47 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary Fiction

  H I H I H I

              H E L L O

H E L L O. HELLO. TEST TEST Test t e s t .

                 Hello. Thiss is a test.

                                           A b c d e f g h I j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z z z z z z z z

Hel l o my name is zIGGY.

Ziggy P Banks.

This feels strannnnggee strange

I have never had to wite before.

IT is slow.

              BUT

              NICE


****


Today is Wednesday


I asked gamgam what this was and she said it was called a tipewiter

                             tipewriter

                             Tipe writer / Type writer

                             A writer you type on


. . . I t looks like a computer people would have used when we lived in caves


She said people used it in the olden times before the millennium


It is now 124 years after that so this is very old and gamgam old me to be careful


It os Old like gamgam, she is 120 so far. I am only 6.666666667 % of that.

              I NOW know how to write and read

                            But

              IAM SLOW


No one uses writers

We never write any more

You just speak and the words come through the computer

You don’t even need to read, the computer will read it for you


              I liked learning words, but you lose what you don’t use


****


IT IS NOW Monday. The second Monday of summer.

                                                           I am alone.

                                                           That is a lie, I have gamgam and Sirius in the computer

                                                           BUT they HAVE to HELP me

I have no one who WANTS to help


Mummy and daddy and SArah have gone on holiday. I wasn’t allowed to go because I don’t do well in the sun. They said.


Sarah told me it was because I was difficult. When I asked mummy she just said Sarah should not listen through open house intercoms.

So I am spending the summer with gamgam.


She is nice and I think she likes me back. She gets her house AI to cook my best meals. Its all porridge but you add flavouring and it tastes like sweets, or crisps, or roast beef.


I have never had roast beef, I have never even seen a beef, but the flavour packet says it is beef so it must be beef.


My favourite flavour is bacon. I do not know what bacon is but it is nice.


****


It is now the third Monday and I have been practicing writing on some spare paper.


Paper is so weird. We don’t make it any more, we use very thin glass for everything that would have been paper once.


Everything in the house is glass and see through, like a jellyfish. If you put your phone or computer on any glass it will read everything. You can see anything you want, all the time.


Gamgam let me bring the typewriter (checked the spelling) to the TV room so I can use the glass TV table whilst I practice writing.

Gamgam is surprised how good my writing is. She reads very well. She had to learn in the olden days.


All my family think I am stupid.


THAT is the real reason I am not on holiday. That is the real reason I am alone. Because my brain is slow.


In school, we are taught things that computers and AI’s and programs cannot do. They cannot be creative. They cannot lead people and feel things.


Sarah is very good at arguing and making me feel things. I try not to cry when she does. She is always top of her class and mummy and daddy love her for it.


I don’t know how to read people’s faces, sense their emotions. At school they call me Mac because they think I am like a very slow computer that used to be good but is now useless. Even my teachers call me Mac. I actually think our AI receptionist thinks it’s my real name.


****


Gamgam asked me to type up a post card to send to mummy and daddy and Sarah. We took a picture and sent it to them. She said once we would have actually sent the thing I typed on. I have no idea how.


Mummy just sent a video back saying her AI couldn’t process the typeface and we’d have to try it again.


They didn’t try very hard though. MY AI Sirius the spectacular did it fine. I love Sirius. He is my only real friend.


Sirius showed me last night before I put him on charge images of these things called books which are massive piles of paper with writing on, and you physically have to turn the pages to read all the words.


              I would LOVE to see a book one day.

When I write my head feels clear and I can think so much easier than when I speak. When we’re forced to speak at school I get shy and don’t know what to say. When I write I have time, I can focus, I can let all the thoughts that swim around in my mind get into neat little lines so they can come out all in the right order.


I knew I wasn’t stupid.


****


I have now gone through nearly all of gamgams paper that she found in the attic.


I need to now start being careful with my words. No more stream of consciousness, no more practice vocabulary, just focused dialogue. Can you tell Sirius has been helping me with a new word of the day?


However, through much debate I have decided to run away.


Mummy and daddy announced last week that they are returning from their summer trip to Mars but my school is not ready yet to start term, so I will be staying with gamgam for another month.

Liars. You could tell gamgam was trying to hide her worry.


If they don’t want me that is fine. Someone will. I’ll go find someone who sees me for who I really am. Someone who has books and will let me touch them and turn the pages.


****


I have planned the escape to the finest detail.


I think gamgam knows, but she seems strangely supportive. I asked if I could borrow a spare set of charging cables for Sirius and she asked me if I wanted a spare powerbank and solar charging station too, as if she knew I was planning to go somewhere.


I hope one day I will see her again, her AI does make lovely bacon.


I will leave tomorrow before sunrise and take my zip scoot to the bullet train and get the 5.42 to the north. Sirius said they are friendly in the northern countryside. I have never been but that feels like a good place to start. Gamgam even gave me pocket money last week, plenty to cover my under 12 train ticket.

