20 comments

Sad Fiction

I don’t want to go there…” I whispered to nobody in the soft dim light of the Café, closing my eyes tight as if that could stop the memories from taking me back. I stopped, not five paces from the entrance, and knew I had to turn around and leave. I just wanted to run in for a coffee and danish on my way to work. The morning walk through the city was brisk and chilly, typical late November, yet steady streams of sunlight soaked into me. I’d felt happy and energized, until now. 

The smell of gingerbread, warm and brown and sweet, filled the air. There was no way to stop it now. A gingerbread man had me by the hand and was dragging me back to my grandmother’s kitchen. 

I don’t want to go there…” I muttered again, turning around and making my way toward the door. But the gingerbread man tugged harder, he wouldn’t let me go. He sat me at a small table near the door, and all of a sudden I was eight years old again. I closed my eyes, and the gingerbread man sat with me, asking me to remember. Swirls of cinnamon wrapped around my hair and arms, nutmeg and clove danced like glitter all around me. My grandmother was laughing, and I was straightening my blue checked apron that she had just tied. Gram had a matching one she wore. The white lace trim was itchy. Bing Crosby crooned about a White Christmas on the kitchen radio, a fixture on her counter next to the bread box adorned with yellow, orange, and brown flowers. 

“Shall we make a whole army of gingerbread men?” she asked me. 

“Yes!” I replied, and jumped down from the chair I’d been standing on. Mom would have yelled “Get down before you fall!”, but Gram didn’t mind. Gram knew I’d be ok. 

I watched as she set the oven to preheat, then took out cookie sheets. She never followed recipes, just knew what temperature and what ingredients came together like magic. 

“Here’s the spoon to mix with. I’ll add everything slowly because it gets hard to stir. Then you can roll out the dough, and we’ll cut out our army!” she told me. 

I concentrated hard as I stirred the eggs that gooed slowly from their cracked shells, then the dark molasses that oozed from the measuring cup, then the sugar. There were puffs of white flour like clouds on the kitchen table. I paused and traced my name into a cloud, C-o-r-a, then I traced into another cloud G-r-a-m, with a heart around it. 

Gram smiled, and gently took the bowl from me. I watched as her strong hands began to knead the thickening dough. Her skin was thin like rice paper, soft and smooth. I could see her blue veins rising like mountains through them. 

“Can I try?”

“Of course, doll!” and she moved aside for me to step in. She always called me “doll”, or “dolly”, and it made me feel beautiful and special like a porcelain doll that was dearly loved and adored. 

The dough was sticky, and it took all my might to squish it. I watched as it creeped through my fingers, brown slithering snakes coiling as they rose. I squished again, and patted it down flat. I balled my hands into fists like I’d seen Gram do, and pressed down hard, lifting my feet from the floor as I leaned into it. 

“You’re a natural at baking. You know just what to do,” she gleamed. I proudly smiled back at her, wondering if it was the heat of the warming kitchen causing the glistening of sweat on her forehead. 

“Time to roll!” Gram said, handing me the rolling pin. 

I put my fingers gently into the bowl of silky soft flour, rubbing it against the smooth wood of the rolling pin. The marble handles were cold. The wood covered with flour felt a little course on my fingertips. 

I began rolling the dough into an oval. It was really hard to make it flat. My hands slipped a little on the handles of the rolling pin, and I tried to press it out from side to side. 

“Would you like me to help?” Gram asked. 

“Yeah, maybe a little,” I said, and handed her the rolling pin.

Gram rolled the dough, her face getting more red as tiny beads of sweat were forming. Her thin blonde hair, recently permed into curls against her head, was darkened and sticking to her temples. 

“Want me to do it, Gram?” I had asked. 

“That’s ok dolly, it’s all ready now to cut out the army of gingerbread men!” she replied, using her apron to pat her wet face. Her breathing seemed heavy from all the rolling. 

One by one, I pressed the shiny silver cookie cutter into the dough, releasing another soldier into the growing army of gingerbread men on the cookie sheets. 

Once the army was at attention, all in a line, they were ready to be baked. Gram put them in the oven and glanced at the clock. 

“Not long now, dolly. I’m just going to sit a little and rest my eyes. Keep an eye on them, ok?” she’d said, and sat in the kitchen chair. It was near the wall, and she rested her head back, closing her eyes. 

