Wedding Bells

Submitted into Contest #241 in response to: Start your story with an unexpected betrayal.... view prompt

8 comments

Contemporary Fiction Romance

“I see your order information,” said the woman on the phone. “Not to worry, the two bridesmaid dresses were successfully returned this morning. The wedding dress is still on its way and should arrive by the end of the week. We’ll give you a call when it gets here.”

My head tilted slightly; did I miss something? Why were my sisters’ dresses returned? It made no sense.

“I’m sorry,” I said, trying desperately to come off as unconcerned by the earthshattering update she had just given me. “To confirm, you said the dresses were returned today?”

“Yes, we called your bridesmaids yesterday evening to let them know the dresses had arrived and this morning the two young ladies came in and let us know they would no longer be needing them. We were able to do a refund for them, no problem.”

I was stunned. I could feel my heart drop to my stomach. I knew my wedding was hard on my family given our dysfunctional dynamic, but I had not expected something like this to happen. 

“Is there something else I can help with today?” the woman asked cheerfully. 

“No,” I said quickly. “Thank you so much for the update. I look forward to getting my dress soon. Thank you.”

I hung up the call and sat frozen at my dining room table where my wedding plans lay sprawled out before me – vendor business cards, bride magazines, spreadsheets on my laptop, sample fabrics, and of course my cute little coiled planner book specially purchased to document every moment of my happy journey to the altar. Except this news didn’t feel very good. 

Ever since my parents’ divorce, my life had been constantly surrounded by family drama. It snuffed the life out of everything. As the eldest daughter, I often found myself stepping into the mothering role to subsidize my sisters’ needs whenever I could, even though I was only a few years older than them myself. It was mostly a one-way relationship with them and over time they had developed the expectation that my purpose was to serve and protect them all the while I was left out to fend for myself. 

I didn’t mind, most of the time, I loved my sisters and was happy to provide for them some of the comfort and support I so desperately craved. But as a result, it was mostly a lonely life growing up, which is why when Art, my fiancé, stepped into my life and later proposed I was ecstatic. 

Finally, I had someone in my life who saw and loved me for who I was rather than what I could do for them. When Art placed that ring around my finger and asked me to marry him, I felt the healing and transformational power of love wash over me like magic. We had already been living together for some time, but I had the feeling that my life was going to change, I was going to change. 

Art and his marriage proposal made me want to be better, to discard that tired persona of good and obedient daughter in favor of my strong and authentic self. I knew he valued me, admired the person I was and believed in who I could become. His honest love helped me believe in myself too. Sometimes you need someone in your corner to fully bloom into yourself and live up to your God-given potential.

I had thought my sisters were in my corner too. Thought they were happy for me, glad to part of my wedding but this news about their returned dresses was very concerning. Had I been naïve to believe they would support me during this important time of my life? 

I didn’t want to run to Art with this issue just yet, I felt ashamed and wanted to find out what was going on with them first. A bad feeling sat in the pit of my stomach as I texted them both in a group message.

To: Meli, Emily

Did you return the bridesmaid dresses? 

Why didn’t you tell me? What’s going on?

I waited. My heart beating hard. No answer.

Art, who had been playing video games in our bedroom, came out to check on my progress. He knew I was calling the dress shop for an update.

“What did they say?” he asked. “Any good news?”

It had been 20 minutes since I had texted my sisters and even though the message indicated it had been read, I still didn’t have a response from them. 

“Is everything ok?” he asked noticing my worried expression.

I started to cry.

*** 

Days later they still hadn’t replied. 

“No, they never answered my message, never called me back, nothing,” I told my dad over a tearful call. “They just ghosted me.”

“But what happened?” my dad asked. “Why did they return their dresses?”

“I have no idea,” I said. “I keep trying to figure it out, but nothing makes sense.”

“Maybe your mother put them up to this, you know she hates that you still talk to me.”

“I don’t know, that’d be pretty low even for her.”

“I haven’t talked to either of them,” dad said. “So, I don’t know what’s going on with them. I mean, you know how it is with me; ever since the divorce your sisters hardly speak to me.”

