0 comments

American Romance Contemporary

“Happy New Year to all my guests. We will celebrate in an hour, at midnight, as usual. You will all be notified a half hour before so we can all rejoice together. Please enjoy our guests, our food and each other.”

Walking over to her husband, Katy said, “Dear, I am so glad we do not have rowdy guests.”

“Yes, me too dear. I am tired of unnecessary repairs. We have been careful of who we invite these days.”

“And the help appreciate the politeness our guests express to them. Oh, look who is coming in late!”

“My dear Katy, when have you known Rachel, or Randy, to be on time for anything?”

“MY goodness, Charles, are they coming in together? Do you think they have sparked something?”

“Look closer, dear. They are both looking for someone.”

“Oh, Charles, it would be so nice if our annual gatherings sparked a permanent relationship! You talk with Randy and I will engage Rachel. No mention of getting together. It should happen naturally.”

“Like ours did, remember?”

“Yes, love. You maneuvered me under the mistletoe and kissed me soundly! No red-blooded American woman could resist such a strong expression of passion.”

Walking up to Rachel, by the buffet, Katy began her friendly interrogation.

“Dear Rachel, it is so good of you to come. Are you ok? You seem quiet. Are you thirsty?”

“My most gracious hostess, I am being shy. Last year a man was here. I was hoping he would be here this year. I believe I want to know more about him. Thank you. The punch is very good, I like it.”

“Do you have a name? Some way to communicate with him?”

“Katy, no. That is why I came this year. If he is here, as I hope he is, we will exchange information. If he doesn’t show, I will celebrate with everyone, then go home with happy memories of a wonderful New Year’s celebration.”

“Dear, I can tell you we invited the same guests this year as last year. If he was here last year, he is probably here this year. Keep your eyes peeled so you don’t miss him!”

“Thank you, Katy. That is most welcome news. I will keep watch. This is my future we are playing with!”

“And I hope it is bright with love and good happenings, Rachel. You deserve happiness in your life”

Rachel decided to sit by the buffet to keep track of those guests who decided to partake of their host’s generosity. Several guests who were friends, or remembered her from last year, came over to say hello.

After this barrage of well wishes and conversation, Rachel was taking a break by relaxing and looking at her well-manicured hands in her lap. She felt a tap on her shoulder and looked up. To her surprise it was the gentleman whom she saw last year and fluttered her heart. This same sensation immediately overtook her, but she was not flustered. They both started to speak at the same time. He deferred to her as Rachel raised her hand to ask him to hold that thought.

“My goodness! You are here! This is my business card. It has business phone, personal phone, business address and personal address as well as my email. Please take it. Call.”

He looked at her card and fished his own out of his wallet.

“Rachel, a lovely name, may I present you with my own personal card. Let me say that I am very interested in learning more about you. I have been thinking about you, and so many possibilities, ever since I saw you here last year. Now, I have the opportunity to find out your truth, uncluttered by my own imagination.”

“I am happy to hear that from you. I feel the same.”

The announcement was loud and clear. “People, it is time to gather from wherever you are on the property. I promised to give you a half hour to get together. Now is that time. We will meet everyone in the great hall.”

“Charles, are you ready to take over your roll as Master of Ceremonies?”

“Katy, dear, our middle boy asked me if he could have that honor this year. Ralf and I have been practicing almost a year. He is confident enough now to tackle this task.”

“I am happy to hear that. He is finally growing up!”

“Mom, I feel that way too. Dad, I hope you are not thinking of passing this torch to me as the next generation? That honor should go to Philip. He is the oldest and very successful. Don’t overlook him.”

“Ralf, I understand this is a step in your journey to adulthood. I agree wholeheartedly. Public speaking is a big part in so many organizations. This will prove to you that you can be comfortable speaking to a large number of friends.”

“What do you think, Rachel? Shall we join them now?”

“Yes, I like that idea. We can learn a bit about each other on the way.”

The two had found a quiet place in the Great Hall to talk for a bit. At least, until a large number of people arrived.

“Randy, there is no business name on your card. Are you working? What is your income like? Or is this a sensitive subject?”

“Not at all! My income is good. I have a house not far from here. I am the manager of a business I inherited from dad. All the employees have stock in the enterprise and we all work hard to make a success of our company. Now, your turn. But I see on your card that you have your own business in accounting. I am familiar with the address you have for your personal living space.”

“Yes, an apartment complex. They want a month’s notice if I decide to move.”

"It is almost time for the festivities. Do you want to move closer to the stage?”

“No, I can see the balloon from here and the acoustics are good in this room. We will be able to hear everything.”

“Good, but I am not thinking about that.”

“Dare I ask what you are thinking about?”

“You may and have asked. I am thinking; I do not want to wait for the midnight hour. I want to kiss you now!”

Smiling, Rachel replied: “It is amazing how great minds think alike! Yes, I don’t want to wait either, but here is my take on this situation. If we do kiss, we may not stop. That would not be good for our reputations, let alone this gathering and celebration!”

“Then I will try to hold my passion in check. No promises, now. The only thing stopping me from ‘letting loose’ is the fact that we might go home together. Maybe not tonight, but in the near future. I am so looking forward to us being together, but I respect your sensibilities.”

“Thank you. Now!”

“10; 9; 8; 7; 6; 5; 4; 3; 2; ONE               HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Rachel and Randy kissed. Sparks and fireworks flew around them. A moment later he stepped back. “Did you feel what I felt?”

“Randy, I’m breathless. Yes! It was wonderful! Can we do that again?”

“Not now. Maybe later. Now we must say good bye to whoever is not ‘occupied’ ”

December 28, 2021 20:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.