42 comments

Speculative Fiction

After the explosion, time ceased to be linear. It collapsed on itself, pulling and forcing everything into a shifting nothingness. In retrospect, it is funny how we accepted time in its original, primordial flow, never questioning the laid-out sequence, the logical plan of that forward momentum. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

There was comfort in its predictability, one that no longer exists. I hunker down in the past only leaving the confines of my bedroom when it is necessary, when it becomes an absolute requirement for a semblance of normal living, like when I need to eat or take a shower. Stepping into the living room, kitchen, or bathroom, I find myself either in a present world where nothing makes sense, or even worse, a future that is disjointed, chaotic, and lacking in any discernibility. There are loops and time slides that bounce me between people, places, and events with such ferocity that my head feels like it will implode. Sometimes, all I want is to be given grace for having survived that initial paroxysm, to be able to understand myself and my relation to things again. There is an intrinsic desire to be part of an ebb and flow, but I am immobile and transfixed.

Each doorway, leading to another room, is the portal that scurries me to the next reality. Most days you will find me anchored to my bed, rocking back and forth as silent tears fall, splashing against the skin of my leg, a recognizable cadence. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. In this room, I can re-live the former things that I have let define me.

I can see your smile again for the first time.

Tick.

I re-watch the playful banter that formed the basis of our friendship and the flirtatious entreaties that followed.

Tock.

I linger in our jokes, the fullness of the laughter that flowed between us with ease. The intensity of your laugh washes over me like the sun, a brightness that imprisons me in its warm affection. With the series of events that occurred after the explosion, I have been cast into eternal darkness, and I don’t know if the sun or your smile is real. Is it? Was it?

Tick. Tock.

I watch the sun set on our inhibitions, you taking me to the heights of ecstasy with your mouth and your strong hands, savoring the way your skin feels pressed into mine. I know that part was real. I can still feel you.

Tick, tick, tick…

I remember you telling me that you felt dizzy, unbalanced, a pain in your abdomen, imploring you to see a doctor, but knowing I had no claim to spur you to action, being just friends. I wanted our friendship to be enough.

TOCK.

And then the universe exploded.

TTIICCKK^^^^TTTOOCCKK

I am confronted with the future state when I’m forced to go to the bathroom, which is more often than you would think. When showering or brushing my teeth, I tiptoe through these future insights, timid and nervous about what is happening, unsure of the skin I inhabit. A coldness sweeps over me that makes me shudder. I hear the solemn hymns swelling high above the stained-glass windows, the musty odor of the church off-putting in its wretched hold. I choke the sobs downward, gripping the edges of the pew I am sitting on, driving my fingers into the cushion. It is safest to keep my eyes closed as long as possible to delay the inevitable discovery. Someone hands me a tissue to dab the tears that race porous black streaks down my cheeks. I swiftly exit the bathroom. Tock_tock_tock_tock_tock.

The living room supplants me firmly in the present, a voided aching and helplessness. We are talking on the phone, trying our best to be lighthearted, skirting around the ugliness of the diagnosis.

“It’s not my time,” he whispers in my ear, “Don’t view this situation as something you are responsible for, Margaret.” I wilt when he says my name, my heart bending in the enunciation, his voice with its low accent, touching me in places that only he can reach.

“I do blame myself. I should have urged you to go to the doctor sooner. I mean, I tried, but I didn’t want to be overbearing.” I stop mid-thought. The hollowness of my inaction carves out the part of me that is breathing.

 “No,” he insists, “Neither of us are to blame. It is pure randomness disguised as purpose. It’s an ill-fated destiny, and I’ll get through it. I’ll be okay.” A pause, and then with determination he offers, “We’ll be okay.”

I muffle my heartache, pretending to buy into his optimism, allowing myself to relax into his reassurances. I can feel our lives beating in sync, moving toward a unified heartbeat.

Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock…

My trips outside this house are few. Driving to the grocery store or passing by the office, I find the streets are littered with ashen debris. I swerve to avoid collisions. Everything is blunted in greys and browns, a stagnant monotone that waits in the darkness, a hovering that assails me with its lack of substance. There are no doors to pass through and so I accelerate faster through this area where time does not exist. There is nothing tangible to hold me in a clawed grasp. I imagine that this is what hell feels like, an endless, running emptiness. Perhaps, I am in heaven. The idea causes me to smirk.

The windows of the buildings have been shattered, walls collapsed, the heap of a forgotten life that persists in its brokenness. It is difficult to maneuver these familiar streets, strewn with trash, newspapers from a bygone day, remnants of commerce, tattered articles of fabric, and bits and pieces of irrelevant items blocking me from reaching something. I want to reach it, and I can hear myself yelling and screaming at nothing and no one. A piercing hurt stabs at my thoughts. I strain as hard as I can desiring to catapult past this suffering. Relief sulks beyond my grasp, unfettered and mocking. It holds me in its cold stare. Unconsciously, I look down at my wristwatch, the second hand gliding a circular path to nowhere. It has lost all meaning, a trite and tired path. I am exhausted.

