0 comments

Drama Inspirational Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

There was a single piece of paper in front of Helen. It wasn't even half-filled. She looked up at the administrator and asked, “That's it?”


“That's it.”


“I was ready to read two hundred pages, so I’m a bit surprised to see just a couple of simple phrases already known to everyone.”


“Mrs. Howard, it's only a game, but the stakes are high. The value is obvious, and you're either willing to play or you're not.”


The room was filled with doubt. The administrator proceeded, “I can leave you alone for a moment. I have no right to persuade or dissuade you. You must decide for yourself.”


Helen sighed. “No need, let's sign it.”


“Alright. Let’s just go over the important points one more time.”


The administrator switched on the recorder. “First, your assignments will be chosen randomly and they cannot be changed. Second, you cannot quit the game—removing the microchip system can impair up to 85% of your physiological and cognitive processes. If you stop the game without removing the microchips, you can move on with your normal life, but your children will be banned from Wild Card Ltd. Finally, the number of points will be calculated based on data received from the microchips, and only when you reach the specified number, you get the right for a second life. Do you agree to the terms and conditions?”


“Yes.”


“Please sign here.”


The administrator took the recorder. “Client NN789 has signed the contract. The microchips are active. Turning on the randomizer.”


She clicked the mouse a few times and pressed Enter.


The computer buzzed. For a few seconds, while it crackled and chirped, Helen didn't breathe. She was thinking about a chance to set up her life using a personal instruction manual and also start a new life after death.


The computer went silent.


“The results are in. You need to earn 4,300,000 points.”


Helen felt her heart and gut falling into a thick blackness, and a drop of clammy cold sweat ran down her spine.


“That's so many... No one I know has ever got a task for more than two million.”


“Don't worry, Mrs. Howard. You have quite a few serious assignments that will bring a lot of points.”


The administrator held out the printed sheet; it was still warm. Helen tried to focus. So, staying married for at least fifteen more years, giving birth to the third child, moving to the City, working for a subsidiary of Wild Card Ltd with a mandatory rise to a branch director, getting a PhD, attending charity meetings, volunteering...


“I am not encouraged to give a personal opinion,” said the administrator, “but I’d like to calm you down. I think your list is quite realistic even though it will definitely take many years to tick all the boxes. And you've been assigned a job at Wild Card Ltd, not everyone gets that kind of luck. After all, you need to earn money to pay for the rest...”


“I'm afraid with all this spending I'll have to find a side hustle anyway.”


“Well, that’s up to you, Mrs. Howard.”


The administrator printed the third document. “Here is a list of people from your quarterly support group and the schedule. I strongly recommend never skipping these sessions.” Her phone rang. “Mrs. Howard, I’m terribly sorry but it’s a very important call. Your microchips are now active, and you can start earning points right away. Again, I’m not encouraged to say this, but for some reason, I like you, so I wish you good luck.”


“Thank you.”


Helen put the papers in her bag and left the office. People on the street took photos of cherry blossoms, but she almost ran and couldn’t notice either flowers or the gentle scent of spring. There was only one thought in her head: “I am a warrior and I can do it, but I must start as soon as possible.”




It was raining. Helen just came home and went to the kitchen to put a kettle on without even taking off her jacket.


“Hello,” she heard from the living room.


“Hi, sunshine.”


“You know, it would be nice to see my wife at least at nine on Fridays.”


“Ryan…”


The house was silent. The kids were asleep.


“Angela is turning five in a few months. It’s time to choose a school already. I told you it would be way more difficult than it was with Jason and Isabella, here in the City we don’t have that much time to decide.”


Helen leaned her hands on the table and closed her eyes. Then turned to Ryan. He was so beautiful even though his face got more wrinkles during the last few years, and gray hair popped up here and there.


“Hells?”


“Yes, sorry, I heard what you said. I’m just a bit tired. We’ll look through the options tomorrow, deal?”


Ryan nodded. He took off the glasses and sat at the table, rubbing his eyes. Then he looked at Helen gently but with a deep sadness.


“I know I promised to never ask…”


“Ryan…”


“Why don’t you stop? No, no, listen to me, this whole thing exhausts you. You gave up on drama classes, you don’t have time for your kids. I love Angela but remember it was you who started talking about the third child because of the game, and she needs her mother. And, you know, I need you too.”


