1 comment

Contemporary Fiction Happy

Every morning, she starts the day with “Good Morning!” She read it was a positive thing to do in a book by Michelle Obama. She began that during a rough patch. I’ve wanted to tell her over and over things always get better. I should know. I’ve seen people hit rough patches before.

Last year, she lost her job. It was days of red and swollen eyes. She disappeared for a few days. I heard her. She stayed in bed because sounds would come from her bedroom direction. One day, I saw her. She came into the room and stuck her tongue at me. She stuck her chin out and put a sign up on the wall. It read, “You can do it” and “Don’t doubt yourself.” She started a mantra. “You are kind. You are beautiful. You are smart.”

She returned to her routine of showering, putting makeup on, and doing her hair. She didn’t dress for the office but wore shirts, jeans, or leggings. I wanted to ask her why she was doing this but decided it wasn’t time.

I was surprised soon by hearing her jumping around and singing. The next day, she dressed in her black suit and colorful blouse. Her face was flushed a bit, and her eyes were serious, with a touch of nervousness. The next time I saw her, she was changed back into her shirt and jeans. She said to me, “You did the best you could. That was a tough interview. Maybe it will work out.” She tied her hair in a ponytail, and I heard workout music start. I wanted to tell her about a half hour later, I heard her phone ring. But the workout music continued.

She came to talk to me and said, “I received a voicemail, and I’m afraid to hear it. You know most HRs don’t even bother to call if you don’t get the job. It could be good news. But I’m scared. I’ll call Becky.”

Becky’s her best friend. I’ve seen her. She’s been over at our house a lot lately. I think she gave her a pep talk, and that’s the reason she pulled herself together. I heard her talking to Becky and then a squeal. There was a flurry of activity and a door slam.

Most days now, she returned to her usual routine. Occasionally, she would work again in her shirts and jeans, but most of the time, she would dress in suits and colorful blouses. I noticed new things. She trimmed her hair and colored it with a bit of red. She spent the first few days staring and smiling with a satisfied look. New lipsticks and eyeliners were added to her makeup kit. She asked me each time what I thought. I smiled or made a face. When I made a face, she washed off the experiment.

I saw this new job took a toll on her. She would yawn, and bags were forming under her eyes. One day, I noticed she placed a new bottle below me. When she picked it up late at night, I saw it was CBD and melatonin. I knew then how much the stress of the new job was costing her. Her face was puffy when she wished me a good morning. Should I tell her? For a moment, she stood with her eyes closed. It almost seemed as if she was sleeping, standing up. When her eyes opened, she leaned on the counter. “I don’t know how much longer I can keep this up. Maybe when I finish this project, it will get better.” I hoped so for her sake.

Becky came over during the weekend. I could hear them talking about how she was being bullied by a supervisor. I strained to hear more. They talked for a long time.

Her shoulders didn’t seem as tight the next time I saw her. She repeated her mantra and smiled. Becky and she must have come up with a plan.

When I saw her in the morning, she smiled, but her eyes were worried. Something was going to happen. I wished I could ask. Now was not the time. By the time evening came, I was anxious to see her. When she did come home, her eyes were glassy. “You know what? I am done with that project and with Bruce. He tried again to put moves on me, then berated me, but now I have a recording of him. I am smart. I am beautiful.” She posed and made a pouty face, then crossed her eyes. “But I am not kind. I will report him and ask to be moved from his team, and I can prove why. So ha!”

 I laughed and clapped. I couldn’t help it.

She stared with her mouth wide open. I said, “Whoops.”

She stiffened, turned, and left the room. I froze. Soon, she peeked in the room again. I mimicked her. She came back into the room. “I guess I had more to drink than I thought. I thought you laughed,” she said to me.

I moved my eyes from her. “I guess I did.”

It was her turn to freeze. “I’ve been meaning to tell you for a long time. I wasn’t sure the time would come, but I couldn’t help but laugh when you made that face.”

She went rigid. She turned and left the room again. I heard her say hello to Becky. “Becky, how much did I drink tonight? That’s not too much. I didn’t leave my drinks, but could someone have put something in any of them? Oh, no reason. I was feeling more drunk than I thought I should have. Okay. Bye.”

Again, she peeked in the side of my frame. This time, I didn’t mimic her. “I should probably tell you I’ve been with you like this the whole time you’ve lived here.”

She said nothing.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

She nodded.

