CUT BUT DO NOT FEAR

Written in response to: Make your protagonist go through a rite of passage.... view prompt

3 comments

Coming of Age Teens & Young Adult Western

"mmmmmmmmh, aaaaaaaaaah, eeeeeeeeeeh" the villagers murmur from outside the homestead.

It is 11:00pm when we arrive at Michael Kobasa's home in Machemer village, Bungoma county. The initiates who have been sleeping after 4 hours of vigorous dancing and jingling of the traditional circumcision bells known as geneva are woken up for yet another dance. It is a chilly night following a heavy downpour, but these doesn't dampen the mood as it says the right background for the lifetime right ahead.

Excitement feels the air or beads samba for the candidates just about to face the circumciser to prove their manhood. Suddenly a sharp cry runs the frigid night air followed by the latians drama and rhythmic chants. With close relatives assuming control of the festivities charged up from consuming the thick traditional triple busa a local favorite brewed for such occasion.


In a different part of Dreadlocks village hi Elly another part of this family is in the throes of the same ceremony with a vast scene day meaning the uncircumcised. Devar scene day are kept under the watchful eye of the man on the bed less they encounter any mishap. In the sitting room the grandmother Mrs. Bassin is entertaining the guests, however outside the house is a completely different situation. As a hot-blooded youth are determined to get down to the early moon as they say.


Miss Kubasek who treats her guests with busa served in the 'enyungu' full of long relaxed rows called 'Chi sahaya' and the swallow sheep continues. The men use this time to share traditional drinks, and these is the time they will recount their history, all while discussing the future of their tribe.it is an opportunity to talk about their cultures, their relationship with neighboring tribes and other important matters that concerns their tribes. Among them are some old men who will take time to speak about the early days of their tribes and some other important history of their time.


Back in Machemer village its 4:30 a.m. It is time to take the initiates to the river for a long-practiced ritual of man smearing before the cut. This ritual is known as 'khumsalaba'. This ritual symbolizes a transition from childhood to manhood. Smearing is believed to fortify the body as the same time serving as a form of anesthesia numbing the senses in the readiness of the cut. The initiates are taken through these final motions the final rites of passage because after this it's facing the knife. They are not allowed to go back after they have already crossed the Rubicon. There is also a very select group with people allowed to be with the initiates to give them the advice to strengthen the spirit as they go to face the knife in barely an hour.


On the other side is a group of people they are not allowed to get close as these is a very crucial part of the ceremony. Now the journey from the river starts with yet another age-old song 'Ceo yo-yo' whose rhythm has been maintained from the days of old in Bukusu culture. it reminds the candidates to shun cowardice and embrace bravery, key virtues of manhood. At home the anxiety and tension is palpable with the restless father doing his best to hide his anxiety and doing a very job at it.


In a separate modern thatched kitchen, the female relatives are forced to stretch on the floor with their legs of stretch on the floor in an old age ritual to deter any mishap. The hour of reckoning is nigh as Wamalwa Wafula and Wetangula Malave clad in the distinctive uniform and armed with a wicked looking traditional knife and ready for the deed prepare for the cut. These men are not allowed to sleep with any woman on these D-day as they knife their knives ready for the cut. The reason is believed that they have to spare their energy for this operation and have concentration during the ceremony to take place. This notion has some humor in it that me and you can't understand. For instance, "what energy?"


During the day the boy is made to go to the uncle to collect the''lihoni' And they are given back something called' Kisombo.' He is also given a cow from the mother's side, because when the man married the mother, he also gave out dowry. Thus, when circumcising the son,they send the reward back. The boys finally appear when everything is in full place. They head up to an open flat area where the real event will take place. the ceremony is public and both men and women are allowed to attend. Right before the event starts there is a collective of calmness in the audience as the protocol demands from the public. A flash of fear can be sensed out throughout the public. Given that this process can be fatal though it rarely happens. The two men then show up to perform the circumcision which is testified by blood on the floor in less than 30 seconds it's over and the vast scene day graduate to vafulu and join the league of manhood.


The uncles inspect the result in song and dance and ululations once again rend the air. The young men will be covered and made to sit down in other to receive their gifts. After receiving the gifts, they are led to a small, thatched house where the process of recovery will begin. The initiates enter the house backwards believed to be a tradition so that the healing may take place faster. As the ceremony conclude the guests will head home again and they will wait for two years for the ceremony to take place again.


#The Bukusu believe that a man who has not undergone this ritual will be considered a complete man even if he is strong and wealthy. The ceremony is painful, but it helps to maintain their unique culture and differentiate them from other tribes. It is an important ritual that connects them to their history and gives them hope for the future.

July 06, 2023 10:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Jane Andrews
07:41 Jul 08, 2023

It’s a fascinating insight into another culture. I’m guessing English isn’t your first language as this reads as if you are translating from your own tongue, but as a first attempt, you should feel proud of yourself. The way to improve your own writing in English is to read as much good writing as you can. This is potentially a very good story, and in time - when you write more confidently in English - you will be able to go back to it and polish it. As it stands, it’s still an interesting story. Well done.

Reply

Euodia Albright
17:08 Jul 09, 2023

True English isn't my first language but is my best language. Thanks for the advice, il try to put into consideration what you have told me as I continue to do more practice. Thanks once more for your comment. I know we learn from correction and thanks for highlighting my mistake looking forward for more of your comments. Thanks for the warm remarks to.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Euodia Albright
06:08 Jul 08, 2023

You can drop some comments to help me improve in my writing. Fan of writing stories yet to publish one but as soon it is out il let you know. I was caught short of dollars still depending on parents studying no job yet couldn't submit my work. Thanks to those all who have read the story to the end always remember to check up for more of my stories like and comment to help me improve where necessary. I'll be grateful for your support. Thank you once more..

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.