A chill ran down her spine as she saw his eyes begin to fill with tears.


“You know I’m going pretty fast. I have almost two million already, most people earn this three times slower. I’ll complete the whole list in like twelve more years, and that will be it. I am…”


“A warrior, I know. But sometimes I think I don’t know you anymore. It’s just a game but you take it so seriously. You know, you can stop anytime! The kids won’t try it—let it be! I actually hope they never try it because I see how much pain it brings. And don’t even know how long I myself can bear with all that pain.”


Helen took her breath, her heart was pounding.


“You can’t leave me.”


Ryan stood up quickly.


“You know, I can! It’s not me playing a ridiculous Wild Card game with set marriage periods, I can do whatever I want. So I definitely can, but I will not because I love you!”


“I’m forever grateful. It’s just… After all I’ve been through, I deserve that second chance, I need it.”


“Well… Hells, that’s what bothers me most. I truly love you but it breaks my heart to see how year after year you are dreaming about the next life while I am here with you in this one.”


“It’s not about you.”


“I know.”


He put on glasses. “I’ll check on the kids. And I’ll wait for you.”


“I’ll be there.”


She gazed at the timetable on the fridge. “It’s my group session tomorrow.”


He just sighed and went upstairs.




“Helen, honey, is it true your youngest is graduating next week?”


“Yes, Mrs. Williams, that’s true.”


“I can’t believe time goes so fast!”


“Well, it definitely does, Mrs. Williams.”


The administrator came in and sat down. Nine other people looked at each other. One chair was still empty.


“Where is George?” Helen asked. “He’s never been late.”


“I’m sorry to tell you all, but George will not come anymore. His depression progressed, and he took his own life.”


Everyone was silent. Daniel started fidgeting like he was doubting whether he wanted to say something or not. “Was… Was it because of, you know… the game?”


“As far as I know from his microchips’ reports, it was one of the many reasons, Daniel.”


“Oh, I knew it, I knew… His wife died a few weeks ago. He realized he would never earn all the points because of that. His job in the factory brought too few points. All the extra activities were too simple. And the gap in his career was too big to get back to his previous normal life.”


“I’ll send you all the invites to counseling sessions,” the administrator said. “But I am not qualified to discuss that with you. Let’s proceed with our general agenda.”


“Well, at least he spent his Wild Card period with someone he loved,” said Matthew. “You remember I had to divorce my beloved wife because she couldn’t have kids? I needed them because of the list, where adoption was not an option. I’ll earn all the points very soon but I guess I’ll just sit still and wait for death because there is nothing actually making me happy here anymore.”


“There is also great news today!” The administrator acted like she already forgotten about the group’s loss. “Mrs. Howard has earned all her points! Congratulations!”


Although the mist of loss was still there, everyone became a bit more cheerful. A thought in Helen’s head was “I bet they are more envious than happy for me…. But this doesn’t matter, I’ve done it.”


The meeting was over in an hour, and Helen decided to take a taxi. She wanted to see Ryan as soon as possible and tell him this amazing news.


Once she entered the house, she felt extreme pain in her left arm and heart. She only managed to whisper “Call the emergency” and fell unconscious.




She suddenly saw a light. She was in a well-lit room with an administrator. “Mrs. Howard, I’d like to inform you that this happens only in your mind due to the microchip system. In real life, you have a heart attack and doctors won’t be able to do anything. Your brain will be alive for about fifteen more minutes.”


“Good thing I made it and earned all the points! When will I be born again?”


“Helen… May I call you Helen? In fact, you were playing a beta version of the game. We don’t have the functionality yet that would allow us to offer extra lives. We’ll save all the data from your microchips and we’ll make sure you’ll be born whenever it becomes possible.”


“But… When can it happen!?”


“I honestly don’t know.”


“Oh, I wish I could go there and tell everyone…”


“Do you think no one guesses? Haven't you ever suspected it yourself?” The administrator looked through Helen’s file. “I’m surprised you actually never did.”


The light narrowed to a point and went out.


April 19, 2024 15:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.