0 comments

Contemporary

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

            Maria waved across the dimly lit reception hall, excitedly flagging down her other friends. She still couldn’t believe they had all managed to make it. For the first time in, what, ten years? they had all managed to come together and she could barely contain her excitement. 

            Caleb, Shelby, and Warren took their seats around the table, taking in the opulent decorations surrounding them. Fairy light curtains twinkled from the ceiling and multiple sets of tiered candles hung from the walls, casting undulating shadows across the hall. Large swaths of cream-colored silk wrapped around the tables for the wedding party. Cream linen table-covers overlaid each table, draped to the floor.  Hundreds of guests sat on overstuffed chairs, their low voices creating a rhythmic hum throughout the room. Fresh white roses dominated each table, cloaking the room in their overpowering fragrance. Classical music lulled gently from the speakers, and people in very expensive-looking suits and ballgowns, of all things, stood together, drinking their whiskeys and wines. 

            No matter what anyone had to say, Aislynn had obviously made it.

            “I don’t think I got the memo about the dress code,” Shelby laughed, smoothing down her navy skirt. The others chuckled in agreement. 

            “I didn’t realize she’d gotten so…wealthy,” Warren mused. “I wonder if she’d like to invest.”

            Caleb rolled his eyes. “Seriously, Warren, her husband is an oil tycoon or something, they’re not going to invest in the new version of Angry Birds.”

            “That’s not—” 

            “How are the kids?” Shelby asked, leaning closer to Maria, leaving Warren and Caleb to bicker amongst themselves.

            “Oh my Gosh, they’re so good,” Maria gushed, frantically swiping through her phone, and pulling pictures up of half-dressed toddlers playing in dirt and practically shoving it in Shelby’s face. “Aren’t they so cute? I miss them. I mean, I’m so happy to be here, and see all of you guys, but God when I’m away from them…” Her voice drifted off and Shelby could sense she was remembering some heartfelt memory probably involving dirt or mess or food all over or marker ink on things it shouldn’t be on, and she smiled half-heartedly. 

            “You look so happy,” Shelby finally commented.

            “I am. Really. Never thought I’d want to be a stay-at-home mom, but I honestly couldn’t picture doing anythingelse. When do you and Gopi want to have kids?”

            Shelby almost choked on her water and laughed. “Oh, we don’t want kids. We’re going to finish our residencies and then travel and just enjoy life. Kids aren’t on the table.”

            “Oh, really?” Maria appeared deflated at the news. “I didn’t want a bunch of kids, either, but loving them is like nothing else I’ve ever experienced.”

            Shelby nodded, having heard this exact sentiment numerous times before, especially from Gopi’s strict Indian family, and was content to let this particular conversation die off. She turned her head towards Caleb and Warren, who had moved on from talk of investing in Warrens (tech? social media? she wasn’t sure,) company and listened as they discussed Caleb’s life in Manhattan. 

            “I don’t know if I could do it,” Warren boasted, shaking his head. “It’s so dirty there. So much dirtier than I was thinking. Homeless people. Trash. I mean, I rode the subway, and a homeless guy pissed in the corner, and it got on my shoes. Louboutins.”

            Caleb rolled his eyes and motioned for the bar staff to refill his white wine. “I love it. I like the hustle and bustle, I like the crowds, I love the theater people. I’m living my best life, honestly. But if you want some advice, people wearing Louboutins don’t ride the subway. They get drivers.”

            Even Maria snorted a laugh at that, and Warren looked away, temporarily humbled. Only for a moment though, and Caleb watched as Warren’s eyes wandered through the crowd, settling on a group of younger girls giggling and talking in hushed tones. One of them glanced over at him and he cocked his head and smiled, his grin growing even wider as the girl blushed and looked away. 

            “I wonder how long they’ll be taking pictures,” Caleb wondered aloud, not surprised to find he was already bored with his old friend’s company. Sure, they had all been best friends from junior high to halfway through college, but that had been so long ago. They barely had anything in common anymore. Warren wasn’t his computer nerd friend that could get past the internet blocks at school, he was rich now, or at least wanted you to think he was, and had filled out and apparently was really enjoying the ladies that brought along with it according to his Facebook.  And Shelby, she wasn’t his clarinet buddy anymore, she had moved across the country right after high school and started pre-med and he couldn’t really blame her, but she’d been completely absorbed by that. Mostly, he missed Maria, who used to share the same sense of humor as him and could make him laugh even on his worst days, but she’d gotten married to her high-school boyfriend when he joined the army and after she started having kids all she wanted to talk about was them. And that’s fine, he guessed, but as a gay man working in theatre in Manhattan, it left little common ground for them to talk about. As far as Aislynn, honestly, he had been surprised to get an invitation from her. He knew they’d been friends in school, just like the rest of them, but she was one he hadn’t kept in touch with since graduating. He hadn’t thought any of them had. He was excited to come to the wedding and see everyone, of course, but it wasn’t even time for appetizers and he felt the excitement waning. Surveying everyone else’s bored expression at the table, he guessed they were feeling the same. 

