1 comment

Fantasy

A Girl Called Allison

You will know about castles. Hundreds of years ago many people in Britain lived in castles. The walls were thick and the gates strong so that enemies and thieves could not get in. Most of the time some people went out to work in the fields during the day or herd sheep and cattle when it was safe. At night and on some days the gates were shut and people went about their business inside.

Men who were Knights and boys practiced with lance, sword, and archery. They practiced fighting because they needed to know how to protect themselves and the castle. While this was happening in the courtyard the women and girls sat on a balcony. They knitted or sewed and watched the men and boys. The girls had to learn to make their own clothes from whatever material they could find left over from work by older women. None of them went to school. There wasn’t one in those days.

There was a girl named Allison. She had lots of energy and was very curious, but she was supposed to sit still and sew. She and two other girls had persuaded the Priest to teach them to read and write. One day she crept off to explore because there were places in the castle that ordinary people and girls were not supposed to go. The castle was owned by Lord and Lady Partret and seemed very big. Allison wanted to find out more. She had passed a dark passageway and wondered where it went. Perhaps it went to one of the towers. She had never been to one.

Allison went to the entrance of the passageway. There were no lamps or candles, but she decided to go in. It became dark very quickly. She had to reach out on either side and touch the walls as it became completely dark. She hesitated because she had heard stories of traps in passageways but thought, surely not in our castle, and pressed on. Every now and again she waved her hand above her head to make sure that the roof was high enough for her.

The passage seemed to be longer than Allison expected. She became quite worried and was thinking about turning back when she banged up against a door. It was a very solid wooden door with a large iron ring handle which took all her strength to turn. Very carefully she pushed.

She walked into a bright room filled with many strange things. There didn’t seem to be anyone there. Shelves held more books than she thought could be in the whole world. There was a long device she thought might be for looking through and another with peculiar bits sticking out. There were flasks filled with different colored liquids and boards with dead insects pinned to them. On one stand was a little golden bird in a cage.

Allison crept about in wonder and found herself behind a high-backed armchair. She moved around that and had a big surprise. An old lady was sitting in the chair doing embroidery on a frame. Allison had never seen this lady before in the castle. She was grey haired and well dressed with her hair done up in a crocheted bonnet. She had a gentle face and deep blue eyes.

The old lady said, “So, you are here at last.”

Allison was surprised. “I hadn’t planned to come.”

“Probably not,” the lady said, “Have a look at my embroidery.

Allison looked. It was almost finished, a beautiful picture of a garden. There were flowers and bushes around a lovely lawn. The colors were quite realistic, and Allison stared at the picture and fell into it.

She found herself sitting on the grass. It was very comfortable. There were wonderful flowers. She stood up and walked around. She had not seen flowers like this before, they were amazing, every color possible, including black, which astonished her. Even the bushes and trees had flowers. She became aware of a buzz of insects and the music of bird calls. She had never experienced anything so beautiful in her life.

Then she found a gap between some bushes, and a path. “I wonder where that goes?” she said to herself and walked between the bushes. Suddenly she was in a wild forest with big trees and animal noises, and she was about to shrink back when she saw a door. She knew she had stepped out of the ordinary world already, but she wasn’t prepared for the door. The door was in the trunk of a big tree, just like in a fairy tale. It was normal-sized. There was a black iron knocker, so she knocked. She wouldn’t have been surprised if a wild witch answered the door, but it was a girl her own age, who said, “Are you the one who can read and write?”

Allison stammered, “Well, yes.”

“Come in, then. We have been waiting for you, The lady said that she would send someone.”

Allison went in. The girl said, “My name is Harriet,” and introduced her to her mother and father, Mr. and Mrs. Fowler, and her older brother Brynt. “We have been waiting for because we received a letter.” Allison wasn’t surprised because not many people in those days could read or write and they didn’t get letters.

“Then show me,” Allison said.

They produced an envelope. Allison opened it. “This is an invitation. It says,

The Lord Morgan and Lady Morgan

Invite Mr. and Mrs. Fowler and Family to a Party

To Celebrate Spring on Thursday at 4.00 pm.

“Help!” said Mrs. Fowler. “It is nearly that now, and anyway, we can’t go to a party with the Lord Morgan. We are just ordinary people, and we don’t have proper clothing.”

