15 comments

Fantasy

Gabby double checked the address in her phone as her small Toyota climbed over rocks and roots down Orchard Road. After confirming she was indeed going in the right direction, she squinted at what appeared to be a massive, ivy covered, red brick building in the distance. The morning sun was cutting through just enough autumn fog to allow her to see it must have been built ages ago. The brick was crumbling, the ivy stretching, the windows coated with dusty memories. 

She had received an email giving her a heads-up that a very worthwhile estate sale was taking place Saturday morning. She often received announcements from realtors, and was on several lists to be notified when local sales would be taking place. 

Gabby had a keen eye for antiques, and the ones she didn’t hang on to, she sold for top dollar. It wasn’t so much the money she was interested in, but in being able to earn enough to keep investing in more treasures. 

Every old vase held memories of flowers long gone, perhaps given by a doting husband, or an enamored lover. An antique sewing machine hummed its stories of a struggling mother, making clothing for her children in the late night hours after a full days work. Depression glasses were filled with the tears of hungry children, opening the boxes of Quaker Oats to find the free glassware placed inside as an incentive to buy their products. So many stories, so much history. It was the people Gabby had in her heart, their lives and what they had to say.  And she wanted to know all of them, all their stories. 

She slowly pulled closer to the once majestic home. It surely was a sight when it was cared for and maintained. Now, the grass was overgrown, the flower beds filled with weeds, and the shrubberies threatened to overtake the entrance. 

Gabby pulled all the way up in the long driveway adjacent to the house. She must be the first to arrive, she thought to herself. Which was just how she liked it. Gabby was not a haggler, or one to try to outbid another interested party at estate sales. It just wasn’t her nature. She had the mindset that if it was meant to be, it was meant to be. If she was the one meant to take home a piece, then she would. 

She closed her car door, and began to approach the front door, an old wooden one with cracked paint and splinters spiking out, daring one to knock. 

From the corner of her eye, Gabby thought she saw someone move past a second story window. Likely the person in charge of the sale. 

Gabby lifted her hand to knock on the worn door, but it seemed to open before she could make contact. Just as well, she thought, she probably would have ended up with wood in her knuckles. 

“Hello? Anyone here?” 

Gabby slowly took a step inside, and tried to adjust her gaze to the dimly lit rooms. She looked to her right for a light switch, just as a voice echoed down from the long stairwell in the foyer. 

“Good morning, Gabby. Thank you for coming today. I knew you’d be interested in this sale,” the voice called out. 

Slowly, a figure descended the stairs, almost appearing to float downwards. 

“Oh, hello! I received an email about the estate sale today. It seems I’m the first to arrive,” Gabby replied to her host. She extended her hand in greeting, and the old woman accepted it with a wrinkled smile. 

“The first, and only. I’m Genevieve. I’m taking care of my sister’s estate now that she’s passed. Helen has a house full of very special, very unique things. Why don’t we look around.” 

“I’m so sorry for your loss, thank you for having me here today.” 

“No, thank you for coming. Let’s get started,” Genevieve said and began to make her way into the parlor. 

Gabby followed, and gazed upon a room filled with paintings, china, handmade blankets and quilts, and…something caught her attention on an end table. 

Gabby walked toward the table, and glanced back at Genevieve. 

“May I?” she asked, gesturing to the table. 

“Please do.”

Gabby picked up an ebony box, crafted of wood, with ornate patterns carved into it. Despite its age, it was far from faded. 

“African Blackwood. Open it,” Genevieve instructed, as she soundlessly appeared at Gabby’s side. 

Gabby opened the Black Box, and inside found a mirror on the inside of the lid. The interior of the box was lined with black velvet. She ran her fingers over the smooth material, seamlessly attached. 

“This is gorgeous. Such a treasure…is it part of the sale?” Gabby hopefully asked. 

“Yes. I was hoping you’d like this piece. It was very special to Helen. I believe you will find it special, as well.” 

“How much are you asking for it?”

“Not a thing. Only the promise that you keep it, and use it as Helen had. That will become clear soon,” Genevieve said, closing the Black Box in Gabby’s hands. 

“Are you…sure about this? I really don’t mind paying you what it’s worth,” Gabby said, taken aback by the thought of having the Black Box for free.

“It is as Helen would want it. Please, on your way out, stop in the garden where her memorial stone is placed.” 

“I most certainly will do that. Thank you so much, Genevieve.” 

Gabby left the house, Black Box in her hands, and saw the memorial Genevieve had told her about. She stopped to read the words written in the stone. “Our Beloved Helen” was clearly visible. But then, something underneath appeared to be written backwards. 

“How strange. I wonder what that says…” Gabby whispered, as she traced her fingers over the cold stone. Then she realized something. 

“Wait! Maybe if I…” 

Gabby opened the Black Box, and used the mirror to read the cryptic writing. She saw in the mirror, “Our last secrets, secret no more.” 

What could that mean? 

As Gabby furrowed her brow in thought at this message, she heard something coming from the box. 

Quickly, she looked inside. Rather than the mirrored message, she now saw a face. It was the face of a woman who had a striking resemblance to Genevieve. Could this be, Helen?

“You’ve discovered the secret of the Black Box, Gabby. It’s a very special box indeed. It reveals the last thoughts, the last words, our loved ones wanted to share right before they left the world. To use the box, simply allow the mirror to reflect their picture. They will appear, as I am now, and reveal the last thoughts they have for their loved ones. This box will help with healing after a loved one passes on, and Genevieve and I knew you were the one to have it. She will be gone soon too, and will join me. It’s now up to you to help others,” Helen said. 