            Sensing the lull in the conversation, Maria began drinking more quickly, laughing a little louder, getting tipsier than she’d been in years. She hadn’t had a single drink in probably four years and now here she was, two glasses of wine in and her face was starting to numb. The others followed her lead and began drinking, helping to ease the awkward silence of it all. Before too long, the bridal party was introduced followed by the bride and groom, and the reception was finally under way.

             Apparently during these events, the electric slide wasn’t the norm and none of them knew how to waltz and so they spent the rest of the evening in each other’s company at their designated table. Shelby, feeling flushed, had piled her long hair on top of her head and was animatedly retelling the story about the time they’d broken into the abandoned TB hospital and how now it’s called “urban exploring” and people have entire YouTube channels about it. Warren pointed out how Maria got them out of trouble by convincing the cops that showed up they were doing a school project about response times of emergency services. Caleb guffawed, recalling how the police officer didn’t know how to respond and eventually told them all to get lost, when they all heard an “ahem,” and turned.

            Aislynn stood before them, even more striking than when they’d seen her walking (gliding?) down the aisle during the ceremony. Out of all of them, she had really “glowed up,” according to Shelby. In high-school Aislynn had always been overweight, for as long as any of them had known her. She had constantly been insecure about it, bordering on letting it become a personality trait, and let it interfere with how she interacted with people. Especially boys. Now, though, she was much thinner, muscular, and astoundingly gorgeous. Money would do that for you, Maria guessed, eying her perky breasts.

            “My husband,” Aislynn beamed, motioning towards the man standing beside her. “Silas Borgoin.”

            Everyone shook hands, exchanging pleasantries, until even Silas sensed the awkwardness and excused himself, wandering off to another group.

            “Seems a little full of himself if you ask me,” Warren huffed.

            “Congrats, A!” Maria exclaimed a little too loudly, a little too slurred. Aislynn’s return smile was tight.

            “Listen, guys, I’m so glad you could all make it,” She held her hands out, clutching Caleb and Shelby’s hands. “It’s been so long. Really.”

            “It has been,” Warren, agreed, leaning forward on the table, his tie loosened around his neck and the top button of his shirt undone. “Glad to see you, A.” 

            “I was hoping tonight could lead to more memories together,” Aislynn smiled again. “What do you say we take Silas’ boat for a spin?”

            “What—now?” Shelby asked, confused. “We’re at your reception, A. Don’t you think you should stick around?”

            Aislynn waved her hand non-chalantly. “Silas is talking to his business partners about things I am most definitely not interested in. I told him I was so excited that you all were coming, and he suggested it, actually. Just a quick spin around the lake so we can spend some time together before we all go our separate ways again.”

            An awkward silence followed. Caleb finally broke the ice by saying, “we’ve all been drinking, do you really think that’s a good idea? It’s almost nine o’clock, it’s pitch black out there.”

            “Oh, Caleb,” Aislynn laughed, as if this were funny. “I know it’s hard to believe, not like me at all, but I’ve been boating for years now. All hours of the day. It’s honestly one of the most fun things I get to do, and I wanted to share it with all of you. I’ve missed you guys so much, and I wanted to share part of my new life with you.”

            Warren straightened up in his seat, “what kind of boat is it?”

            “Well, it’s actually more of a yacht. It’s an Azimut.”

            “Nice, Italian?”

            “Naturally,” Aislynn smirked. 

            “So someone else would be driving it then?” Caleb asked. Aislynn nodded her head in response, while Shelby wondered if it was really called boating if you were just riding on it, and then Maria enthusiastically declared that they would all love to go.

            Before they knew it, they were following Aislynn outside of the country club in her skin-tight white wedding dress down a darkened pier towards a large, white yacht floating in the water. The lights were on and 90’s R&B music playing softly from speakers somewhere onboard. Aislynn led them to the back of the boat, where they took their seats on the large, U-shaped cushioned couch. She popped open a bottle of champaign and handed everyone a flute. “To friends,” she toasted.

            “To friends.” They each took a drink and laughed as the boat took off, the wind in their hair and the warm breeze caressing their faces.

            Aislynn sat down and kicked her heels off, propping her perfectly manicured feet up on the cushion serving as a coffee table. 

            “I can’t believe you just left your own wedding reception,” Shelby laughed. 

            “They aren’t going to miss me,” Aislynn replied. The charisma she’d had as she approached their table had gone, and she was the awkward, sullen girl in their friend group again. Almost solemnly, she refilled everyone’s glasses and leaned back again, taking in the night sky above them. 

            “So, how’d you and Silas meet?” Maria asked, her words sounding more and more like one long word strung together. 

            “Online,” Aislynn replied, waving her hand. “Remember when you guys made that online dating profile for me?”

            Maria giggled loudly and asked, “Is that where?!”

“No, you twit,” Aislynn spat. Shelby and Warren gave each other a pointed look. Where was this going?

            “Like you said,” Caleb pointed out. “That was such a long time ago.”