“I know dad. Things are always difficult with our family but truthfully, I don’t want you to get involved. I know your relationship with my sisters is hard enough as it is, I wouldn’t want this to make things worse between you and them.”

Even though I had no answers from them, I suspected the real reason my sisters had betrayed me was because they were jealous. Jealous they weren’t the stars of the event, that all eyes wouldn’t be on them for the night. Jealous that they didn’t have serious boyfriends of their own, a relationship with a partner where they were taken seriously. Jealous that I, who had been like a mother to them, wouldn’t be at their beck and call anymore.

I was sad for them, for what they had done, for what they would miss. Sad for me, for the deep wound of sisterly betrayal, for the permanent scar their actions would leave on my heart. I cried for days. It was a hard truth to face, to know that I couldn’t count on my sisters to be there for me on one of the most important days of my life, to know that they couldn’t be happy for me. 

Finally, my wedding day came and when I slipped into my dress in full hair and makeup, my transformation was complete. I had been right to believe that Art’s marriage proposal was going to change my life, that this event was going to help me become a stronger and more authentic self. I saw it on my face in the mirror and felt it in my beating heart. 

I knew what really mattered on this day and all the ones to come. Life wasn’t about all the people who hadn’t been there or all the things you didn’t have. It was about counting your blessings in spite of it all and rejoicing in the present with the ones you love.

The moment arrived, the time to walk down the aisle. I stood confidently with my arm around my father’s arm, the coordinator fluffing the dress around my feet. 

“Ready?” she asked.

I nodded and the doors leading to the wedding bower swung open. I saw all the happy faces of friends and family looking back at me with Art waiting at the end of the aisle that was lined with blue candle cacti and pink bougainvillea pedals sprinkled along the way. The harpist began to play the “Wedding March” and I commenced the procession toward Art. 

I knew life was full of ups and downs with surprises around every corner and I was thankful to have Art in my life, a man I could go through it all with. He was the man I loved and was happy to be marrying. I knew it was going to be a good life together. 

March 12, 2024 22:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Brian Haddad
04:15 Mar 23, 2024

I like that there's no dramatic resolution to the issue with the sisters. Honestly, as many other readers have pointed out, you've beautifully understated a powerful lesson about what really matters. The story concludes with the most important details and leaves the gossip and drama to poke and fester with those who are wont to needlessly obsess over such things. Well done.

Reply

Angelica Sophia
18:27 Mar 26, 2024

Thank you Brian, appreciate your thoughts and feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
LeeAnn Hively
21:27 Mar 20, 2024

The moment I went No Contact with my brother and sister right along with my mother was the day my healing could truly begin. So I think it was a blessing in disguise that the moment she began her new life, the only ones in it were the ones who would bring happiness, not the ones who would leech. I consider it a victory even if it didn't really feel like one in the initial moments. Let's just rest assured that the MC is about to have a fantastic life.

Reply

Angelica Sophia
22:55 Mar 20, 2024

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts and experiences! Yes, let's rest assured the MC is living her best life!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:53 Mar 15, 2024

Nice story, I liked how you opened with the mystery of why her sister's dresses were returned which added a lot of tension. You took us through the family dynamics which feel very real! the petty jealousies are so much like that. I think after the marriage, when her sisters see her happy, they will get back in touch and apologize I hope.

Reply

Angelica Sophia
17:45 Mar 18, 2024

I love your positive outlook for the main character's future. It can be hard to both live with family and without them so I suspect you are right in thinking there could very well be a sister reconciliation. Thanks for reading this story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:09 Mar 13, 2024

I always heard that you can not make someone like or love you, and I suppose it's true for the protagonist. At least, she has the people who are truly there for her at the wedding. Lovely job !

Reply

Angelica Sophia
17:06 Mar 13, 2024

Hi Stella, I think you're right not everyone is going to love you and also sometimes it's the ones closes to you that can hurt you the most, usually because you love them so much. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on this story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.