“But, why me? Why did you choose me?” Gabby asked, not knowing if she was experiencing reality or a dream of some kind. 

“We’ve known you since you were a child. The mirror has let us see your life, just as you will see the life of the one who should inherit the Black Box next,” Helen gently said. 

“How will I know who needs my help? Who needs closure?”

“The mirror will show you that too. Once you see who is in the mirror, you will find them and ask for their loved one’s picture. Only you will be able to hear their last words. Then you must tell their loved ones,” Helen told her. 

“But what if they don’t believe me? What if they think I’m crazy?”

“Trust me, they won’t. This will be what they need, how they can move on. And they will only be thankful to you for giving them that gift. And now, take the Black Box and trust in yourself. Goodbye, Gabby.”

And with that, the box closed. 

Gabby sat staring at the box in her hands. Did that really just happen? She stood up, and tried to collect her thoughts. 

As she went back to her car, she saw a white light start to slip from the carving in the front of the box. Gabby opened the box, and saw an image in the mirror. It was not someone she recognized. Then, as if someone were writing on it, she saw the name “Charlie Gardener” appear below the image. 

This must be the first person she needs to find. Gabby closed the box. She started her car, and set out with her new responsibility. One that she felt honored to now possess. 

Gabby paused on Orchard Road, typed “Charlie Gardener” into her phone, and found an address. Placing her hand atop the Black Box, she drove to the main road. 

It was time. 

November 22, 2023 17:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

Michał Przywara
21:38 Nov 24, 2023

An interesting premise! Though the story just touches on it - this feels like a beginning, with lots of places it could go. Gabby buys into the whole thing quite easily. I wonder if she has prior experience with the supernatural? On the other hand, if the mirror has been tracking her throughout her life, then perhaps it just knew she'd be willing to take on the work readily. I like the name, too. Much like finding the black box after an airplane disaster can inform us and bring closure, so can this black box on a more personal scale, aft...

Reply

Nina H
22:43 Nov 24, 2023

That was exactly why I made the box black and kept referring to it as “the Black Box”! You got it!! A person’s last thoughts, like the last things recorded on a black box. Now, tell me the honest-to-reedsy truth here: do you think it works ending there or should I add the visit at the end? You can be blunt.

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:28 Nov 24, 2023

As-is, the end is quite open, and it really does feel like the start of something bigger. Seeing Gabby do a job - particularly her first one, which would probably include a fair bit of struggle and adapting - would definitely be interesting. However, I'm not sure how feasible it would be to add it here, because “the first job” sounds like a chapter in its own right (plus, the word count thing.) There's nothing wrong with an open end, of course, and as it stands, this story is about Gabby acquiring the mirror and learning about what's expec...

Reply

Nina H
23:41 Nov 24, 2023

Definitely a whole casserole of thought to put in the oven! Thanks so much for that feedback. You have some great points. And I think I’ll let those ideas simmer a bit before I do anything. As long as it doesn’t seem to just fall off a cliff here at the end, which was my worry. Here, take these emojis in thanks for your insight. 😸🕺🦊🫎🐢🦖🪼🦥 I appreciate you!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Karen McDermott
15:59 Nov 25, 2023

Such a cliffhanger! 👏

Reply

Nina H
19:19 Nov 26, 2023

Thanks for reading, Karen!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
04:19 Dec 02, 2023

I see this story as a beginning of a series of adventures, Gabby connecting with people who have a last mystery to solve before they pass, or a romance unfulfilled- I look forward to the next chapter!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Honey Perez
15:59 Nov 28, 2023

This was such a cool idea! Would love to read more about Gabby’s journey with the black box.

Reply

Nina H
19:06 Nov 28, 2023

Thanks for reading!! I’d love to extend her journey with it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
17:08 Nov 25, 2023

I love this idea, Nina! What a beautiful way to transform this prompt. A blessed box to help people in the worst moments of their lives - losing a loved one. What great power and responsibility Gabby has now! Glad she is embracing it. My favorite part of this whole story was Gabby's reason for loving antiques - the way she imagines the history behind each piece. I wrote a poem about seaglass once, ruminating on the pirates that must have broken glass at sea and now it is our modern beach treasures. I love that you (and your characters) thin...

Reply

Nina H
18:16 Nov 25, 2023

Thanks for the sweet comments, AnneMarie! And you figured me out. I’m a sucker for antiques and imagining the stories behind them. I’d love to read that poem you wrote! That’s such a dreamy idea! I love looking at pictures for estate sales, and seeing all the treasures. A friend collects depression glass, and I could just imagine the stories in those.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
18:19 Nov 25, 2023

I have never even heard of depression glass!! I'm so intrigued!!

Reply

Nina H
18:24 Nov 25, 2023

Look it up, I think you’d be interested in it! I hadn’t heard of it until my friend showed me his collection of it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:00 Nov 22, 2023

Interesting responsibility passed on to Gabby. Sounds like could be a series as she fulfills the missions. Thanks for liking my 'Hang it on the Moon'.

Reply

Nina H
21:03 Nov 22, 2023

I was thinking of expanding this into the people she meets, but because of word count I ended it there. I do have some ideas pinging around though! Thanks for reading, Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.