2 comments

Creative Nonfiction American Contemporary

Breaking the Silence 

By Bob Aldrich

The room buzzed with laughter and clinking glasses as partiers mingled. Emily Blake hovered near the doorway, her fingers clutching a frayed edge of her scarf. She always felt so out of place, suffocated by the throbbing pulse of energy around her. She sipped her punch and scanned the room cautiously, hoping to avoid becoming dragged into an awkward conversation.

"Hey, Emily!" A familiar voice pulled her from her thoughts. Rachel, her coworker from the library, appeared beside her, a wide smile shined on her face.

"Hi, Rachel." Emily's voice barely rose above a whisper, drowned by the surrounding chatter.

"Can you believe Axel Bender might show up?" Rachel's eyes sparkled with excitement. Emily's heart skipped a beat. Axel Bender, the enigmatic lead of The Drastic UFO, had been a consuming thought—a silent crush she harbored alone for a long time.

"Really? Here?" Emily asked, trying to mask the sudden intrusion of hope in her mind.

"Yeah, it's a rumor, but fingers crossed!" Rachel moved away, her enthusiasm dragging her into another throng of partygoers. Emily remained by the doorway, internally wresting with her anxiety.

An hour folded into another when an electric current cut through the air. The doorway parted for Axel Bender, a leather-clad sentinel against common humanity. His piercing eyes scanned the room, his movements as assured as the music he played. Emily’s breath caught in her lungs as Axel's gaze flickered her way, igniting her cheeks with sudden heat.

"Axel!" His enthusiastic fans swarmed him, instantaneously breaching the space Emily found comfort in. She felt driven from her safety zone deeper into the crowd.

Heart pounding, she began to edge farther away from the center of the party but stumbled into a table, sending a cascade of drinks onto the floor. Her face flamed hot with embarrassment as the room's attention momentarily pivoted to focus her way.

Axel’s stride crossed the room, bypassing the throng of admirers, directly approaching the mess she created. "Need a hand?" His voice was confident, tempered steel, devoid of mockery.

Emily struggled to form words; her tongue tangled by nerves. "I—um—thanks."

Together, they cleaned the table. She could feel his presence intensely, a gravitational pull drawing her concentration to his every movement.

"You, okay?" he asked with a casual smile.

"Mhm." She nodded numbly, internally scolding herself for the nervous reply.

“Ever been to one of our concerts?” Axel’s eyes held a glimmer of curiosity, though his tone was light.

“I—uh—yes. A couple.” Her heart clanged like cymbals. She chided herself for her awkwardness. Couldn't she be more articulate?

“Cool.” He didn’t push, simply acknowledging her words with a nod. “I’m Axel." He extended a hand.

“Emily,” she responded, shaking his hand cautiously, her own trembling.

“Well, Emily, hopefully, you come out to more. We play a couple of new songs next week.” His attention seemed genuine, world-encompassing.

“I’d like that," she managed to force out, digging up more courage.

Rachel’s voice intruded, sharp and eager, cutting straight through the hum of background conversations. "Axel, we wanna hear one of your new riffs! Got your guitar?"

A heartbeat passed. "Sorry, didn't bring it." Axel's gaze remained locked on Emily, ignoring Rachel much to her visible frustration.

The gamut of partier’s chatter faltered, setting the stage for Jason's entrance. With a voice dripping in sarcasm and jealousy, he broke the silence. “Is nobody going to say it? We have a celebrity mingling among us mere mortals.”

The atmosphere thickened palpably with Jason's caustic words. Emily's nerves were set on edge, a foreboding discomfort brewing in the pit of her stomach as she watched Axel's demeanor shift. His previously warm eyes grew cold, steeling into an almost menacing resolve.

“I’m just a guy here to have a good time," Axel replied, his tone now carrying a barely concealed edge. The room collectively held its breath, anxiously awaiting the next move in this unspoken game of power and bitterness.

Scanning the room, Emily sensed unsaid tensions bubbling beneath the surface. She wished she could dissolve into the wallpaper, then she could see the faintest twitch of a smile flicker across Axel's lips—a gesture meant solely for her. The knot in her stomach weakened just a little and it gave her courage she normally couldn’t summon.

Emily took a deep breath and forced her warmest smile. "You know, Axel,” she began, her tone teasing yet friendly, “if having a good time means competing in a sour face contest, I think you're winning!"

There was a moment of silence interrupted only by the rapid blinking of those caught off guard by her quip. Then a ripple of chuckles spread through the room. The participants, one by one, began to relax, the corners of their mouths lifting into smiles.

Rachel, no longer able to maintain her stern expression, let out a giggle. "Guess we're all here to lose then!"

Even Jason's previously rigid demeanor softened as he let out a hearty laugh. "Well, in that case, I surrender!"

The tension in the room dissolved into pure amusement. Axel’s expression softened, and he matched Emily's smile, tipping an imaginary hat in her direction. "Alright, Emily,” he admitted, “you got me there."

With laughter resonating through the room, conversations shifted toward more relaxing, positive topics. The mood was now light-hearted and convivial—the initial conflict forgotten as everyone seemed to enjoy each other’s company once more.

“Want to step outside for some air?” Axel asked, cutting through Emily’s introspection effortlessly.

She nodded, finding herself unable to reject the opportunity. Wordlessly, they left behind the cloying crowdedness and emerged into the crisp night, the sound of laughter becoming a muffled hum.

As they strolled in silence, Emily felt the quiet steps of Axel's presence beside her, her usual solitary steps shadowed by shared serenity. He glanced down their intended path, then at her.

"So, what do you do for fun?" he asked, breaking the silence.

“I—I read. A lot,” she answered, finding peaceful ground. “And write sometimes.”

A genuine grin spread across his face. “Now I know why I noticed you—creative people gravitate towards each other, huh?”

She looked at him, truly, and for once, the murkiness of her hesitation began to clear. Dancing on the edge of words was no longer just fearful teetering but steppingstones toward unimaginable possibilities.

July 18, 2024 00:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Mary Aldrich
03:12 Jul 26, 2024

I like how this story bring the reader into the middle of the party and moves along developing the friendship between Axel and Emily among the crowd of people there trying to get Axel’s attention. The story moves and builds and leaves me wanting more…

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bob Aldrich
23:47 Jul 24, 2024

Come on, y’all! Show me a little love.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.