1898 at the Lighthouse - Horses Running Wild

Submitted into Contest #235 in response to: Start your story with one or two characters going for a run.... view prompt

0 comments

Historical Fiction Kids Teens & Young Adult


Flame, Blaze, and Shadow felt pulses of excitement and bolted across the dunes, hooves flying over the sandy hills. The wind sang in their ears and their hooves almost lifted them off into flight above earth.


"Let's run and run..... ," is what they might have said if horses could speak.


Grabbing mane, pulling on the reins, and yelling, "Whoa," the riders struggled to stay on the horses, who continued to sprint ahead with their eyes shining.


Running over the sand dune trail, the horses gave in to their hidden, primitive wild urges.


The riders bobbed erratically with the galloping rhythms, thrown back and forth when the horses weaved around the curving paths. Elsie used all of her twelve-year-old strength and agility to stay on the back of the fiery red chestnut horse while they flew across the ground.


She felt it was like Flame sprouted wings soared through the air. Her breath came hard and fast while the landscape hurtled by.


Flame felt it turned into a race, and his speed increased when the other horses got near.


"I can win this race," he seemed to be saying them.


"Hang on," she heard her brother, Edward, hollar, from the back of Blaze, the chestnut.


Erik, charging onward just behind her on the dark brown Shadow, yelled, "I'll try to make Flame turn so they circle and slow down."


***************


Earlier that day, Elsie saw rays of early morning sun streaming through the windows onto the patterned bedspread.


Getting up, she lifted the window open and felt a soft breeze that carried the fragrance of salty, Douglas fir-scented air. She gazed down at the waves and tidepools on the beach far below.


Elsie heard the gulls calling and the mourning doves cooing over the sound of the waves. The air felt crisp and refreshing on her bare arms.


From downstairs, the aroma of baking powder biscuits drifted up to her bedroom.


"Such a beautiful morning and now biscuits too," she thought.


A sense of wonder and anticipation filled her twelve-year-old heart.


The clear sky, golden sunlight, and gentle cadence of the waves promised an enticing day at the lighthouse station.


Elsie felt herself loving the dense rainforests, beaches, and the neighboring wildlife. So different from the ranch in Texas.


She heard her mother and father talking downstairs and she knew he had returned from working at the lighthouse.


"Good morning Elsie," said Jeanie, Elsie's mother, with a smile.


"Help yourself, honey." Dark hair parted in the center fanned out like wings and was pulled back into a bun. Jeanie wore a long, dark patterned dress with a full apron protecting it.


"Elsie, after you feed the horses, I need you to help me carry water from the cistern to soak the laundry."


"Yes, I will, Mother." Elsie took another bite of biscuit. "Mmmm."


"Then you can have some free time to play or go to the beach," Jeanie said to her daughter.


"Thank you, that will be wonderful." Elsie was already thinking about the day ahead.


Visions of the wild animals with whom she shared the wilderness danced through her mind, and the sounds of the coast were like songs.


**************

A mile away from the lighthouse, a regal elk turned her head, widened her eyes, and flicked her ears forward. She paused, turning sideways to the sea, testing the salty air and listening. She sensed a change.


"What is that? I smell something. Was that a movement in the bushes out there?" If she could speak those might be her words.


Pregnant with the promise of new life, her protective instincts were aroused.


Behind her, the rest of the herd responded to the signs of her alert stance. 


Hundreds of yards away, a few grey heads with pointed ears popped up from the brush and shrubs. Coyotes who often traveled alone had gathered.


She signaled to the other elk. Coyotes usually hunted smaller animals. But the herd of elk began to move away from the coyotes, toward the beach. 


***************


Outside the barn near the lighthouse keepers’ houses on the bluff, Shadow, Blaze, and Flame stood in their corral, hooves stamping impatiently while they waited for their morning feed.


"Hurry up, bring us our yummy breakfast," was what they would say if they could talk.


A quarter mile beyond them, up a wide dirt wagon trail, the 60-foot white lighthouse tower. The lighthouse lantern room at the top was dark now. With the rising of the morning sun, the lighthouse beacon in the tall tower was extinguished. 


At the corrals near the lighthouse keepers' houses, Shadow nipped playfully at Blaze, then ducked away. Flame rounded his back and gave a buck. They trotted around the corral with high steps. 


"We're feeling good about today," seemed to be what they would say if they could.


The horses made dashes up and down the corral, rounding their backs and bucking.


"Yippee," the horses seemed to say with their movements.


 The horses were tired of being cooped up in the corral and they were bored. 


Shadow, Blaze, and Flame instinctively thought in sensory thoughts and mental pictures.


Flame thought of it would feel good to stretch his limbs and fly across the ground.


Elsie carried the armfuls of hay over to the horse corral from inside the barn. In the rafters she could see the heads of the baby owls, soon to be leaving the nest. 


“How they have grown,” Elsie thought.  


