7 comments

Christmas Holiday Happy

When it was the day before December Jaymie went to her hometown in Cooktown in cairns to spend Christmas with her family and when she arrived, she was greeted by her family and friends from when she used to live there, and she was so excited to be back that she basically screamed down the whole airport terminal and she then went with her family to her old house where she had so many good memories from her old life and she misses it and when her mother sees her and she suddenly says “you should stay here and live with us” and Jaymie thought about it and she thought about it when she went to bed and in the morning she knew the answer “mum I want to stay here with you and everyone” Jaymie said and everyone cheered. Three weeks before Christmas Jaymie went to the shops and got some ingredients to make her favourite dinner shipwreck casserole and the whole family loved it and asked her to make more and when it was two weeks before Christmas, she went to a tree nursery and bought a tree for the house and when she struggled to put the tree on her car she met a guy that helped her and she felt like she knew him and when she got home she went onto Facebook and tried to find him and she did and when she showed her family they said that she used to know him and then she remembered him as “chubby Charles” she used to like him a bit and when her family told her she remembered all the good times in school and she then tried to find him again but she didn’t find him so she waited until she found him in a café that she was in at the same time so she wanted to spy on him a bit to see if it really was him but then he saw her and remembered her from the tree nursery and walked over to her and she got startled and hit her head on the bottom of the table and said that she dropped her phone and he apparently knew what she was doing “I’m sorry but I didn’t get your name last time we met” and so they properly introduced themselves and had lunch together and then they walked home and they said they would meet again some day and they did on the walk home from the shops they saw each other in the winery and bought their wine and talked over coffee and then they walked each other home which was easy because they were basically neighbors so they walked to each other’s doors and said goodbye and went in through the doors to their homes and they were both happy and when Charles got out his old school photo book he saw that Jaymie was from his old classes and then he realizes that he hadn’t gotten her number so he went to her house and got her number and then called her the next day and told her that he recognized her from school without telling her that he only recognized her from the school book and so they went to the park and talked and before Jaymie knew it they were kissing and the kids who were there put a mistletoe over their heads and they just laughed and moved away from the park and then they talked and had lunch down at Cooktown café where they had fish and chips and Jaymie had a salad on the side of hers and then they went down to the beach where they went for a little swim and Charles went for a small fishing trip and he thought he would get dragged into the water by a strong fish but he didn’t and for that he was grateful because  he didn’t want to be dragged into the ocean by a fish in front of Jaymie because then he will be embarrassed in front of someone he used to know and who is much older and prettier now than in school when they were children and he thinks maybe that he loved her but he just wasn’t sure and he didn’t want to say it to her because he thought that she didn’t feel the same way that he did even if he didn’t know how to know for sure so he sent a note in a childish writing so she didn’t know it was him but she did know it was him anyway and it was basically useless to do it in a childish way but she loved the gesture and answered and sent it back and Charles felt so good to have received the note back saying “yes” and all he wanted to do was go over and ask if she had gotten a note and play dumb even though she already knew that he had given her the note but didn’t want to tell him because then he would probably feel embarrassed so she didn’t tell him and the next morning they had a breakfast at the café and talked about the note and all about since Jaymie got back and about the kiss and all that and she said “I wish I could stay here permanently but the company needs me no matter what they always need me to steer them in the right direction because they always gets distracted no matter what so I have to fly back every few days or so and I can’t quit because I am the boss and I have no one to cover for me because all of them are idiots and have no clue how to run a company let alone a bunch of the workers who have no clue what to do when I am away and that is why I want to quit but I can’t” and Charles said “you can do what you want anytime, anywhere so you can quit if you want I’m sure they’ll find someone to replace your role and you can stay here with us” and with that Jaymie called her company and told the CEO to find someone else because she was resigning and she lived in cairns permanently now and she would live with her family and Charles in cairns and then she got into a relationship with Charles and her family and friends apparently knew that they would get together someday and they just laughed and then they had a proper date and they wanted to go to an amusement park and then they went home and had dinner and went to bed and the next day they fell asleep in the middle of the day on Christmas and they had a happily ever after and they all loved each other very much and they had a very nice Christmas and a very nice new year.

The end!

December 22, 2023 14:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Ethan Zimmerman
20:35 Jan 10, 2024

Hi Katie-lea. I actually enjoyed your story quite a lot. I am a fan of stream-of-consciousness writing. The only problem for me with this kind of story is that it doesn't give the reader a whole lot of time to breathe. Long stories that run the way SOC stories do are one of the things I love about them. But, as writers, we need to be conscious of not killing our readers by not allowing them to take a pause with their breath. My own personal opinion is that SOC should feel a little bit like I might drown in the words, not that I am actually g...

Reply

Katie-lea Crane
04:07 Feb 05, 2024

thanks Ethan i really appreciate it and thanks for liking my book i finished when there was a few minutes or hours left so i had to hurry while i was writing and i was under quite a bit of pressure so thanks again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
20:39 Feb 12, 2024

Katie-lea, Your story has so much in it, it could be a novel. Most readers expect punctuation and paragraphs to help navigate the text. If you mean to write stream of consciousness style as Ethan, below, suggests. I cannot help you much. Most people write in past tense. You mix it up a bit between past and present, which can be confusing. Adding dialogue helps to develop the characters and injects emotions into what otherwise is frantic and kind of bland. I could go on, but that should suffice for now. I look forward to reading more of yo...

Reply

Katie-lea Crane
01:02 Feb 26, 2024

thank you john

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darya Silman
17:57 Dec 23, 2023

I got lost in a text without punctuation marks and no paragraphs. You can use online editors like Grammarly (there is a free version of it) that really helps with editing...

Reply

Katie-lea Crane
04:08 Feb 05, 2024

how do you get FREE Grammarly cause i have tried and i can't do it

Reply

John K Adams
20:34 Feb 12, 2024

I prefer the Hemingway editing tool. Small print in Grammarly states they can take ownership of your writing at will.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.