I will then start releasing the YouTube videos I’ve been making this summer. The kids at school have been going mad over this thing someone found called a rubik’s cube and I’m pretty good at it. If those videos take off as planned I should have a steady income by the time I reach Manchester Library.


I just have one final job left to do.


****


To mummy, daddy and Sarah,


I have left and will not be returning. It is clear that I’m not a welcomed member of the family so will not burden you with my presence any longer. Thank you for what you have given me so far, without your limited support I would not have discovered myself, or realised what I have to give this world.


I know you will have trouble processing this letter on account of your inability to actually read words, so my AI Sirius has kindly sent a voice activated file which will be released when gamgam’s AI registers you at the property.


Tears are words that need to be written. This summer, I have written enough to last a lifetime.


Yours faithfully,

Ziggy


Ps. Sarah you’re a bitch 


February 03, 2024 16:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

47 comments

01:11 Feb 07, 2024

Absolutely loved this, so clever! Well done!

Reply

Claire Trbovic
12:04 Feb 07, 2024

Thanks so much Melissa!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
19:45 Feb 05, 2024

Lovely story. it's scary to think that we will forget to read and write. As it is, our languages are morphing too fast. Even scarier to think that there won't be any bacon! :-) Kudos to Ziggy for following his star. Double kudos to gamgam.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
22:17 Feb 06, 2024

I know, that bacon bit was part inspired by my uncle who’s a dairy farmer who always remarks how crazy it is that city kids have never seen a cow in real life! I think gamgam might have to come back for another episode

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:19 Feb 06, 2024

Yes, an episode from gamgam's perspective would be great.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angela M
13:09 Feb 05, 2024

Hi Claire! The format of this story is so well thought out! It really shows the power of technology as well as the power of the human mind. I originally also wanted to write about "writing" dying out but didn't know how tell the story. This was really inspiring!

Reply

Claire Trbovic
12:11 Feb 07, 2024

Thank you so much Angela, I’ve been doing a writing course recently which has helped a lot with ideation, would really recommend!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annie Persson
11:14 Feb 05, 2024

I love how the voice at the beginning sounds a bit like a five-year-old bit then it gets older throughout the story. I'm not sure if you did it on purpose, but it really woks well. :)

Reply

Claire Trbovic
12:12 Feb 07, 2024

That was the plan! The theory was he needed some time for his ability to evolve, just showing how poor our writing skills might become in the future! Scary thought!

Reply

Annie Persson
21:38 Feb 07, 2024

Yeah, I don't think I could live if I couldn't write. I'd just do the same and run away.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
10:02 Feb 05, 2024

Again, Claire, you truly have a way of making readers feel for your characters. I could feel myself in Ziggy's shoes. Great take on the prompt !

Reply

Claire Trbovic
12:13 Feb 07, 2024

Thanks Stella! I also loved your take this week, so original! ♥️

Reply

Alexis Araneta
12:32 Feb 07, 2024

Aww, thank you, Claire !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Christy Morgan
00:23 Feb 04, 2024

Really clever, Claire! Loved it!! :)

Reply

Claire Trbovic
22:41 Feb 04, 2024

Thanks so much, Christy!

Reply

Christy Morgan
01:25 Feb 16, 2024

I really hope you win for this one…it’s ingenious and one of the best reads of recent. Fingers crossed!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
21:01 Feb 03, 2024

Navigating the old. Hope the less than twelve-year-old can make it on his own. Maybe he should take gramgram with him. Thanks for liking my 'Another Brick in the Wall'. And for 'Sixties Teen'.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
22:42 Feb 04, 2024

I hope in a follow up story gamgam follows him from afar, she seems like a savvy grandparent!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:23 Feb 04, 2024

Indeed she does.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
17:36 Feb 03, 2024

Sincerely, one of the most creative pieces I've read, a fabulous take on the prompt. I hope you get some recognition for this.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
22:43 Feb 04, 2024

Thanks so much Ty, this one felt really good to write so it’s lovely to receive such wonderful feedback, massively appreciated! Comments like this are recognition enough :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:55 Feb 19, 2024

Good God, Claire, this was amazing! I cannot emphasize enough how bloody brilliant this is. The way the writing style changes gradually reminded me of 'Flowers for Algernon'. Having just come back from the book shop – where I spent much more than I probably should have! – made this hit home even more. I hope Ziggy is successful, but I can't help but think that it's a cruel world out there for a kid, but maybe the world will be safer with everyone glued to their screens? Oh and 'Tears are words that need to be written' is one beautiful quote....

