0 comments

Fiction

Faylin brushed aside his dark unruly hair as a gust of sea filled wind threatened to knock him over. He looked over as the first mate shouted over the chaos flooded deck, taking the captain by his shoulder as he repeated his question. “What are your orders Captain?” But the captain stood, frozen with fear as he watched the black and red sails descend upon his ship. 

“I’ve done my duty” The Captain mumbled over and over, praying to whatever gods hadn’t abandon him. Briggs staggered back in disbelief from the man he once respected, seeing him as nothing more than a coward. Boards creaked as heavy cannons emerged from the enemy’s ship, manned by unseen foes. Faylin watched as the color drained from Brigg’s sea hardened face as he took his place behind the Captain. The name of the enemy ship becoming clear, Bloodtooth.

Smalls bumps rippled through Faylin’s skin as a figure emerged from below deck. His face hidden deep within his hood. Everything went impossibly quiet as he threw his hands up. Long pale fingers ripped through the sky, as an unnatural mist curled around the ships, plunging them into complete darkness.

Sailors whimpered as the cold spread through their bones. Ice crept over the handrails and over the mast, soon even the sails succumbed to the mist as they froze in place. An unearthly cackle echoed through the ship, seemingly coming from every direction. Ghostly pale faces appeared in the darkness as the two ships collided with a horrific crunch. Then the sound of hundreds of flapping wings thundered through the mist as the faces vanished. 

Taking a deep breath Faylin drew his sword and pistol from his belt. Frantically ducking as bats raged through the mist, clawing and biting anything that moved. Screeches and screams saturated the air as sailors choked on their own blood. Pale faces now dripped with red as their fangs lashed out. Bodies and swords dropped to the deck as each man fought for their lives.

Cold hands wrapped around Faylin’s throat, yanking him off his feet. The vampire licked his lips, smearing the blood coating his face. Faylin kicked against the iron grip as the edge of his vision began to fade. Glossy white fangs emerged as the vampires mouth widened into a blood thirsty smile. Just as the tip of the fang grazed Faylin’s neck, the vampire pulled back, his face a mess of rage and confusion as he looked down at the wooden stake sticking through his chest. 

“About damn time” Faylin wheezed, as he collasped in a heap on the deck rubbing his bruised neck. With a grunt the big man threw the vampire off the stake and into a watery grave. He chuckled as he reached out a hand to help Faylin up. 

“Seemed like you two were just getting to know each other, hated to interrupt” He threw Faylin a sharpened stake and nodded. 

“Gods you two get a room” a third voice said as he casually stabbed a vampire. “Now if you are finished, Faylin take Morgan and sneak aboard Bloodtooth, once you’re on board, kill the captain, we will draw his attention over here” Two more men armed with stakes, torches and crosses appeared through the mist, taking their place by their leaders side. “Hunters” Theron said looking us in the eyes “our hunt ends today,” he lit his torch, the fire blazing in his eyes “Let’s go kill some blood suckers” 

 Armed with a torch and stake Faylin roared across the deck. Burned bats blazed through the sky, hissing as they plummeted into the salty water. Fire spread as vampires ran blindly through the chaos, pushing aside friend and enemy alike in a desperate attempt to stop the inferno. Sailors cheered as they found their courage, swinging their swords and spears driving the vampires back. 

“Catch!” Morgan yelled, as he threw a rope to Faylin. Vampires slashed and clawed as the two men swung from their ship landing with a solid thud. Dozens of faces appeared on the deck surrounding the hunters as they stood back to back. Fangs flashed through the darkness snapping madly at the fresh blood that so foolishly came into their ship. Faylin and Morgan turned brandishing their torches, their only shield among the blood thirsty horde. 

“Hmm hunters” The figure in black hissed, lacing his long manicured fingers behind his back. “Only hunters would be so foolish to board my ship, unprepared, out matched” He pulled the hood back, running his hands through long slick hair “and ready to die.” With inhuman speed Captain Stragore covered the distance. 

Morgan’s head jerked back violently as his face slammed into the mast. Vampires inched forward eager to taste the blood that had been spilt, but stopped short as Stragore held up his hands. “I can taste your fear, hunter” The vampire whispered seemingly from everywhere. Ghostly hands wrapped around Faylin’s torch, extinguishing the last of the light leaving him in total darkness. 

With numb finger Faylin grabbed the chain around his neck and held the cross out into the black. Flesh sizzled as vampires drew closer, hissing as they retreated. Faylin pushed forward until his back was against the mast, pulling Morgan to his feet. “About damn time” Morgan groaned “Any ideas?”

“Just one, it’s a bad one, but it’s all I got” Faylin handed Morgan the warm torch “Light it and get ready to run” Morgan grabbed the torch and gave Faylin a quizzical look, then shook his head and got to work. “Hurry” Faylin yelled, as he felt the vampires growing bolder. Morgan groaned as he continued to strike the rocks together. The air around them vibrated as hundreds of wings closed in. The battle on the other ship grew quiet as all the vampires came back to their captain. 

Morgan yelled as the torched sparked to life. “Now what?” He said shoving the fire into a vampires chest. In a blur Faylin snatched the torch and threw it. Morgan watched as it flipped end over end disappearing into the mist. “That was your plan?” He yelled, narrowling avoiding being eviscerated. The flame stopped in mid air, then slowly rolled down as if being carried. Fire exploded high above the deck as the black sails turned to a bright orange. 

Burning embers polluted the sky as another sail caught fire. Faylin turned to Morgan and gave a half grin, “Told you I had a plan” Both men ran for the railing, jumping as a beam crashed down behind them. Wind whipped past them as they leapt for freedom. But just as they made it over the edge of the ship an iron strong grip wrapped around Faylin’s ankle pulling him back into the inferno. 

“Not so fast hunter”  Captain Stragore slurred, half his face and chest burned to ash. Faylin gasped as he was slammed painfully into the deck. “You’ve destroyed my ship and half my crew” He said throwing Faylin against the wall. “Now I will kill you and all your little hunter friends” Faylin winced as he was pinned against the wall, feet dangling. Captain Stragore’s one remaining fang shown through his melted face, hungry, looking for vengeance.

Splinters peppered Faylins face as cannon balls ripped through the hull. The ship rocked dangerously to one side and the interior began to flood. Captain Stragore turned as another beam collapsed in a shower of sparks. Muttering one last prayer, Faylin drove his fist into the charred ribs of Captain Stragore, digging deep into his flesh until he found his heart. Flames burst from his chest as the cross became lodged in his cold heart. 

Faylin dropped to the ground, gasping for breath. With unsteady feet he ran for the railing and jumped just as the Bloodtooth exploded. Cold water filled his lungs as he plunged deeper and deeper into the unforgiving sea. His throat burned as he clawed his way to the surface. 

Shivering from the cold Faylin watched as they sailed away from the carnage. The remaining vampires burned away to dust as the mist began to fade. Dark plumes of smoke filled the sky as the Bloodtooth sank into the abyss. Morgan stood next to Faylin and laughed “It’s about damn time” They both said as they set sail for the one place they hadn’t been in a very long time. Home.

March 09, 2024 04:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.