6 comments

Drama Teens & Young Adult

They say that this world is a big stage and we all are the performer here. I also agree with it but want to add one more thing, that each scene is a one take act.

Sometimes when we look into our past memories, we find many moments where we acted so immaturely out of confusion and that resulted in humiliation. One such situation I remember was my first day of my college attending the first class there. It was such an embarrassing moment but thank God it was not dragged on further. I was in fear about so many things at a time altogether that made me more confused. Now when I recall that incident from past memories, I feel weird. But the relaxing part of that was I met my all-time best friend from that day onwards, who was not only caring but was also adorable.

When I entered the college gate, the nightmare again started haunting me and I felt everybody was staring at me as if I was the weak lamb about to slaughter by a group of wolves in the middle of the dense forest.

“Oh God! Where have I landed up?” I asked one fellow in my slow and fearful voice, “Where is the first year orientation class going to take place?” He replied, “You are already late by 5 minutes. Please go to that side and be fast as the professor is very strict about punctuality.” 

“What happened to me, I have never been late to school and now how come I am late here? It’s all because of the traffic with which I am not yet accustomed. Oh, God! Please save me from humiliation.” I prayed in my mind. I somehow rushed to the classroom and asked the professor’s permission to enter the class. My Professor noticed me and asked me to take my seat without saying anything further. I looked around the classroom; it was a huge classroom with benches on stairs. I found an empty place in the front row and took my seat there. I knew that my nervousness was visible on my face. I was trying to concentrate on what the professor was telling the whole class but my thoughts were disturbing me. I put my hands on the desk and I observed a hand fall upon my right arm. He placed his palm upon my palm and said gently, “Hey! I know you. You are Samar right!” My jaw dropped down and was speechless for few seconds. “How could he know my name? I am a totally new student here, not only in college but also in the city.” He continued, “My father and your father are colleagues in the same office and uncle told my father about you. So don’t worry.” “Could he read the minds of people? How could he knows what was worrying me.” Yes, my mind was disturbed from the past few days with the thought of ragging that I might have to face in the college, being a weak and shy boy. I looked into his eyes straight now and forgot about anything else. His eyes were so bright and confident yet peaceful. I am getting dragged by his eyes. His face was so calm that I myself felt comforted by looking at his face. What is this going on my mind? “I am getting into him more and more? Is this what everybody called ‘Love’? But how could be one boy fall in love another boy? How could this be possible?”

The class just started. It was the introductory class for the first year students of B.Sc. Pure Science. Luckily, the professor was a little late today, because of an urgent meeting with the Principal, as he told the students. Generally he was very punctual and strict about that. So he exempted the first year students by 5 minutes for being late and at the same time warned us not to repeat the same. Just as five minutes were over, a boy came into the class. He was trembling at the door, nervous and breathing heavily. He asked for permission to enter the class. The Professor looked at him from head to toe and then told him to take his seat. He was thin, short, and fair skinned boy, dressed in white full shirt and olive green trouser, his hair was neither very short nor long that looked combed properly but now a bit messy. He hardly looked eighteen years of age. He looked around the hall and walked to the first row where one girl and one boy were sitting and there was one empty seat to the left of the boy. Though he sat down but he still seemed to be nervous and confused. He was taking his notebook out from his bag and putting it on the desk.

           The Professor got busy with his introductory lecture and rules and regulations the students needed to follow here in the college for the next three years. All the students were listening to the professor quietly. There were little whispers going on here and there in the classroom in between. Suddenly the professor stopped in the middle and called the two boys, one who just entered few minutes ago, in front of his table near the black board. They got up and quietly moved towards the professor. On reaching near him, the professor said, “I am very strict person in this college, and you can ask anybody about it. No one dares to look into my eyes even; talking in my class is something imaginary. You know why? Because I kill the cat on the first night,”

Both of them were pale faced and still. All the other students were a dead meat. The taller one among the two boys tried to say sorry, the professor refused to listen to them and continues, “I don’t seek anyone’s explanation nor ask for apologies. Those are ridiculous and only a waste of time. I rather choose direct action.” The thin boy was almost in tears and was about to cry or faint may be as his legs were trembling and he was not in a position to speak. After a long pause, the professor continues, “As it is your first class and first mistake, I am leaving you with a lighter punishment.” He then took one wooden scale and gave that to one of the boy and said, “Now both of you will hold this scale by your mouth at two different edges and sit at your place for the remaining period and mind you, the scale should not be dropped down from any one of your mouths.”

July 31, 2021 05:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Sapna Mangla
11:55 Aug 08, 2021

Nice one, really nostalgic.. It made me travel to my first day at college, though mine is a different experience but the nervousness, I guess is same with all.

Reply

Spondon Ganguli
19:09 Aug 08, 2021

Thank you ma'am for sparing some time for my short story. It's completely fiction as nothing happened with me as such. Yes, nervousness was there and that is in a huge form I must admit.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sanjay Kapur
09:19 Aug 08, 2021

A story about most new students' first day at college, nicely detailing the fears and uncertainties, and which many will readily identify with.

Reply

Spondon Ganguli
19:08 Aug 08, 2021

Thank you Sanjay ji. You read my story and liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sathya M
15:20 Aug 07, 2021

Very good and impressive short story.

Reply

Spondon Ganguli
19:10 Aug 08, 2021

Thank you, Sir.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.