Allison waved the invitation. “He must know that, but you are still invited. Why not go and enjoy yourselves? I will write a reply and Brynt can run and deliver it.” She immediately had them find a pen and a piece of paper, and wrote,

Mr. and Mrs. Fowler and Family

have much pleasure in accepting

your kind invitation to the Party.

folded it and gave it to Brynt. “Take this as fast as you can.”

Mrs. Fowler was flustered. “We will have to put on our very best clothes right now. Allison, you must come with us. We need your support.”

Allison waved the hem of her worn castle smock. “No. I cannot go visiting in these old clothes.”

Harriet said, “I have a second dress. We are the same size. You can wear that. It will look good on you.”

So, it was settled, and they dressed for the party. Harriet found Allison a beautiful dress with red and green panels, and a glistening beaded necklace. Allison was pleased when she looked in a mirror.

When they arrived, they found that The Lord and his Lady were greeting people at the door. All went well until Allison reached The Lord Morgan. He jumped back and shouted, ‘Guard!” and Allison was surrounded by four men with spears.

The Master said, “You are not one of us. You are from the Other World. What are you doing here?”

Allison was shaking with fright, but Mr. Fowler spoke up. “That old lady sent her because she can read and write, to help us come to the party.”

The Master relaxed. “Goodness, an Other World girl who can read and write. How very extraordinary. You must be one of the chosen ones. We welcome you, then, and hope that you enjoy the Party.”

Allison did. It was a very merry time, and everyone danced and had lots to eat. It was nearly midnight when they returned home to the tree. Allison had almost forgotten where she came from but realized then. “It’s very late. I don’t know how I will get back to the castle.”

Harriet said, “Oh, there must be a way. The old lady will look after it. Sit and relax for a moment.”

Allison was half-asleep and collapsed onto a couch. Closed her eyes and immediately found herself sitting beside the old lady in the castle room.

The old lady said, “I hope you enjoyed your trip. You should go back to the women, now. You can take the candle on the table. When you reach the entrance to the passage, blow it out and put it on the ground. Someone else will look after it.

Allison was too surprised to say anything. She picked up the candle by the holder and went through the big door, pulling it closed behind her.

It was almost as strange as walking in complete darkness. The candle shed light on the nearby walls and floor, but nothing any further than a few yards in front of her. While she walked her mind was completely full of what had happened to her, or was it all a dream? She was no longer sure of what had happened.

After a while she saw daylight and soon came to the entrance to the passage. She blew out the candle and put the holder on the floor. Then she made her way up to the gallery where the women and girls were gathered.

Allison’s mother caught sight of her and screamed. “What’s that dress? Have you been stealing? And a necklace. What have you done?”

Allison looked down. She was still wearing the red and green dress that Harriet had loaned her, and the necklace. It had all been real. She was shocked. Other women and girls began to gather around her, and she was frightened.

Everyone stopped because there was a tremendous clang from the courtyard. People rushed to see what had caused it. Two knights in full armor had been jousting and both had come off their horses.

“Wow,” one of the women said, “They’ll be sore, landing on the ground in those heavy suits of armor. I wonder who they are?” Women jostled to see the Pages running up because they dressed in the badges and colors of their Knights.

Then there was a more frightening interruption. They heard the heavy thumps on the stone pavement as guards banged their spears to the ground as they marched. Into the gallery came six big guards followed by The Lady Partret and two ladies-in-waiting.

Lady Partret noticed Allison immediately and beckoned her. “It’s a pleasure to see a girl properly dressed,“ she said, and then, “Aren’t you one of the girls who can read and write?” She looked long and hard at Allison. She reached out and fingered the necklace. “That’s a necklace from the Other World, isn’t it, so you’ve been there?”

Allison said, “Yes, my Lady.”

“Then you are the girl I choose. Your experience and skills will be very useful in the future. I am going on a journey, and you will accompany me.” She leaned over and whispered in Allison’s ear.

Allison shrank back in shock. “We are going to visit what …..?”

February 20, 2024 23:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Patricia Casey
03:06 Feb 25, 2024

Hi David, You had a good buildup to your finale and the writing prompt requirement. This would make a good children's story, perhaps a picture book. Patricia

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.