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:42 Feb 21, 2024

Thanks so much Joshua, your words really mean a lot, this one was a bit of an unusual one for me and feel like it worked out pretty well! I agree, i think maybe i was a bit too hopeful for Ziggy and i'm not sure he'd even get past the train barrier before Gamgam pulled him back, maybe another iteration for another day! Your comment really meant a lot - i thought i might have had a shortlist with this one and was selfishly sad when it didn't happen, but to have incredible writers such as yourself give it praise, that's all i can ever ask for :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
18:26 Feb 16, 2024

What an interesting concept for a story, though I find this future to be a terrifying one. What will the world come to if we don't have a need for real books? Or bacon? I have a few typewriters myself and I do notice it's easier to write on those than a computer; there's no distractions! Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:43 Feb 21, 2024

The bacon, what would the world come to... funnily i have eaten a lot of bacon since writing this, trying to get it all in just in case! Thanks so much for your comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Cantwell
17:20 Feb 16, 2024

loved the story. Great job!

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:43 Feb 21, 2024

Thanks David, massively appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kerriann Murray
23:32 Feb 14, 2024

Super creative! Loved the story and the journey. I thought you did a great job with the opening and with building up to the character being stronger with writing and spelling. I also loved the very end, for just a little extra punch. :) Great job!

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:45 Feb 21, 2024

Thanks Kerriann, got to get that sibling rivalry in there haha! Your piece for this prompt was also wonderful, really enjoyed it. Thanks so much for your comment :)

Reply

Kerriann Murray
22:11 Feb 21, 2024

I thought yours should have won! ❤️

Reply

Claire Trbovic
22:15 Feb 21, 2024

You’re an angel, thanks for saying that ♥️ I got a bit deflated afterwards so that’s massively appreciated

Reply

Kerriann Murray
22:57 Feb 21, 2024

I felt that way two weeks ago, I loved my story so much and it was such a bummer! I figured I'll just keep writing. ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
A.D. Perry
18:49 Feb 14, 2024

This is absolutely brilliant. Excellent construction and all the arcs in the right places. I would love to see this world expanded into a novel--you've dropped a few well-placed hints that provide some tantalizing clues about this new society that have inspired my curiosity to read more. I'm looking forward to reading more of your work.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:46 Feb 21, 2024

Thanks so much! It's the first time i've thought about anything set in the future but actually it came really naturally so perhaps i'll so a spin off... watch this space! Thanks so much for your comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:07 Feb 13, 2024

really great job pulling the reader in, I was pretty much hooked at H I H I H I H E L L O H E L L O. HELLO. lol So creative and makes you think! 👏🏼

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Rutherford
10:15 Feb 11, 2024

Very creative. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Rutherford
09:38 Feb 11, 2024

Very creative. A possible vision of the future. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Robert Egan
19:21 Feb 10, 2024

Wow, I really enjoyed your story! Nice move with using the retro theme to explore the 22nd century. "At school they call me Mac because they think I am like a very slow computer that used to be good but is now useless." This part had me laughing out loud this morning, which is rare for me. The details of a world where AI has made reading nearly obsolete were fascinating and woven very well into the fabric of this typewritten story. As a minor detail, I wasn't 100% sure if gagam was still in human form or some type of human AI bound to the...

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:48 Feb 21, 2024

Ha thanks so much Robert! I had a giggle when i wrote that line, mainly because i hope Apple don't take over the world one day! Really good point on Gamgam, as writers we get so wrapped up sometimes we don't fully explain certain aspects so i'll definitely watch out for that in the future, i'm still feeling my way round with my prose writing so great to get the feedback. Thanks so much for your comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:21 Feb 10, 2024

Very clever! Reminds me a bit of Flowers for Algernon, one of my favorite stories!

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:49 Feb 21, 2024

Thanks so much Stephanie, a few people have said that and i've never read it! Now on my list!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maisie Poivre
16:16 Feb 10, 2024

Very good and unique idea

Reply

Claire Trbovic
16:17 Feb 10, 2024

Thanks Maisie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:48 Feb 08, 2024

If ever there was a good use of typos, this is it :) This is a great story! The world building is smoothly integrated into things, giving us a good picture of this future world without ever bogging things down. The image presented, of a world where reading and writing are eccentricities at best and otherwise largely forgotten, is neat - it seems like the kind of thing that could happen, as we get more tech to “do stuff for us”. And the fact this outdated technique helps the character organize his thoughts and improve his life is a key deta...

Reply

Claire Trbovic
16:24 Feb 10, 2024

Thanks so much Michal, the forced spelling errors did make my skin itch a bit! I actually had a conversation with a teacher the other day and she was saying how poor her students written skills were becoming because so much is voice automated now, scary thinking this reality might not be far around the corner. Your point on the reliable narrator is a good one and if I were to redo this i think I’d maybe have Gamgam following him, or maybe he’d threaten to run but actually end up hiding in a cupboard or something, always good to have food ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.