GOODBYE MY LOVE

Submitted into Contest #168 in response to: Make a train station an important part of your story.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Historical Fiction

UNION TRAIN STATION 1942

Union train station is always packed especially now. I see men in uniform, there women by their side saying goodbye. Today it's my turn to say goodbye to my guy, my love Tommy.

I've been at Union train station all morning watching many couples say goodbye not knowing if they will ever see their love again. I saw tears, laughter and hugs, then I saw loneliness.

Tommy and I have been best friends since we were kids. I know it's weird for a girl to have a boy as a best friend, for me it wasn't. I was and still am happy to have Tommy as a friend but now Tommy has become more then just a friend.

Somewhere along the way I started to have feelings for Tommy. Lucky for me it wasn't one sided. Tommy felt the same way for me as I do for him. We told each other our feelings and we have been together ever since.

I'm at Union train station waiting for Tommy because he's been drafted into the Army. Last month on the 7th of December 1941, Pearl Harbor, our Naval base on the island of Oahu was attacked by Japan. The attack was unexpected and deliberate. Thousands of lives were lost.

Now Tommy has been drafted. I'm scared for him. I don't want to say goodbye but I know Tommy is happy to serve. I do have a surprise for Tommy, one that I hope will help him through the war.

There goes one more couple saying their goodbyes. I can't do this, the wait is getting to me. I begin to pace back and forth until I hear my name being called. "Rosalie."

I turn around and see Tommy down on one knee. I gasp in shock. "Rosalie, you have been my best friend since we were kids, now you have become the love of my life. I know things are hard right now and I'm leaving but I want nothing more than to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you give me the honor of being my wife?"

"Yes, Tommy. Oh My God! yes Tommy, I would love nothing more than to marry you. My turn to tell you my surprise. Tommy you are going to be a father." Tommy looks at me with loving eyes. He tells me "Really, I'm going to be a father. I'm going to fight really hard to come home to you and our baby."

I hug and kiss Tommy. I begin to cry so hard. I don't want this special moment to end. "My love, look at me." I look at Tommy with tears in my eyes. He tells me "I will come home. I need you to keep me strong with your letters." I nod unable to talk.

I walk with Tommy to the platform. He kisses me one more time. "I love you Tommy." He gets on the train, turns around and tells me "I love you, my Rose." I wave to Tommy as the train begins to move. Goodbye my love.

UNION TRAIN STATION PRESENT TIME

This is the train station I heard so much about. My grandma Joanna always use to tell me about the train station proposal of her parents, my great grandparents Tommy and Rosalie.

I love the story, a true love story that should be told over and over again. Union train station has lost some of its color, I want to bring it back and make the train station look like it did 80 years ago.

I want to surprise my grandma and have her see Union train station as it was 80 years to the day when my great grandparents were here. I get to work on my plans.

First, I do research on the history of Union train station. I go to the historical society. I enter the building and go to the archives. As I make my way to the archives, I see pictures on the wall. One of those pictures grabs my attention. I move in closer.

I know those people, they are my great grandparents, Tommy and Rosalie. Look at them, they look so happy. I look closely at the picture and realize they are at Union train station. The year is 1942. This must be the year they got engaged. My great grandmother looks so beautiful.

UNION TRAIN STATION 1943

One year ago at this very spot I said goodbye to my love Tommy. I got engaged at this very spot and told Tommy I was pregnant. I was happy that day. For the last year I've been coming to the train station to be closer to Tommy, since this was the last place we were together.

I had our baby girl, I named Joanna. She looks like Tommy. Her eyes, her smile is exactly like her father. I wish Tommy can see and hold her. Joanna is the light of my life. She keeps me strong during the long days and nights.

If it wasn't for my baby girl I would be lost. Joanna has given me love and strength during the times when I miss Tommy. She has made me laugh and cry. Now I want to give something special to my girl. I want to give her a piece of her father. This is the reason why I'm at Union train station.

"Baby girl, this is where your father proposed to me and where I told him about you. He would be so happy to see you and hold you. I wish he was here with us."

I've been writing letters to Tommy and sending pictures of me and Joanna. He's been sending me letters back but the letters are few. I have not received a letter from Tommy in quite a while. I'm starting to get scared. The letters I write right now are coming back to me. I don't understand why.