The ticking is silent, the second-hand victim to a repeating loop.

Within this world that has been slammed out of orbit, I cannot find anyone, not a solitary soul to initiate a connection. I am alone. I cautiously guide my car through the mess scattered on the roads, relieved when I pull into my driveway with my tires intact. I park neatly in my spot and wait listlessly for a sign, a signal, a remembrance that will propel me toward anything akin to a natural order. I dread walking into the quiet house, not knowing if I want to tackle the present or the future in order to get to the past.

Mulling over the possibilities, I say aloud to the starless night, “I wonder if I can straddle the past and the future, one foot in the bedroom and one in the bathroom, creating an equilibrium where I can always be with you?” The stinging throb hits me directly in my temple, and I grieve for not hearing an answer.

The best option I have is to sprint through the side door leading into the kitchen and make a brief stop in the bathroom before throwing myself back into the limitations of the bedroom. The hopscotch between spheres assaults my senses, and I drift between wrecked conversations.

In the kitchen –

“How did chemo go today?” I nimbly ask.

             He falters with his words, “I’m taking a beating this week.” He recovers his fortitude and looks at me with an intent keenness as if he is trying to record my visage, the singular features tucked away in his mind’s eye.

Tickkkkkkkkkkkkkk

In the bathroom -

The church bells drone a melody, a bittersweet clanging that portends a finality. I gaze down at your lifeless face in the casket. I don’t want to remember you this way. I avert my glance, and plead to you, to the gods, “Where are you, David?”

             A beckoning silence ensues.

Tockkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Drowning in the bed with a mad flailing of the blankets and sheets, trapped in fitful attempts to hold onto the past, I swirl around to take another look at the guy standing on the street corner.

Our eyes meet for the first time in that perfect, blissful moment, and you say, “You look lost. May I give you directions? Help you find your way?”

                          Knowing that I don’t want to be anywhere but here under your gaze, I respond with a brazen charm, “No, I have found where I am going.”

…kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

The grandfather clock, stationed outside the doorway of my bedroom, presides over the stillness of the night. Focusing on the swinging pendulum, I let it take me to the recesses of slumber, a gentle sleep that will provide renewal if I am lucky. I fear my luck has run out. I lay in bed, moving softly to the tempo, hoping the physical rhythm will jump-start the conventions of time. I lull myself to the other side, a desperation to rest. In the dreams that haunt my conscience, a doorbell rings, a rooster crows, and I fight against the moon’s currents. I am forever suspended within the flickering fog.

When I awaken, I force my legs over the side of the bed, shuffling to the window with my angst. I peek through the window blinds, the sunlight stinging my eyes. The light is muted, but I have not seen it for what feels like an eternity, and I’m forced to squint. The neighborhood is cloaked in garbage, a filthy clutter of nominal objects. Is that a bird chirping? I frantically raise my window, my heart fluttering at the thought of life, something other than me. I sink into the chair next to the window, as the heaviness that has courted me lifts. With the bird’s musical refrain, I realize that I will be able to adapt to a new pulse, one that is different and devoid of your voice, but a beat that my spirit can follow. Follow me, please, follow me.

Kcit-kcot-kcit-kcot…Kcit-kcot-kcit-kcot…Kcit-kcot-kcit-kcot…

March 27, 2024 01:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

42 comments

Isabel Jewell
01:43 Apr 12, 2024

Phenomenal work!! It’s moving, poetic and creative — a perfect story! Easy to read and engaging, I was hooked!

Reply

Harry Stuart
13:16 Apr 12, 2024

Thank you, Isabel, for reading all my stories and especially for this feedback! Makes my day knowing my story connected with you. I look forward to reading more that you post - have the best day. Good luck with today's contest...pulling for you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Uncle Spot
20:46 Apr 08, 2024

This story has two stars, prose and poetry. They are on a roller coaster ride in a world of grief. Like a riderless horse galloping in the sky wishing it's hooves would touch solid ground. Well done.

Reply

Harry Stuart
00:48 Apr 09, 2024

Thank you! Your comment is poetic and well-received. I'm appreciative of your kind feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
11:07 Apr 05, 2024

This is a masterful study of grief and the disjointed reality that seems to go with it. I love the ticking throughout and the reverse at the end… so powerful. Anyone who has struggled with grief and loss will resonate with this. Well done.

Reply

Harry Stuart
19:22 Apr 05, 2024

Thank you, Michelle, for reading and the very nice comments. It feels good knowing that this story connected with readers. Unfortunately, too many of us know the grief, but we also know the love behind it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:16 Apr 05, 2024

Wow! This piece is brilliant - heartbreaking yet so beautiful to read. So many phrases jumped out at me, this was one in particular that I loved. “I muffle my heartache, pretending to buy into his optimism, allowing myself to relax into his reassurances.”

