The Burning Of The FireBird

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about activism.... view prompt

1 comment

General

The Orange King’s hall was busy and bustling as the crowd of people moved in. Reign and her best friend,Theo, made their way to the side of the hall. Being the children of royals had its perks especially when it came to being able to see the king and what he brings from far away. Reign and Theo sat in their seats toward the front of the hall as The Orange King stood up and silence spread around the room. 

“Quiet, quiet. Today I bring you a marvelous treat. It is a good day to be one of my royal subjects,” The Orange King clapped his hands. A guard came down the hall carrying a cage covered in red velvet. The guard placed it on a table in front of the King’s throne.

“I present to you, The Firebird,” The King shouted, ripping off the red covering.

The crowd held their breath as the bird was revealed. A beautiful fire colored bird sat on a bird perch in the cage.

Reign’s breath caught in her throat. She grabbed Theo’s hand and turned to him.

“Beautiful,” she breathed. Theo looked at their hands then at her and smiled. 

“Yes,” he whispered. 

“Isn’t he beautiful,” said The Orange King winking at the crowd.

The bird’s feathers sparkled like the tips of flames; red, orange, and yellow dancing in the sunlight from the tall windows. He had a long tail that poked out at the bottom of the cage. Long and ruby red. 

“And now,” boomed The Orange King’s voice, “he shall perform a trick.” The guard opened the cage and The Firebird flew out and around the hall above the crowd. The tips of the feathers igniting in flames. The crowd was applauding in amazement. 

“Wait,” Regin whispered, scrunching her eyebrows together. Theo peered at her.

“What,” he asked.

“I’ve read something about them in a book once,” she whispered to him. He looked at her with a small smile. 

Regin thought and thought about the passage she had read about them. It bothered her that she couldn’t remember the passage. What was it again? She thought. The Firebird came to settle back on a golden perch that replaced where the cage was. 

“Now! An even bigger trick! Dear Firebird! Combust into flames and light up the hall with your wondrous light,” exclaimed The Orange King. The Firebird looked at the king, but didn’t do it. Instead of igniting into a flame, as the king requested, it began to sing. The melody was pure and true. A tear rolled over Reign’s cheek, followed by more. Theo caught them as he touched her cheek. Reign took no notice of his touch. She was entranced by the song. 

The crowd was moved as women drabbed their eyes with handkerchiefs and the men’s eyes were glittering with tears. Even babies and small children were quiet and calm.

“NO!” screeched The Orange King. The crowd jumped from the sudden sharpness of the king’s voice. The King’s hand glittered with many rings in the sunlight slapped The Firebird to the ground. Reign jolted.

“No,” she shouted, moving to get up. Theo held her arm in place. She turned her head to look at him.

“Don’t,” Theo whispered.

“You dumb bird. How dare you defy The Orange King. You serve me!” The King spat. 

Laying on his side The Firebird moved to sit up right on the ground, but before he could move the king put his foot on the firebird’s neck. 

Reign ripped herself from Theo’s grip and moved to the aisle lending toward the king’s throne. 

“Stop!” Reign screamed moving toward The Orange King, “You’re hurting him! He can’t breathe! He can’t breathe! Stop it!”

The Firebird was shrieking, but it was strained by the pressure of the king’s foot. 

“Shut the girl up,” The Orange King yelled at his guards. 

Two huge guards grabbed Reign in the arms before she could get away from them. She struggled against them. The crowd was shocked and silent. No one moved. 

“Disobedient creature,” The Orange King growled. Reign wasn't sure if he was talking to her, the firebird, or maybe he was talking to both. He added pressure to the neck of the firebird. 

“Stop!” Reign screamed, “You’re killing him!” 

The Firebird’s cried one last time before The Orange King crushed the neck and The Firebird turned into ash. Reign let out a pained scream and the crowd gasped with her. Her struggling against the guards stopped as her knees buckled to the floor. She wept. Theo was at her side in a flash but another guard caught him. He struggled against him to get to Reign.The Orange King brushed off the end of his boot and turned to look at where Reign and Theo stood. 

“Quiet girl. Learn your place and hold your tongue,” The Orange King said making his way to her. The whole hall was still, hoping not to be the one who catches his eye, however his eyes were focused on Reign. When he finally stood in front of her, he signaled for the guards to bring her to her feet. He grabbed her red tear stained face and made her look at him. 

“Poor privileged girl, who doesn’t know where her place is. Why care so much for this bird when there are plenty out there? Plenty to capture and bring here to control. Disobedience will not be tolerated in my kingdom. Whatever I say goes. I am the most important person here. I will bring greatness. I will make this kingdom great,” The Orange King spat on her. Reign glared at him. 

A crackling began to sound behind the king, but he took no notice. His rage pounding in his ears.

 “Don’t talk to me about privilege, you good for nothing king,” Reign spat back. 

The Orange King slapped her in the face, leaving a hand mark and blood running from her busted lip. Regin heard her name called. Theo yelling her name. 

“Quiet boy. This is how you keep people below you in their place,” The Orange King spat in Theo’s direction. 

Reign heard the crackling again, getting louder and louder. She looked over at where The Firebird had once been. Then she remembered what she had read about the firebirds or as they are better known as The Pheonix. Hope sparked through her setting off a flame that grew throughout her entire body. 

“A little tiny girl who wants a voice. Look how loud you are,” the king said mockly to the crowd, covering his ears. Then he brought down his hands.

“You are nothing. Throw them in the dungeon for wasting my time,” The Orange King said. 

Just as the guards began to take her to the dungeon a huge explosion erupted from the front of the hall. The king quickly turned around. The crowd gasped and started screaming. The guards holding Theo and Regin dropped them and ran straight for the doors. People were running and trying to get out of the hall. A huge Pheonix rose in the air with flames as brilliant as the sun shining outside. The Orange King stricken with fear turned to Reign and tried to get past her, but she wouldn’t let him. She glared at The Orange King. Theo grabbed her arm to run, but she pulled back and made direct eye contact with the king.

“You should have known that out of the ashes of your hate and injustice would rise a Pheonix. Burning brighter than the sun, the Pheonix can not be ignored. You should have known that the brilliant flames would roar in your direction. Ready to light the way through your darkest valley. You can build the highest gates, wall, whatever you want, but material stuff like that can’t hold back the spirit of the Pheonix. You are no king. You are nothing. And your kingdom will burn and you with it,” Regin screamed and she pushed him back. The Orange King shrunk back in fear and disappeared in the smoke and flames. Regin turned, grabbed Theo’s hand and ran until they disappeared through the doors.

June 12, 2020 23:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Rodrigo Juatco
11:57 Jun 25, 2020

Interesting read. Fantasy with a moral twist. Thank you for sharing your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.