“Okay. Um. No, you didn’t drink too much, and no one put anything in your drink. The people who owned the house before you bought me at an auction in Salem. 

Her eyes went wide. “Salem, Massachusetts?” 

“No. Salem, Oregon.” She nodded. “Oh, okay. 

“I was brought over from Scotland years and years ago. When the couple who brought me died, their estate was put up for auction. The last occupants were religious. I was afraid they would throw me in the rubbish if they found me out. They might have thought I was from the devil. I’m not, you know. I’m just charmed. I decided it might be better to be quiet when you move in. I was afraid I would give you a fright. I do nothing like grant wishes or anything. I just listen. I can give you ideas, but they truly come from you. I reflect on your thoughts. See how I did that? Reflect on your thoughts? Ha!”

Her face had become ashen. Now, some of her color was restored. “But you are not real.”

“Well, in a sense, I am. I’m kind of a spirit inside this frame.”

She leaned forward and put her fingers on the side of my frame. She contorted her body to look behind me. “You’re flat. Where are your wires? Are you some form of AI? Wait. I work for a private corporation. Is this espionage?”

“No, nothing like that. I’m a glass, and I can do this due to, perhaps, the sand that made me.”

“Which came from Scotland.”

“That would be my guess.”

She looked around the bath. “Can I move you?”

“Yes. I guess you could.”

She left the bath and came back in minutes. “I am going to move you to the living room. I think I could be more comfortable with you there than where I shower.”

“That would be fine.”

She carefully removed me from the wall, moved me to the living room, and hung me over a lovely table.

“Now, will you tell me what the problem with Bruce was?”

“How about we do that tomorrow after I think about having a mirror that talks to me and if I can transfer out of his supervision?”

“That would be fine.”

When she came home, she brought a box containing a new mirror. She took it out and headed for the bathroom. I heard her moving around. Finally, she appeared to me. She cleared her throat. “Well, I didn’t turn Bruce in.”

“Oh? Why not?”

“I thought it wasn’t professional to go tattle tale.”

“I see.”

“I wanted to see if I would be reassigned to another project and have a change of supervisor before I did anything.”

“And?”

She smiled. “It worked, and I was assigned to head out a project.”

“That’s wonderful.”

She paused, and her smile faded, her eyes severe. “But Bruce was also assigned to lead another team.”

“And?”

“He had to recommend me to lead a team.”

“Okay, but?”

“I wonder if he’s done what he did to me to other women? And will he pick on a woman on his new team?”

I was quiet and mirrored her expression. “Maybe I should watch and see how his team members do.”

“Are you going to erase the audio you have on your phone?”

“No, I don’t think I will. Just in case I find other women have had similar experiences.”

“So, maybe all of you could report him?”

“But am I being a coward?”

“He could be asked to go to sensitivity training and not fired.”

“True.”

“Think about it.”

“Good idea. I think I’ll go now and make some dinner.”

“What should I call you?” 

She had walked into the house, removed her coat, and stood before me. I shrugged. “What would you like to call me?” 

“When I was little, I had an invisible friend, and I called her Susie. But that doesn’t seem right.” 

“How about Mimi?” 

She tilted her head. “Why, Mimi?” 

“Mi is Scots for me.” 

She stuck her chin out and raised her eyebrows. “Okay, that sounds good. I checked out Bruce’s new team today. Guess what? He was demoted. He’s not the team leader. He’s on a team with three men and two older married women.” 

“Wow. Do you think Bruce's boss realized?” 

“He might have been put on notice. At least this way, the company avoids a sexual harassment lawsuit and bad publicity.” 

“Smart. How do you feel about it?” 

“Vindicated. I’m keeping the audio just in case he’s ever assigned to me, but I think he’ll leave now that he’s been demoted. His ego has been challenged.” 

Her eyes had an upward turn to them and a light. Her smile was wide. Her shoulders were back, and I noticed a bounce in her step as she walked away from me. 

November 24, 2023 17:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Andrea Corwin
00:40 Dec 01, 2023

Sandra, this is a really cool story. It's such a great premise - it took me a minute to figure it out, and then I loved it. I loved the conversations. The only weird thing is that a mirror from Scotland might not know all the things she seemed to know (like sensitivity training) so if you ever decide to rework it into a longer one, you might want to add more in. It's so hard for writers to relay everything in short stories, isn't it? Great job!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.