I looked through the glass of the oven, tinged brown with age and use despite Gram’s constant scrubbing. Slowly, the gingerbread men were starting to grow, to rise. The warmth of the oven caressed my face, the smell of cookies filled my nose, and Christmas music filled my ears. 

“These smell so good, Gram!” I said, excited to see what they tasted like. 

Gram didn’t answer. 

I turned around, and Gram didn’t look well. 

“Gram?” I yelled, trying to make her wake up. 

Slowly, she opened her eyes, and gave me a weak smile. 

“I’m not feeling that great right now, dolly. Call your mom, and ask her to come over. Tell her I might want the doctor to check on my heart. She’ll know what to do.”

“Ok, Gram, I’ll call her,” and I ran to the phone at the bottom of her steps. I dialed my number, poking my tiny finger into each numbered hole, spinning it in a circle and waiting as it spun back again before poking my finger into the next number. 

“Mom, Gram isn’t feeling right. She said to call and tell you the doctor needs to check her heart,” I said as fast as I could. 

“I’ll be right there,” my mom said before quickly hanging up. 

I ran back to Gram. 

“I think it’s about time to get those gingerbread men out of there. Get the oven mitts and take them out. Put them on the counter. They can cool there,” Gram said calmly. 

I did as she said, and then my mom and dad hurried through the door. 

“Mom, come with me. We’ll go to the hospital to get you checked,” my dad said. He helped Gram up. 

“Cora. You stay here with your mom and get those gingerbread men decorated. I can’t wait to see them when I get home,” Gram said with a smile, then put her hand to her heart. 

“I love you, sweetheart,” she said and gave me a hug. 

“I love you too, Gram. I’ll decorate ALL of them! Wait til you see!” I said. 

Dad and Gram left, and Mom and I finished up the cookies. 

“Think Gram will be back soon?” I hopefully asked my mom, looking out the window. It had collected condensation on the inside from the heat of the cookies baking, but was now disappearing. 

“Why don’t we have some cookies while we wait for her. These are Gram’s favorite to make. Let’s try some,” my mom coaxed. 

“Ok. Gram is going to love how I put the icing on them!” I said, still expecting Dad and Gram to walk through the door any minute.

I sat on my mom’s lap, eating gingerbread men and gazing out the window as the sky melted from blue to purple to black. 

Gram never came back. 

I felt something warm fall on my arm, and realized suddenly that I was crying, sitting alone in the Café. The smell of gingerbread continued to fill the air, and I saw a worker taking a tray from the oven, behind the counter. 

Now the gingerbread man began to pull me in another direction. I wouldn’t let myself think of Gram, of losing her, of anything that made me think of her. Maybe it was time to think of her again, he seemed to whisper gently. To talk to Dad about her, ask what she was like when he was a little boy.  Did she bake gingerbread men with him? I’d buried all my feelings, squished them down like the gingerbread dough. It was time to let the memories creep up through my fingers, feel them, look at them. 

I hadn’t had gingerbread cookies since that day when my Gram, my best friend, left me forever. I wondered if it still tasted the same as that day. 

The gingerbread man led me from the table. He urged me along, and seemed to say “It’s ok.” At the counter, I ordered a coffee and a gingerbread cookie, fresh from the oven with sweet white icing melting and dripping down its edges. It was warm in my hand, soft and a little cracked on top. 

I went back to the small table by the door. I sat down and took a small bite of the still warm gingerbread. It was cinnamon, and ginger, and sugar, and molasses, and Christmas music, and white flour clouds that said Gram. 

I took out my phone, and called Dad. 

“Hey Dad. Have a minute?”

“Sure, sweetheart, what’s up?” 

“Tell me about Gram.” 

And I took another bite. 