Reply

Harry Stuart
19:24 Apr 05, 2024

Thanks, Christina! Appreciative of you reading and the feedback. I'm always interested in which lines grab people, the ones they remember. Look forward to reading more of your stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
18:37 Apr 04, 2024

Harry, this was incredible! Sometimes one person is your whole world and is enough to make time stand still (or go forwards/backwards/sideways/whichever) - this was hauntingly beautiful and your writing is hypnotic!

Reply

Harry Stuart
19:49 Apr 04, 2024

Martha! Thanks so much for reading and for your kind and thoughtful feedback. It feels good, knowing it connected with you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
18:02 Apr 04, 2024

This was beautiful and creative with wonderfully rich language. I loved the backward tick-tocks at the end. Such a subtle and representative way to fade the story out. Well done.

Reply

Harry Stuart
19:45 Apr 04, 2024

Thank you, Aeris! Really appreciate your kind feedback, and glad you liked the ending!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hesri Jjuantena
14:06 Apr 04, 2024

I loved reading this. It was so beautiful, I had no idea where it was going at the beginning but once I understood I literally got chills. What an interesting perspective on time. This was genius.

Reply

Harry Stuart
19:42 Apr 04, 2024

Your feedback means so much, Hesri! As a writer, you just want to make that connection with the reader. Thank you beyond words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julie Grenness
00:34 Apr 04, 2024

Well done.This tale presents an intriguing response to the prompt. The images and central themes, with the main character are vividly portrayed in this word picture. Folks, do not give up the ghost! Overall, this story worked well for this reader.

Reply

Harry Stuart
01:45 Apr 04, 2024

Thanks, Julie, for reading and your fun take on it! I appreciate you taking time and providing feedback. I'll be sure to read some of your stories soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fern Everton
20:49 Apr 03, 2024

“I wonder if I can straddle the past and the future, one foot in the bedroom and one in the bathroom, creating an equilibrium where I can always be with you?” Dear God, this is heartbreaking and beautiful all at once. I absolutely love how you utilize time to show the process of grief and how alone Margaret feels while going through it. Using the explosion as a metaphor for her love’s passing was also so perfect, especially given what her love passed from. Explosions are sudden and destroy everything in their path, much like how the cancer’...

Reply

Harry Stuart
01:43 Apr 04, 2024

Thanks, Fern, for the very kind feedback! Means so much when readers connect with the story and the characters. I take something away from everyone's comments -- very appreciative!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Marsh
12:10 Apr 03, 2024

This should have got shortlist, at least. I know you said it was a departure in style for you, but there's the same immersive nature to it and the characters are strong enough to resonate. I love a touch of surrealism - playing with time as a way to explore grief and holding on. You paint your world well without getting too caught up in world building/over description. It's very believable throughout. I totally adored the connection between them, the insight into how they met, the passion. Some of your lines are really beautiful. Great ...

Reply

Harry Stuart
15:07 Apr 03, 2024

Claire! I appreciate you reading and providing thoughtful feedback. I especially enjoy hearing your insights. You have such a unique writing style that I am hopeful to glean new ways of looking at and doing things as a writer by these type of exchanges. Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:24 Apr 01, 2024

I really enjoyed your story, the melodramatic tick tocks were a perfect addition to move the story along and create the suspense!

Reply

Harry Stuart
00:59 Apr 02, 2024

Thanks, Kristin! Glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. I. MumfoRD
14:34 Mar 31, 2024

A work of the highest literary merit achieving absolute mastery across all criteria to illuminate profound metaphysical themes through powerful storytelling and characterization of the utmost artistic caliber. Truly transcendent. I've got a lot of work to do to get up to your level.

Reply

Harry Stuart
01:17 Apr 01, 2024

Your comments are generous. I feel like I'm just getting my footing with writing - I'm most appreciative of the encouragement and your kind feedback. I'll be sure to read some of your works soon. Thank you, J.I.!

Reply

J. I. MumfoRD
06:33 Apr 01, 2024

Seriously, it’s a good story. You should be proud. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
19:12 Mar 30, 2024

Reading this, with the strong motif of time, I heard echoes of Auden's haunting poem. Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone, Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone, Silence the pianos and with muffled drum Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come. Grief stops all clocks and you're left living in a liminal space, one foot always in the past, one unable to step fully into the present, let alone the future. Resonant.