She often saw the owl's parents flying into the barn to feed the owlets. 


Elsie saw the excited horses plunging up and down, nickering and telling her to hurry up.


“Ok, here’s breakfast,” she said to them.


She saw their shaggy winter coats ruffling in the breeze. In a few months, they would be sleek and glossy again.


Finishing her barn chores, Elsie let her 12-year-old mind dream of fun things she might do on such a lovely day. 


Elsie looked out at the beach far below. The blue waves stretched to the horizon under a clear, sunny sky.


Inside the lighthouse keepers’ Victorian houses, everyone opened the windows to let the fresh, salty breeze refresh the houses.


The air smelled fragrant with scents of Douglas firs and salty air.


Far below on the beach, the waves gently caressed the shore and made their soft music.


Inland from the beach was a garden nestled against a steep hill. Elsie knew today would be a good time to pick some of the winter vegetables and herbs. Her mother, Jeanie, could add them to the stew they were simmering today. The slow cooking filled the house with spicey aromas. 


“What a wonderful day,” thought Elsie. “So many good things.” She smiled to herself and her eyes sparkled. Her movements were light and relaxed. 


She passed a mirror and saw the dark-haired girl with long pigtails, a high-necked, long full skirted dress to the middle of her calf, practical boots, and a tan apron pinafore over the dress, protecting it. 


The three lighthouse keepers planned to do repairs and maintenance outside on the lighthouse tower and kerosine storage buildings. 


The morning sun saw their silhouettes emerge and walk together up the quarter mile to the gleaming white tower under its glass lantern and red roof. 


Outside the double keepers’ house, young Erik went down to the basement to chop wood for the Franklin wood-fired warming stove so his mother could set a stew on top of it to simmer all day.


“What a fine day,” he thought. Gazing at the beach he knew where he would go when he finished his chores.


The air felt crisp and refreshing. Erik wanted to be outdoors today.

Erik combed his shaggy rusty brown hair, smoothed his brown work pants, and put a vest on over his brown checked shirt. His steps were light despite the rugged work boots he wore.


He went out onto the veranda and saw Elsie standing outside on her porch too. Her puppy, Teddybear, was leaning against her knees, looking up at her, his dark hair making him look like a silhouette.


“Good Morning,” he waved.


“Yes, it is,” she said. “How are you today?”


“Feeling like Springtime. Would you like to go for a ride on the beach?” He looked out at the sea and saw the many shades of blue rolling in peacefully.


“I bet the horses would like that,” said Eslie. “I’ll meet you at the barn. Maybe Edward can come too so we can exercise three horses today.” She went inside to call her older brother, Edward.


A few minutes later all three walked to the corrals and began brushing the horses. Then they put on the bridles and saddles, tightened the cinches, and led the horses over to a large stone. 


Each one stepped up onto the stone, then slid one foot into the near stirrup and swung over the top of the horse, settling the other foot in the stirrup on the far side 


The experienced horses stood still and steady, accustomed to the routine. Elsie wore a full skirt that allowed her to ride with her legs on both sides of the horse instead of sidesaddle.


“I’ve got the saddlebags,” called Edward. “We can stop at the crops and pick vegetables and herbs for Mother.”


***************

Half a mile away in a volcanic cave that opened to the beach, sea lions rested inside an enormous shadowy cavern. The large mouth of the cave opened to the beach and rays of sunlight slanted into the cave partway. 


Guttural, raspy barking came from the cave. 


"Come on, let's go outside, sit in the sunshine, and play in the ocean," they might have said if they could speak.


Splashes sounded when sea lions leaped from their rocky perches into the water. Attracted by the warmth, more sea lions began to swim outside and lie down on the rocks to bask in the sun. 


A flat, rocky table outside the cave of volcanic basalt gave them a good place to lounge.


A quarter mile away the elk were now walking along the beach, heading toward the sea lions. Above the cave sand and dirt rested on the rocky base and created a trail. 


**********


Elsie, Erik and Edward relaxed, sitting slumped in their saddles, almost drowsy in the midmorning sun. Teddybear, Elsie’s growing puppy, trotted along next to her.


Erik’s herding dog, Stormy, roamed nearby, enjoying the day out.


The horses stretched their necks out and walked slowly, their riders swaying gently in a back-and-forth motion.


“I love it here,” said Elsie. “So different from the ranch outside Austin, Texas. But living by the ocean is wonderful.”


“Me too. I mean, I love it here too,” Erik smiled, admiring the picture Elsie made on the red chestnut horse she rode. Someday when she was a few years older….his thoughts began to wander. 


Elsie did not guess that the older boy had been captivated since the first time he saw her. He hid it well, but could not help trying to impress her sometimes.


“How about you, Edward?” Erik turned and heard Edward say, “Yep, me too.”


It felt like a lazy day to the three riders, so peaceful. Elsie thought about life in the coastal forest, so full of wildlife. Bears, cougars, bald eagles, herons, egrets – so many animals living in the thick forests, near the ocean, lakes, and rivers. 


