was building it for himself. But, he was actually building it for this little boy who I found orphaned, living in an alley when Ash was just a baby and Arwen had died. This little boy, who I decided to take on to my ship and raise. Now he’s a young man of eighteen, and I love him just like my own flesh and blood. His name is Rani.” Captain Bird smiled. He put his tanned and worn hand on Rani’s shoulder. “What do you think, son?” 

“Captain, all I remember as a kid is you, and Ash, and the crew. I don’t remember my mother or my father. This ship is my home, and this crew is my family. From the second I stepped onto the Blackbird, I knew I was home. I would be honored to be captain someday.” 

Captain Bird pulled Rani into a hug, and whispered into his ear, “Son, that day is today.” Rani gasped and pulled away from Bird, a look of surprise and joy in his eyes. “But before I announce it, go talk to Ash about it, she’s in her room.” Captain Bird patted Rani on his back and took up the wheel.

2 Years Ago

Rani and Ash were sitting on the edge of the ship, with their legs dangling over the water. 

“Rani, what do you want to be when you grow up?” Ash asked Rani.

“Captain. And I want to be a father also,” he responded.

“You would make an excellent captain and an amazing father. I think I want to make maps, and stay on this ship, see the world.” Ash said.

Then they both looked out at the setting sun, thinking about dreams and the sea.

Present Day

Rani ran down, below the deck, and into Ash’s room. Ash got up, startled.

“Ash, your father is going to announce the new captain tonight, and it's me.” Ash smiled and pulled Rani into a hug. “You’re not more surprised? I thought you’d be screaming.” Rani said, confused. 

“Rani, I knew that this was going to happen from the moment I saw you.” Rani laughed and shook his head. 

“Ash, you were nine months old when I came aboard this ship. You couldn’t talk, and I highly doubt you could foresee the future.” Ash groaned and hit Rani on the head with her pillow. 

“Rani, I could feel it in my bones, stop doubting. I’m serious. Even though you don’t love being around other people, you are a great leader. You know the sea like the back of your hand. I can think of no one better suited to be captain of the Blackbird than you.” Ash reached over and hugged Rani. Then they got up and went to the top deck, to wait for the crew and Captain Blackbird to come. 

The crew and the Captain walked up the stairs and onto the deck of the ship. The stars in the sky were shining bright, and the moon stood out against the midnight black sky. Captain cleared his throat.

“I have gathered everyone here tonight for a special announcement. I’m getting old. The sea is, and will always be my home, but this ship is ready for a new captain. I asked Ash if she wanted to be the next captain, but she refused. Even though I asked her first, there was a clear choice in my mind for the next captain. Rani.” The crew clapped and crowded around Rani. “Rani knows this ship, and respects and loves the sea. He is everything a captain needs to be and so much more. His heart is pure, and his mind is bright.” Blackbird reached into his pocket and pulled out a worn brass pocket watch. “This is yours now, son. My grandfather gave it to my father when he became captain, and my father gave it to me, and now I give it to you. May the wind always guide you, may the ocean always hold you, and may this ship always feel like home, Captain Rani.” Bird placed the watch into Rani’s hand. Then the whole crew stood and watched the stars, and listened to the whales sing. 

8 Years Later

Rani stood with his wife Estée on the deck of the Blackbird. Their daughter, Wren, chased her little brother Astor around them. Ash and her husband, Leo stood with them. The bell rang for dinner, and everyone except Rani and Wren went down to eat. Rani picked Wren up and took her over to the wheel.

“Would you like to be captain someday Wren?” Wren nodded. “If you want to be captain, you have to work hard. You’re heart? It has to love and respect the ocean. All this, the sea, the ship, the sky, the stars, it's all alive. If you know that, if you love the sea, then one day, you will steer this ship, and you will become captain, just like I did.” He took out his brass pocket watch and put it in Wren’s hand. “One day, this will be yours.” Then he picked her up and lifted her onto his shoulders, and they watched the stars, and listened to the whales sing. And at that moment, they felt like the whales were singing just for them.

July 24, 2021 20:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Maddie Heritage
19:25 Aug 01, 2021

This story is so creative and definitely original! Great job!🙂🙂🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.