Reply

Harry Stuart
21:08 Mar 30, 2024

I found and read Auden's poem that you reference, and it struck me...I was trying to convey the same sentiments about grief and time. For you to hear echoes of that haunting poem in my story is truly humbling. I am appreciative of your feedback, Rebecca. I enjoyed your recent submittal about the moon and its tribulations. It was an engaging read, full of wit and fun imagery. I look forward to reading your prior works. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Trbovic
20:43 Mar 27, 2024

If it is anything loss is a glue that connects too many of us. This piece so painfully depicts what so many of us have gone / go through. I had a very weird twang after reading David’s name, took me firmly back to my dad. A favourite line ‘It is pure randomness disguised as purpose. It’s an ill-fated destiny’. You are an artist, sir.

Reply

Harry Stuart
00:49 Mar 28, 2024

That is the nicest compliment, Claire. I am beyond appreciative. I am sorry to hear of your dad. Agreed that there are too many of us connected through loss and grief. Hopeful that these writing endeavors help us all heal on some level. I need to catch up on reading your most recent stories and prior works. From what I've gleaned, you write with a commanding voice and you're not afraid to take chances. I like your style. Thank you again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
16:33 Mar 27, 2024

Harry, I have no words. This was terrific. I've never been through the experience this terrible disease, either as a patient or as a family member of someone who had it (Although, there was a time in my life doctors thought I did. Long story.), but I think you perfectly captured the storm of going through treatment. Beautifully poignant. Amazing job !

Reply

Harry Stuart
00:41 Mar 28, 2024

Thank you, Stella! Your feedback means a lot - I find your stories to be captivating. You have a natural flow to your works - the words seem to come so naturally. Your stories are filled with abundant and beautiful imagery. Appreciative of you reading mine. Thank you again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
08:08 Mar 27, 2024

I know a lot of being lost even do I didn't lost no one from the cancer. Your vivid description demonstrated the process of being on chemotherapy so I could understand. Sorry for your loss. Nice work.

Reply

Harry Stuart
15:02 Mar 27, 2024

Thanks, Darvico, for the kind words. It's my attempt at an allegory for grief, so yes, it would encompass many types of losses. I'm enjoying reading your stories. I'll be looking for your next set!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
05:08 Mar 27, 2024

Feeling loss is like time failing you. Why does the sun go on shining...why do the stars shine above... Thanks for liking my 'Living on Easy Street!'.

Reply

Harry Stuart
14:48 Mar 27, 2024

You always have great comments, Mary -- succinct in how they get right to the heart of a story. Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
03:08 Mar 27, 2024

Oh, my! I have tears in my eyes. First, the disorientation of the possibility of losing an anchor/ a compass/ a regulator. second, the tip toe through the wasteland of "treatment". Third, surviving the loss -I don't' want to remember you this way - I will be able to adjust to a new pulse (the scream - 'But I don't want to' is inherent) Damn! you are good! I'm humbled. Yes. I'll be kind. One, you don't need names. loss is universal (especially since you only used each once.) two, in the first few paragraphs see if you want to break up t...

Reply

Harry Stuart
03:38 Mar 27, 2024

Trudy, I am the one who is humbled. Your feedback is so heartfelt and genuine, and I really am moved by you taking the time to read and provide such thoughtful comments. I made the obvious edit with the word “within,” and I’m going to take another look at the opening paragraphs to see how best to make them flow more easily. I like the idea of the universality, so I’ll see how best to rework the phrasings where the names come up. Again, I am grateful to have your thoughts on my writings – it means more than you know. I am very sorry to hear ...

Reply

Trudy Jas
04:33 Mar 27, 2024

Cancer is a Bitch! I'm sorry you lost a brother to it. There is no way to replace a brother. They are unique. Mine was only 18 months older and had my back. I have shamelessly used my memories of him in 'smoke on the water" (the skating and glider scenes) and 'caramel eyes '(the early years). And still could fill pages. Writing does help. Though, I have to read my writing many times before I stop crying. Don't sweat any re-writes. Remember it's YOUR story. If the cadence, the rhythm, the flow feels good to you, then it IS good! Like a pai...

Reply

Harry Stuart
14:42 Mar 27, 2024

I'll always join you for another glass, Trudy, especially if it's one in toasting our brothers. My brother was 4 years younger. It's been hard without him - it just sort of defies the natural order of things. He was a good man - a police officer - there are traces of him that come through in my stories most definitely. I'm anxious to go back and read your prior works. I'll be on special lookout for the ones you referenced. Finding Reedsy has been a rewarding experience in being able to talk with other writers and share ideas/thoughts. I e...

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:57 Mar 27, 2024

I ditto everything you said. :-) I re-read your story, okay not all, the first paragraphs. I don't know if you did anything, but to me it flowed better. Could be my brain is working better today. :-) I know what you meant about the natural order of things. I'm the youngest in my family (only girl, so an oddball) but I would never have thought I'd lose him before my other brothers. And yes, I'm enjoying our chats as well.

Reply

Harry Stuart
02:19 Mar 29, 2024

I did rework it a bit - glad to know the flow feels more natural. I’m ready for another prompt 😊

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.