October 05, 2023 01:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

16:26 Oct 18, 2023

Aww that's a very touching story Nina. And a lovely tribute to Gram. Love the use of the gingerbread man to help the mc find closure. Brill!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Martin Ross
15:05 Oct 14, 2023

A lovely story that reminded me of my grandma and her scratch butterscotch pudding and vinegar pie (far better than it sounds). We also had a downtown bakery with gingerbread men strung around the ceiling all year round. You use the sensory elements so well, and it’s a nice response to the prompt. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Charles Haynes
01:44 Oct 13, 2023

Everyone should have a "Gram" they remember so fondly. Recalls the many hours I spent with my grandma.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tom Skye
21:51 Oct 12, 2023

This was a very sweet read (pun intended) :) Very vivid and creative depiction of grief. My grandma is 95 and slowing down, so I found this story extra moving. Great work again Nina. Thank you for sharing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Miley Ashborne
16:17 Oct 11, 2023

Your descriptions are very in depth. I pictured in my mind a gingerbread large as a person with a smooth rounded arm ending leading the narrator to buy coffee. This story speaks well to the grief of losing a grandparent. Great writing!

Reply

Nina H
23:58 Oct 11, 2023

That’s what I was picturing too! 😄 and yes, that’s a hard loss to get through. But getting to the point where you can look back and embrace the time you had together makes it a little easier. thank you for reading!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
12:03 Oct 10, 2023

Nina In my experience this is exactly what moving through grief looks like. You run from it until one day you find the bravery to take a close look at it, feel it, and find away to let the memories let you smile instead of hurting you anymore. I loved this, thank you.

Reply

Nina H
13:10 Oct 10, 2023

Finding a way to smile at them rather than hurt - exactly!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
14:05 Oct 07, 2023

Run, run, as fast as you can, you can't outrun...memories. This was so smart, and creative, and full of nasal twitching goodness. Beautiful Nina.

Reply

Nina H
14:19 Oct 07, 2023

“Nasal twitching goodness” - I love that!! Thanks for reading, Kevin!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
19:43 Oct 06, 2023

All our shops are chock a block all ready with Christmas delicacies. As I'm in Germany that means stollen and their version of gingerbread biscuits: spicy ones called Spekulatius ( they make devilish good winter tiramisu instead of lady's fingers). This was a taste bonanza of just what Christmas is: edible memories. I loved the idea of the gingerbread man leading her by the hand, so poignant. Now I want to break my promise to not eat anything festive until after the Fall break😉

Reply

Nina H
19:59 Oct 06, 2023

Whoa whoa waitta minute! Tiramisu made with gingerbread?? 🙀 And wow! Germany starts early with their holiday goodies!!! Rebecca, I give you full permission to begin the holiday snacking. I’ll write a note to the bakery and sign it, it will all be quite official. 😌

Reply

Rebecca Miles
20:17 Oct 06, 2023

Wonderful. I think that official note extends to mulled wine. Sadly I don't have a bottle in yet so I'll just uncork the Italian red🍷😜

Reply

Nina H
20:40 Oct 06, 2023

Substitutions allowed!! Cheers!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
09:40 Oct 06, 2023

A really lovely story, Nina. Only problem is that you might have jumped the gun - this will be perfect for the inevitable Christmas prompt. I could see a mini Bing on the counter top in the flour/snow.

Reply

Nina H
10:23 Oct 06, 2023

Oh I love that vision!! 🥰 And I did think I may be prompt-jumping too!! 😂 But that’s the story that came out so, I’ll just have to figure something else out for Christmas! I can see it now: write a story about baking Christmas cookies, but the experience is bittersweet… lol!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
06:06 Oct 06, 2023

Beautiful story, Nina, very touching. I loved how you used the gingerbread man as an antagonist that has your protagonist confront their feelings. Very well crafted.

Reply

Nina H
10:24 Oct 06, 2023

Thanks, Ty! Yes, he’s sort of a Ghost of Christmas past kind of character here. She needs him to face it, to then move forward. Thanks so much for reading!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
02:20 Oct 05, 2023

Oh this so so sweet! Well, bittersweet. Poor Gram. I instantly felt connected to this story because my daughter's name is Cora and she has a very special relationship with her grandmother, too. I really liked how you used the gingerbread man as a guide here, taking Cora back through time. I feel like only gingerbread cookies are capable of such a magical nostalgia, where we could actually personify them into our memories and create an emotional connection like that. Losing her grandmother making cookies is just heartbreaking, and I could s...

Reply

Nina H
11:31 Oct 05, 2023

Baking with grandmothers is just the most special thing. And that’s what I envisioned too with her coming to terms with the death and embracing the memories: moving forward with it and creating new traditions 🥰 Thanks for reading!! And, I just love the name Cora!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.