0 comments

African American Urban Fantasy

Ayo’mide’s bronzed feet beat the dusty ground in rhythm with the thundering sky above. Her arms, tree limbs blowing in the wind, with the windchimes of her bangles creating a jingle with the day’s melody. She continued her praise dance despite the large droplets that began to fall. It was Lumish, the day the two moons and the sun finally met in the sky, thinning the veil between worlds. Ayo’mide held her breath as the two Moons ended their game and waited for her favorite part. The rain outlined the silhouettes of her Mama and Oma as the moon of the east, Gotu began to darken Lwam, the moon of the north, and the memories of her Oma telling her the story of why Lumish happened but once every 10 years began to dance through her mind.  

“Lwam and Gotu were best friends who did everything together. They grew up in a small village off the Ewuja river. The children were always seen together, laughing, and playing their favorite game, hide-and-seek.” Oma would say brushing young Ayo’mide’s hair. “All day long they would play and the spirit of the Sun, Suli, noticed. She took on a human form, one of a child, to join the two. She played their favorite games, and danced and how she loved dancing.” Ayo’mide could still hear the smile in Oma’s voice. “The trio played until it was time for Lwam and Gotu to return home. Suli grew sad at the thought of being alone in the sky again, so she told them the truth and asked them to come back with her. Lwam jumped at the idea of being in the sky, but Gotu wanted to go home with his Mama. Lwam told Gotu that it would only be for a fortnight, and she would be back before he knew it. She grabbed Suli’s warm hand and was lifted into the sky. And that’s how we got our first moon, Lwam. Suli told Lwam to count to five and then to try to catch her, and that’s how we got our first day and night. Suli and Lwam are in a perpetual game of catch! That’s why they’re never in the sky together except for when Lwam finally catches Suli!” Oma would always laugh at that part, and Ayo’mide found herself chuckling at the memory. “But after five long years, Gotu couldn’t be without his friend, so he called to Suli and Lwam and begged them to bring him to the sky with them. Day and night he called until Lwam came during one night when the moon was big in the sky and brought Gotu back with her. That was our first Lwog, the Moons Embrace. After two nights, Lwam and Gotu began their game of hide-and-seek with Gotu joining in on the game of catch. Until five years later, they came together for Lumish. First Lwam and Gotu finish their game of hide-and-seek then, they catch Suli, dropping the veil between this world and the next.”  

“It's when we see Mama!” young Ayo’mide would always interject. 

“Yes, dear, it’s where we see Mama, and Poppi, and all the others we have lost. “But Oma, why does the veil drop?” Ayo’mide would ask. 

“Because their love and friendship is so powerful, it shatters all barriers between loved ones, allowing us all to be with the ones we love.” Oma would always tell her.  

Ayo’mide began to laugh as the silhouettes began to take form under the playful moons, getting stronger the closer Lwam and Gotu got to ending their game, getting closer to catching Suli. The storm raged on as Ayo’mide danced, matching the beat of the thunderous sky. Suli remained hidden behind a cloud while the pair finally found one another again. They moved across the sky, a slow rumba to their third friend, the closer they got, the closer Ayo’mide was to seeing her Oma and Mama again. The rain poured on giving their ghostly forms even more substance. Rain dripped off Ayo’mide’s long, black locs as she jovially danced with her Mama as the moons worked their magic. Soon, her Oma was joining in, her curly fro becoming more corporeal with each passing moment. Ayo’mide sent praises to the sky as she saw her Mama’s beautiful face again. Her Mama’s brown eyes, a dam on the brink of destruction as she sees a grownup Ayo’mide with a swollen belly.  

“Mama, I need you. I can’t do this without you! Without Oma!” Ayo’mide dropped to her knees, holding her belly. “I need you!” she cried as lightning crashed above. “I’m scared.” her shoulders shook with heavy sobs as Lwam and Gotu finally caught Suli. 

“Dear, we are always with you.” Her Oma said. 

“My darling, you will be a wonderful Mama and I will be with you every step of the way.” Her Mama lifted Ayo’mide’s face, helping her off the ground. She jumped into her mother’s arms and sobbed as her Oma wrapped her arms around her daughter and granddaughter.  

“Please don’t leave me again, please don’t leave me alone!”  

“I know you can’t see us, but we are always with you when you need us.” Her mother stroked her hair as the rain began to ease.  

“I just miss you so much.” Ayo’mide inhaled her Mama’s scent, trying to hold on to the smell of roses, tea and cardamon. “We don’t have much time and I’m not going to waste it crying. There’s someone I want you to meet.” Ayo’mide wiped her face and led her Mama and Oma toward the village.  

“Does this person have something to do with me becoming an Oma?” her Mama asked chuckling as they walked.  

“Mama! Well, yes actually. He’s my husband. Ade’Olumi.”  

“Ah my dear, I know, I was there when you married him. I walked you down the aisle with your Papa. You just couldn’t see me.” As hard as Ayo’mide tried, she could not stop the flow of tears. She felt the hands of her Mama stroke her back as they continued to walk to the village, each step closing the bridge between her past and present.  

“Hurry Oma, we only have moments before the game in sky begins again and the veil rises.” Ayo’mide grabbed Oma’s arm, pulling her along as the trio on the ground raced against the trio in the sky. She saw the smoke rising from the village as they pushed through the trees, just feet from her dear Ade’Olumi. She called for him, her voice an octave higher than usual, hoping he was close enough to meet them.  

“Praises!” Ayo’mide whispered as Ade’Olumi came running from the right side, meeting her as Lwam started her journey for the perfect hiding spot. “It’s starting! Ade, this is my Mama and Oma.” 

“Pleased to finally meet you.” Ade said to the slowly fading women. “Next time I will be with them so we can all spend the entire Lumish together.” 

“I would like that” Mama said weakly. 

“As would I.” Oma said with barely a whisper. Ayo’mide felt her Oma’s arm slip from hers as she became less corporeal the further Lwam and Gotu got away from Suli until they were no more than a ghostly silhouette.  

“Thank You, for the time we did have together. Next time there will be a not so little one with us.” Ayo’mide placed her hand on her belly and watched a silvery tear roll from her Mama’s ghostly eye before she disappeared for the next ten years.  

April 13, 2024 03:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.