            “It’s funny, though, isn’t it?” Aislynn replied, leaning forward. “How some things stick with us.”

            Maria laughed out loud this time, downing her second glass of champagne and filling her glass for a third time. “You look so good now, though, omigosh seriously I could never look like that after having four kids.”

            Aislynn turned her head to face Maria. “You couldn’t look like this even if you never had kids, Maria.”

             If Maria hadn’t been drunk, she would’ve noticed the awkward silence permeating the air around them, but she was and she didn’t. So, she laughed, even louder. “Got that right!” 

            “Aislynn, what’s that about? She was just—” Shelby started.

            “She was just nothing. Do you remember the dating profiles you made? The one you made for me and the fake one you made to respond to it? The guy claiming he loved me and thought I was beautiful?”

            The group looked at each other awkwardly. Of course, they remembered. It had been a joke. A bad one, yeah, but a joke. And they were teenagers. A lifetime ago at this point.

            “Nobody wants to admit to it?”

            “Are you upset?” Caleb asked. “We’re sorry if what we did hurt you enough that you are still thinking about it, but it’s your wedding night. Maybe we should get back.” Caleb stood as if he were moving to tell the captain to turn the boat around and in one swift motion Aislynn, with her wiry arms and unexpected strength, charged towards him, barreling into him, forcing him to fall over the edge. The smack echoed in the night air as his body hit the water below them. 

            Maria was suddenly stone cold sober and screaming. She joined Shelby at the side of the boat as they tried to look for Caleb, but there was nothing, just inky black water. Shelby reached for her phone and Aislynn slapped it out of her hand. It landed on the deck and as Shelby bent to pick it up, Aislynn stomped on her wrist, a sick crunching sound preceding a low groan of pain. Maria began yelling for help, someone had to hear them, someone in one of these rich-people’s houses bordering the lake, the captain, someone. Aislynn snatched the phone from Shelby and smacked Maria in the face with it, stunning her. While she tried to gain her wits about her, Aislynn walked towards her, backing her agains the side of the boat.

            “You always thought making fun of people was so fucking funny,” Aislynn spat. “Put pads in their locker! Throw tampons at them in the hallway! Well, it’s not,” Aislynn growled, her face inches from Maria’s. Shelby sat, cradling her shattered wrist, tears pouring down her face. 

            “Aislynn, stop,” Shelby pled, and Aislynn spun on her heels to face her.

            “Shut up! Shut up, shut up, shut up!” Shelby flinched and cowered against the floor, crying even harder.

            “Now look at you. Look who’s gained weight!” Aislynn’s attention was back on Maria. “Think if you had to join an online dating service anyone would pick you?” Aislynn shoved Maria backwards, hard, toppling her to the same fate as Caleb.

            Shelby let out an ear-piercing scream, looking frantically for Warren. Where was he? Had he fallen overboard himself? There was no sign of him.

            Aislynn approached Shelby languidly, mockingly, her long brown hair coming loose from her updo. “And Shelby. Pretty, smart, fucking Shelby. You didn’t care if anyone got made fun of. It was a good laugh, right?” Aislynn swung her foot back, kicking Shelby in the gut. “Are you laughing now?” Aislynn swung again and again, smiling at each “thunk” her foot made as it connected. 

            “I’m not going to be able to lift you over the side myself,” Aislynn taunted.

            “Fuck. You,” Shelby spat. Aislynn laughed in response.

            “Come on babe,” Aislynn called. “Let’s finish this.”

            Warren sauntered out of the captain’s quarters, a cigar in his mouth.

            “The last one,” Warren smiled, kissing Aislynn. Shelby glared at them in horror. What was happeneing? 

            “What. The fuck?” She heaved, certain her ribs were broken. 

            Warren bent forward and lifted Shelby in his arms as if he were carrying her across the threshold on their own wedding night. “You guys really sucked as friends,” he said, almost wistfully. “You only used me for my hacking skills on the school computers and you embarrassed the fuck out of A, here.” He propped Shelby up over the side, so that her feet were dangling above the water. She tried to wriggle and squirm away, and he took a step back, smiling as Shelby fell into the black water below. 

            He turned, expecting to finally peel Aislynn out of that hideous wedding dress and having his way with her on her fiancé, no husband’s, boat as they had talked about endlessly before this day. Instead, he came face to face with the barrel of a .45. 

            “What…are you doing?” He asked. 

            “You dumbass,” Aislynn chided. “Poor you, they asked you for advice on their computer problems, boohoo.” She waved the gun in his face. “You laughed with them,” she yelled. “When they came clean about making the fake profile to catfish me? You laughed! And then when I found you on Facebook and started messaging you, one of the first things you said to me was ‘you look so good, you lost so much weight!’”

            “I—but you do, you look amazing—”

            “I was fucking amazing then, too.”

            “Sure, you were! It was just a—” and before he could say ‘joke,’ Aislynn pulled the trigger, sending her last high school friend to the watery grave that awaited. She then called to the captain to take her back to her reception, satisfied that her high-school “friends” met the fate they deserved.

June 16, 2023 14:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.