"Lost in Parallel: A Scientist's Journey to Find Her Way Home"

Written in response to: Write a story involving a portal into a parallel universe.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Mystery Science Fiction

Once upon a time, there was a brilliant scientist named Dr. Catherine Brown. Dr. Brown was a physicist who had spent her entire life trying to understand the mysteries of the universe. She had always been fascinated by the idea of a parallel universe, a place where everything was different and yet somehow the same. Despite her extensive research and numerous experiments, she had never been able to find any evidence of such a universe.

One day, while working in her laboratory, Dr. Brown noticed something strange. There was a small, shimmering portal hovering in the air in front of her. At first, she thought it was a trick of the light, but as she stepped closer, she could feel the energy emanating from the portal.

Dr. Brown was filled with a sense of excitement and curiosity. She had never seen anything like this before. She knew that this could be her chance to finally discover the secrets of the parallel universe she had been searching for all her life.

With a deep breath, she stepped through the portal, and suddenly everything changed. She found herself in a world that was both familiar and completely foreign at the same time. The sky was a deep shade of purple, and the trees were a strange, twisted shape that she had never seen before.

Dr. Brown was amazed by what she saw. She had never imagined that a place like this could exist. She felt a sense of wonder and excitement that she had not felt in years.

As she explored this new world, Dr. Brown began to notice that there were subtle differences between this universe and her own. People looked different, and the way they spoke was different too. The buildings were made of a material that she could not identify, and the technology was far more advanced than anything she had ever seen before.

As she wandered through this strange new world, Dr. Brown met a man named John. John was a scientist just like her, and he had been studying the parallel universe for years. He explained to her that this world was just one of an infinite number of possible universes, each with its own unique characteristics.

John showed Dr. Brown around, taking her to see some of the wonders of this new universe. They visited a city that was suspended high in the air, floating on giant balloons. They also saw creatures that resembled giant lizards, walking on two legs and speaking in a language that she could not understand.

Dr. Brown was amazed by all of this. She felt like a child again, filled with wonder and excitement at every new discovery. She knew that she had to find a way to bring some of this technology and knowledge back to her own world.

With John's help, Dr. Brown began to work on a way to create a stable portal between the two universes. It was a difficult task, but they were both determined to make it happen. They worked tirelessly, day and night, until finally, after months of effort, they succeeded.

Dr. Brown stepped through the portal once again, this time returning to her own universe. She was filled with excitement and anticipation, eager to share the wonders of the parallel universe with her colleagues and the world at large.

But as she stepped out of the portal, she realized that something was wrong. Everything looked the same, but it felt different somehow. She quickly realized that she had not returned to her own universe at all. Instead, she had entered a different parallel universe, one that was almost identical to her own, but with subtle differences that were difficult to detect.

Dr. Brown was confused and disoriented. She had no idea how to get back to her own universe, and she feared that she may never be able to return. She was stranded in this strange new world, surrounded by people and things that were almost the same as what she knew, but



Continue

just different enough to make her feel like a stranger.

Determined not to give up, Dr. Brown began to explore this new universe, hoping to find some clue that would lead her back to her own. She studied the people, the language, the technology, searching for any subtle differences that might reveal the key to her return.

Days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months, but still, Dr. Brown was unable to find a way back to her own universe. She began to despair, feeling lost and alone in this strange new world.

One day, while wandering through a park, Dr. Brown saw a man who looked familiar. She approached him, hoping that he might be able to help her.

"Excuse me," she said, "do I know you?"

The man looked at her with a puzzled expression. "I don't think so," he said. "I'm sorry."

Dr. Brown was about to turn away when she noticed something strange. The man was wearing a watch that looked exactly like one she had seen in the parallel universe. She knew then that she had found a clue.

She asked the man where he had gotten the watch, and he told her that he had bought it at a local store. Dr. Brown raced to the store, hoping to find more clues.

At the store, she discovered that the watch was part of a new line of products that had just been released. She knew then that she had to find a way to get her hands on one of these watches, in the hopes that it might help her find her way back to her own universe.

Dr. Brown spent the next several weeks working on a plan. She used her knowledge of the parallel universe to design a device that could create a temporary portal between the two universes. With John's help, she was able to build the device, and she used it to travel back to the parallel universe.

Once there, she went straight to the store and purchased one of the watches. She knew that time was of the essence, so she quickly made her way back to the portal.

But just as she was about to step through, she was stopped by a group of men in suits. They told her that she was under arrest for stealing the watch.

Dr. Brown tried to explain that she was not a thief, that she was from another universe and was only trying to find her way back home. But the men did not believe her.

She was taken to a nearby facility, where she was interrogated for hours. But no matter what she said, the men refused to believe her story.

Days turned into weeks, and still, Dr. Brown was trapped in the facility, unable to escape. She began to lose hope, feeling like she would never be able to find her way back to her own universe.

But then, one day, John appeared at her cell. He had managed to track her down and had come to rescue her.

Together, they used the device that Dr. Brown had built to create a portal back to her own universe. This time, it worked perfectly, and they stepped through to find themselves back in their own world.

Dr. Brown was overjoyed to be back home, but she knew that she would never forget the wonders of the parallel universe. She had learned so much during her time there, and she knew that she would spend the rest of her life trying to understand the mysteries of the universe, hoping to one day find a way back to the parallel universe that had captured her heart.

April 28, 2023 16:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.