Dreams Of Another World

Submitted into Contest #113 in response to: Write about a character whose dreams are portals to other worlds.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

What are dreams? What do they mean? Can dreams really take us to another world? Are dreams just part of our imagination? For Lucy, her dreams are nothing but real.

I've been having the same recurring dream night after night after night. I don't know what it means. I've tried everything to get to the bottom of my dream. I've talk to literally everyone and they all told me the same thing, it's just a dream.

I know it's not my imagination. There is something happening with my dreams. I just don't know what it is. Interpreting dreams is not something I know how to do.

Here is an example of my dream.

I'm running in the woods. I don't know if I'm running from something or to something. I don't hear any voices or hear any footsteps behind me. As I'm running, I see a door. I run to the door. First the door is small, as I continue to run to the door, it gets larger and larger until the door is as big as me.

I attempt to open the door. The door is stuck. I turn back around, then all of a sudden, the door opens. I wake up and that's the end of my dream.

When I tell my dream to friends and family, they always ask me the same question. Why don't you finish the dream to see what happens?

I tell them I'm afraid of what's at the end of the door. I'm afraid I might find something sinister if I finish the dream,.

I might not have another choice, but to finish the dream. How do I do that without waking up when I get to the door?

I hate this. I hate not knowing. I am a person who likes to know everything that is happening around me. This dream has got me tied up in knots.

I'm heading to the mountains, where I feel at peace, where I can think more clearly and relax, hopefully being at the mountains can help me think about my dream and maybe finish it.

The mountains are beautiful and peaceful. Now time for me to get to the bottom of my dream. Let see the details of my dream.

First, I am running in the woods. I look behind me I see nobody chasing me. I don't know why I'm running.

Second, I see a door. I run towards the door, it's a small door then as I get closer, I see the door getting larger and larger.

Third, I attempt to open the door, but the door is stuck. I turn around and all of a sudden, the door opens, then I wake up.

I don't understand this. Why would I be running in the woods? Why would I see a door in the middle of the woods? maybe everybody is right when they say I need to finish my dream.

I guess I'm going to finish the dream. I grab some pillows from the couch, lay them on the floor, and I grab a blanket. I laid down on the floor. I close my eyes, and count back from 10.

9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1, oh my god! I'm in my dream world. I look around. I'm not running this time. I see the large door.

Here I go. I open the door, this time I did't wake up. I walk right in. How weird is this? Now everything is dark. Don't be afraid Lucy. It's just a dream.

I'm walking and walking and walking until I see lights. I walk to the lights.

There is another door. What is with these doors? I open the door and walk in.

Oh my god! what is this place? I can't believe what I'm seeing. This is all too much for me. I shut my eyes hoping I wake up, no dice.

This is my dream. I'm in dream world. What am I seeing?

I'm seeing a total different world. How is this even possible? This world seems just like earth.

I turn around to walk out, but the door is not there. Where did the door go?

I'm twirling and twirling and twirling like an idiot to see if the door magically comes back. I look behind me and a crowd has formed behind me. I am acting like a crazy person in my dream. Stop acting crazy Lucy and walk, just walk away and don't draw attention to yourself.

So, I'm walking to where I don't know. Me being here has to mean something right. This dream has to mean something.

Let me look around this world. I see trees, plants, a blue sky, buildings, some animals, even insects, these are normal things I see back home, but with one difference, they are all colorful, then there are these weird people or should I say creatures.

That's right creatures, they look like lizards, and I don't even like lizards, these lizard creatures are not like the rest of the things I've seen, they are not colorful, just one color, green. The good thing is they don't seem to pay me any attention.

I keep walking until I come upon real looking humans, they look just like me. One of them is coming up to me.

The lady introduces herself as Zena, she welcomes me to Solaris.

Solaris, why does that name sound familiar? I swear I've seen Zena too, but I can't put my finger on it.

Zena tells me to follow her. I ask her where she is taking me? she doesn't answer me.

I look around Solaris, it is so beautiful, the way the buildings are built, they are built at an angle, the trees, flowers, animals and insects are all colorful, even the people are colorful, then there are the lizard creatures, that one I can't explain and I won't even try.

Zena takes me to an old building that looks nothing like the colorful buildings I saw.

I ask Zena "what are we doing here?"

Zena guides me inside. The inside of the building looks better, but there is not much to tell.

Zena tells me to go with her, so I do. She guides me to a stairwell that leads to a basement. When we get to the basement, she directs me to a door that says Dream Center.

What is this place?

Zena tells me I created the Dream Center. I look at her stunned. She explains to me In my dreams I create portals to other worlds and in these words I create dream centers where my dreams are seen through out these worlds.

Zena also explains to me that I can create portals in other peoples dreams and do exactly the same as in my dreams.

My dreams are like movies that allow others to experience my life and the life of others. I look around the dream center not believing anything I'm seeing.

I ask Zena "Why am I running scared in my dreams?"

Zena tells me its because I'm scared of what I am.

"What am I?" I ask her.

Zena tells me I am a dream weaver. She shows me a little bit of what I can do.

Wow this is incredible. I never knew this about myself.

Zena shows me the way out.

I wake up back on the mountains. I see my mother looking at me.

"Now you now the secret. Congratulations my daughter the new dream weaver."

I simple smile at my mother and go back to sleep.

September 30, 2021 21:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.