3 comments

General

The Cruel War

Suzanne Marsh

Emma Martin stood silently outside the log cabin, her eyes shaded by her hand, as the Texas sun once again rose high in the sky. Suddenly, a lone rider appeared on a large bay, the boy she was eagerly watching for; Jed Strong. Jed galloped down the trace as Emma waved and smiled that beautiful smile.

Jed dismounted long enough to kiss Emma, then he was back in the saddle. He pulled Emma up in back of the saddle and galloped toward the canyon. He wanted to tell her that he had enlisted in the 1st Texas and ask her to be his wife upon his return. He stopped the bay at a small stream and helped Emma down from the horse. He held her in his arms for several moments:

“Emma, I dun enlisted today to go kill me some of them Yankees. I knowed I promised you

that I wouldn't but then Zeb Baker convinced me that it were the right thing to do.”

Emma felt the tears begin to well in her eyes:

“Jed, oh Jed why? Y’all could be gone for years!”

Jed knew this was not going to be easy:

“Emma, the war ain't gonna last but a month, we'll whup them Yankees and be home

before fall.”

Emma knew she could not talk Jed out of going, yes it was the right thing to do but...something she felt told her that nothing would ever be the same again in Texas. She knew that they were fighting for the rights but had no idea what rights. Jed, then knelt down on one knee taking her hand:

“Emma, when this war in over will you do me the honor of being my wife?”

Emma, her face alight:

“oh Jed I'll wait for you. When do you have to leave?”

Jed knew she would be crestfallen but it could not be helped:

“as soon as I git you back to your folks cabin.”

Jed, put Emma back up on the back of the bay, mounted and together they galloped back to the cabin. Jed once again dismounted then helped Emma down. Jed, kissed Emma farewell, mounted the bay, gave a whoop and rode off toward Fort Tumbleweed.

Later that evening Zeb and Jed pledged their allegiance to the Confederacy. The men with horses mounted, Zeb and Jed included. Their first night they camped just outside of Belton, Texas. Jed and Zeb, talked into the night. The following morning assembly sounded, then Colonel Louis Wigfall stood in front of them.

“Men we are moving out today for Virginia. I will be going no further with you I am resigning, President Jefferson Davis has asked to me to become a Senator in our congress. I would like to introduce you now to Brigadier General John B. Hood who will lead the first Texas. I want to thank you men for joining our brigade and may God go with you.”

Men, cheered, others took this as a bad omen. Zeb and Jed exchanged looks. The following morning, the men were told they had their marching orders, only officers were allowed to keep their horses. Jed, found his Captain and explained that he wanted to return the bay home before he left:

“Look, boy, there ain't no way you are gonna make it back here on foot afore we pull out.

Tell you what, that is a handsome bay, I will offer you twenty dollars for him.

Jed wasn't happy but accepted the captain's money.

Ten o'clock in the morning the platoon moved out of Belton, the engine of the train spewing dust and soot onto everything around it. The men boarded quickly, found seats and made themselves comfortable, they wondered were they were going. They did not have to wait long, the colonel passed the word they were bound for Virginny. Zeb, began to regret that he had signed up, he had a feeling, as his ma called it. He shrugged it off, and smiled at Jed. Jed quickly wrote a short note to Emma, telling her he was headed for Virginny and would write again when he could. He knew she would worry but that could not be helped.

The train rumbled through the night it would take at least several days to get to Virginia. The men balked at being confined to the train. They were told they had to get men to the Peninsula in the quickest manner, that General Joseph “(Fightin Joe”) Johnston needed them. None of the Texans knew much about General Joe Johnston, for that matter they had no idea who General Hood was either other than their new commander. They finally arrived in Virginia on May 6th, 1862 the beginning of the Seven Days of battle that they would take part in. They disembarked from the train, black from soot, fell into line and prepared to march toward Eltham's Landing or as the battle is now called the Battle of West Point. They held and won the battle. Zeb and Jed were in their element, they saw the elephant in their first engagement.

Time moved on slowly for both men. The marches from battle to battle seemed endless. Word came down that once again they were moving out. This time to someplace called Sharpsburg, easy they thought, they were gonna whup McClellan once again. Sharpsburg, or Antietam as the Yanks referred to was the first Union victory. The 1st Texas did not take defeat lightly. Then toward the end of June 1863, once again they were marching toward a small town in Pennsylvania, all available men, even the slightly wounded. The forced marched began to take a toll, men were quietly sneaking off at night. Sentries were posted, skirmishers were put in place. General James (Old Pete) Longstreet commanding.

Cannons began to blaze, drummers sounded attack. Grey uniforms charging blue. The first day of battle appeared to have been won by the confederates. Zeb and Ben, sat under the shade of an oak tree:

“Zeb this Gettysburg is hotter than Texas.”

A bullet whizzed over head:

“Yeah, I know Jed, wish I were back home, I am getting so tired of this war, it was supposed

to be over in a month, we been in the army for two years already.

“I know Zeb, maybe after this battle we can get some leave and go home.”

The following morning, day two of the battle Zeb and Jed found themselves in formation. They noticed musket fire coming from the trees. General John Bell Hood and General James Longstreet were obviously having a discussion:

“Sam, you gotta take that mount over yonder, your the best I got Sam.”

Hood, returned to his brigade. They charged gallantly up the hill. Suddenly Zeb fell. Jed stopped to help him, thinking he had stumbled. Blood poured out of the musket wound in his back. Jed, began yelling:

“stretcher barer, stretcher barer, Zeb you hang on you hear me Zeb.”

Tears began to flow down Jed's face as he followed Zeb's body down Little Round Top. Jed, made up his mind the first chance had, he was leaving, going home to Texas, he had done his duty and more. His opportunity came just before General George Pickett's charge. He crept toward the trees as other members of the first Texas sat quietly.

Jed ran for his life. He had seen enough men die these past two years. He hoped he would not get caught, desertion was death by hanging. Jed, saw a farm not far from Gettysburg, there stood a beautiful black stallion. He jumped on the horse's back. Going at a full gallop toward the south and safety. He stayed clear of both armies. Finally, the horse collapsed in Louisiana. From there Jed began walking toward Texas and home.

Each day Emma watched from the front porch, finally her watching was rewarded. She saw a ragged gray uniform with a scarecrow inside it. She could feel the tears welling in her eyes as she recognized the scare she began running toward it:

“Jed, oh Jed, you came home, you are safe.” Jed had no idea he would be safe as he tried to explain to Emma what happened:

“I had to come home Em, I have to tell Zeb's folks he died at Gettysburg.”

Emma, kissed him through their tears:

“Jed, I am glad you are home, if I have to hide you I will until this cruel and hateful war is

over.”

June 02, 2020 19:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Pragya Rathore
05:56 Jun 03, 2020

What an exquisite romance... I really loved it... I fell in love with Jed and Emma! You write beautifully, Sue! Please check out my stories too :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ethan Jarmush
18:09 Jun 11, 2020

Dialogue was quite good with the use of dialect. I liked the use of the southern perspective, not something seen very often. I would say it felt rushed but there were no loose ends and the motives all made sense. Overall very good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Agnes Ajadi
20:52 Jun 02, 2020

Nice story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.