She remembered the days when her family stayed in San Francisco, living downtown while her father worked at the waterfront. Elsie knew she was meant to live in the wilderness, surrounded by wildlife and nature.


**************


A quarter mile away in the brushy part of the sand dunes, the coyotes continued moving.


Downwind from them, the herds of female elk and male elk caught the scent of the coyotes on the wind. Senses were aroused and the elk became skittish.


At the volcanic rock cavern by the ocean, the sea lions were emerging in large numbers to play on the rocks and dive into the ocean.


Elsie, Erik, and Edward felt their horses wake up and dance around on the trail. 


They were on a hill crossing above the sea lions cavern and the smells and guttural barking from below upset the horses.


Beyond another hill the distant coyotes made some sudden moves chasing rabbits, leaping through the brush, and making rustling sounds. 


The nearby elk herds felt their energy explode and they jumped into a gallop. The sea lions barking happened to reach a crescendo.

Flame, Blaze, and Shadow felt this was all too much commotion. 


Their legs tensed, each horse shot upwards and forward, and the riders tried to hang on.


“Whoa,” shouted Elsie, grabbing a handful of mane. One foot slid out of the stirrup and she wrapped her legs tightly around Flame.


With wide eyes and head high, Blaze nearly unseated Edward when he gathered his hindquarters under him on bolted forward.


Erik’s horse, Shadow, surged forward with Erik using his hands to quickly take up the slack in the reins and try to get control.


All three horses took off, running wild, dodging and leaping over brush, logs, and shrubs. with the riders trying to stay on.


Over a hill ahead, the elk surged toward them, thundering over the ground, in full flight.


The riders got their running horses to turn off the trail and take off over the dunes, toward the beach.


Elsie’s pigtails flew out behind her and her skirts billowed out on both sides of Flame.


But the horses ignored the pull on their bits and charged onward. Teddybear and Stormy, the two dogs, ran with them.


The physical and psychological effects of unleashing their pent-up energy felt so invigorating and stimulating. 


Flame, Blaze, and Shadow wanted to keep running and running.


Seeing the wide path the horses had taken, the herd of elk flowed into it, galloping hard, closing the gap between them and the horses.


When the horses reached the hard, wet sand of the beach they splashed through tidepools with their tired riders still hanging on and yelling, “Whoa.”


Pulling hard on the reins, Erik was able to turn Shadow toward the wall of a low cliff and as they approached the horse began to slow. Flame and Blaze followed.


Behind them the elk herds streamed along the beach, running through the shallows of the waves breaking the sand.


Elsie, Edward, and Erik saw the cliff getting closer.


The horses slowed, panting and heaving, and trembling with fatigue, finally standing next to the wall of cliffs. Sweat poured off the shaggy winter coats of the horses and their nostrils flared while they breathed hard.


Teddybear, Elsie's growing puppy, and Stormy, Erik's herding-bred dog, rested on the sand, their chests heaving while they panted.


The riders watched with amazement while the elk surged by, seeing them begin to slow too. 


After the elk passed the riders saw the herd turn inland again and with speed beginning to sputter they disappeared out of sight.


Erik turned to see how Elsie was doing. He was surprised when she began laughing. 


This girl is no coward,” he thought.


“Well, that was something,” Elsie gasped, still trying to catch her breath. She felt exhilarated. Her senses were fully awake. 


Erik gazed at her, expecting to see a fearful, tearful face. Instead, he thought she almost looked as if she had enjoyed the excitement.


 “What an unusual girl. Not only smart but brave too.”


Edward saw Erik watching Elsie. “I wonder what is happening with those two,” he thought.


The moment passed and the riders leaned over, checking their horses for injuries, looking down at the horse's legs and feet. 


After resting for a while, the riders turned back toward home. The horses and their humans enjoyed the lingering feelings that surged in them. 


The slow times during the cloudy winter seemed far away. Now the sunny day and exciting time lifted them. The two dogs trotted alongside them, already rested and feeling sprightly.


As the three riders and their dogs headed home, the majestic female elk stood high on a hill, silhouetted against the sky, watching them from a distance. 


The sea lions continued their noisy barking and water play in the waves.


The coyotes trotted along next to the forest back to their usual grounds.


Like the giant clockwork gears that rotated the beam of the lighthouse beacon, the gears of the world kept turning. The sun followed its path across the sky.


That night, lying in her bed upstairs in the lighthouse keepers' house, Elsie looked out of her windows at the clear sky, the stars, and the moon shining on the sea. 


The rotating flash of the lighthouse beacon swept across the ocean, and miles from shore a ship navigator noted the pattern of flashes and charted their location.


Elsie sighed, her eyes closed. In a while she was dreaming of gallops across the dunes, walks on the moonlit beaches, and explorations on the wilderness trails.   

January 30, 2024 18:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.