I still see women saying goodbye to their men and it breaks my heart. I know the feeling all too well. The not knowing is the hard part. I'm still learning how to live my life without Tommy. It hurts that he's not here but I know what he's doing is brave and courageous. Time to go home baby girl.

PRESENT TIME

These pictures are amazing. Union train station looks so beautiful. This is exactly what I want to to do. This is how I want the train station to look like once again. I finalize my plans, call some people on the city council and get the okay to remodel Union train station.

I gather my belongings and my crew and head to Union train station. This is going to be one hell of a surprise for my grandma. I know she is going to like it.

In my research of the history of the train station I found out it has been the site of many goodbyes. I read the stories and looked at the pictures. I found a picture of my grandparents, Joanna and Nicholas. The year is 1965.

I always knew my grandpa Nick served in the Army during the Vietnam War but I never knew they said their goodbyes at Union train station. I want to ask my grandma about this but I know that time of her life was not good.

So, me and my crew arrive at Union train station and get to work. I tell them about my plans. My crew seems confident they can get the job done.

UNION TRAIN STATION 1944

Two years have passed since I said goodbye to Tommy. Joanna is two years old. She's walking and talking. I'm proud of her every single day.

Today on the two-year anniversary of the day I said goodbye to Tommy, I brought Joanna to the very same spot I stood with Tommy. Joanna is more aware of her surroundings. I tell Joanna "This spot is very special to me and daddy." Joanna giggles.

I love that giggle of hers and I also love the way Joanna looks at her surroundings. She jumps and giggles at every noise. I take Joanna to see the trains. She is mesmerized by the trains and by the many people who board the trains.

PRESENT TIME

Another long day and night at Union train station and finally me and my crew are finished. The train station looks so beautiful. I can't wait to show my grandma.

Today is the Grand Opening of the new and improved Union train station. The whole town is going to be there. My grandmother included and she's bringing my grandpa.

Everything is all set. The town is here. The mayor begins to talk. I listen to him but my wind wanders over to my grandparents. I see them holding hands and looking at each other lovingly. One day I'm going to have what they have.

The mayor finished speaking, he cuts the ribbon and opens the doors. I grab my grandma's hand, the three of us enter Union train station.

I see the look on my grandma's face. It's one of shock, amazement and love. Union train station looks exactly like it did 80 years ago. The walls are a deep brown color with intricate patterns. The floors are a light brown color also with intricate patterns.

The roof of the building was in bad shape so me and the crew decided to put a sky roof to give the train station a modern edge. I tell my grandma to look up. She looks up and sees the sky roof.

"I love it Rosalie." Yes, I'm named after my great grandmother. I love my name. I take my grandmothers hand and tell her "I have one more surprise."

I take my grandma to the same spot where her parents once stood. I show her the benches I made. It has the names of Tommy and Rosalie. "Do you like it?" My grandma turns to me and tells me "Thank you for bringing a part of my parents back to me." I hug my grandma. "I love you."

UNION TRAIN STATION 1945

Three years, it's been three years since I said goodbye to Tommy. Joanna is three years old. She's growing up so fast. Joanna is asking me "Where's papa?" I don't know what to tell her.

I haven't received a letter from Tommy in a very long time. I haven't given up hope that Tommy is alive. I know he's alive. I feel it in my heart.

Me and Joanna are back at Union train station at the very same spot where I said goodbye to Tommy. The war is over and I'm hoping if I see the soldiers coming out of the trains that one of them maybe my Tommy.

Here come the returning soldiers. One by one their loved ones go running to them. They are crying and smiling. The last soldier comes put and sadly he is not Tommy. "Sorry baby girls daddy is not here." I pick up Joanna and turn to leave but when I do I hear Joanna say "Papa."

"Rosalie." I turn around and standing in front of me is Tommy. My love survived. I put Joanna down. She runs to Tommy. Tommy picks her up.

"My little girl. You are so beautiful." Tommy kisses Joanna. Joanna giggles. Tears begin to burn my eyes. Tommy stretches his hand out to me. I run into his arms and hug him. "I missed you so much. I'm so happy you are home. " I kiss Tommy. "Me too."

PRESENT TIME

The memories Union train station holds for my family is very special. In my heart I know my great grandparents are happy and smiling at us.

Across the way I see my great grandparents holding hands and watching us. I smile and they disappear.

October 20, 2022 22:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.