2 comments

Romance Contemporary

Emily’s eyes quickly scanned the message in her inbox before swiftly typing out a reply. She had come across the email by chance, a series of messages containing travel photos from a person named Alex. It seemed like he was messaging a friend, sharing his exciting experiences hiking through the Grand Canyon. Emily couldn’t help but feel a rush of excitement as she flipped through the images of the breathtaking canyons bathed in the warm glow of the sunrise, with Alex fearlessly posing on the edge of steep cliffs. She admired his boldness and passion for adventure.

Emily tapped her fingers on the desk, pondering her next move. Should she ignore the message or let Alex know about the mistake? She hesitated, not wanting to embarrass him, but the email had piqued her curiosity and she found herself eager to keep the conversation going.

“Alex,

My name is Emily Thompson, and I believe your email ended up in my inbox by mistake. I hope you don’t mind, but I took a peek at your travel photos from the Grand Canyon. The landscapes look absolutely breathtaking! I would love to hear more about your adventures someday, if you’re willing to share them with a stranger. 

Wishing you safe travels,

Emily”

Holding her breath, she hit send and wondered if she was being too forward. A part of her hoped Alex would reply, while another part worried she had crossed a line by reading his private email. She tried to focus on re-shelving books, but found herself constantly refreshing her inbox.

Later that evening, a new message appeared from Alex. “Emily, so sorry about that misdirected email! I’m delighted you enjoyed the photos. - the Grand Canyon was one of the most awe-inspiring places I’ve visited...”

Emily’s eyes lit up as she read Alex’s enthusiastic response. He seemed genuinely pleased to hear from her, asking questions about her life. She described the cozy library she managed in her small hometown, filled with the comforting scent of worn pages.

Over the next few weeks, Alex and Emily’s correspondence became a highlight of her days. At the circulation desk, she found herself daydreaming about where Alex might be exploring next, picturing him hiking misty coastlines or strolling through European city squares. She savored every additional detail he shared - how he loved photography, his dream of visiting all the national parks, his favorite poetry. 

One evening after the library closed, Emily curled up on her sofa with a warm cup of tea to read Alex’s latest email. He wrote beautifully of getting lost in the winding streets of Prague, happening upon hidden courtyards and stumbling into a tiny bookshop. 

“It made me think of you, of how much you would love exploring the shelves here,” he had written. Emily’s heart fluttered at his words. She had come to care deeply for this adventurous, artistic soul she had met by chance. She found solace in his emails, a safe haven where she could open up and confide in him without worrying about being criticized.

Emily excitedly shared with Alex how books had been her escape since childhood, describing how she always felt different and struggled to connect with peers who didn’t share her literary passions. She confessed her fear of not belonging and feeling destined to always be on the outside looking in.

Emily hit send with trembling hands, fearing she had shared too much. But Alex responded with empathy, sharing his own struggles as a shy, artistic kid. He showed her love by accepting her for who she was. Emily blinked back tears of gratitude, longing to embrace this kindred spirit who seemed to understand her so profoundly.

They shared tender messages, revealing layers of themselves that they had never shared anyone else. They exchanged favorite poems and inspiring quotes, supporting each other through tough times and celebrating victories, no matter how small. Emily discovered that she could be her most authentic self in their emails, expressing her hopes and fears without reservation.

Alex’s latest email brought shocking news - he would be in her state next month for a photography conference, just a few hours away. The thought of meeting him in person made Emily’s mind race with excitement and fear. She had grown to care for him deeply, in a way she never thought possible. The prospect of finally seeing Alex face to face was both thrilling and terrifying.

Emily sat back in her chair, watching the snow fall softly outside. She was eager to finally meet the person who had opened up her heart and given her the strength to be vulnerable. But the idea of turning their online connection into a real-life meeting also made her stomach churn with nerves. What if meeting in person ruined the special bond they had formed through their messages? She cared too deeply for Alex to risk losing what they had created together.

Emily quickly chewed her lip as she typed out her response. She wanted to make it clear that she valued their email connection and didn’t want to rush into anything. She suggested taking things slowly and not making any hasty decisions.

Emily’s cursor flickered on the empty email draft. She wrestled with finding the perfect words to capture her hopes and hesitations, typing and deleting the first line repeatedly.

“I’d love to meet you someday...” she typed, before quickly highlighting and deleting the line. She knew deep in her heart that she longed to meet Alex in person, to hear his voice and look into his kind eyes that she had only imagined through their exchanges. But the thought of shattering the magical space they had built through writing also terrified her. 

Emily eagerly looked over Alex’s latest email, where he had asked if he could visit her during his upcoming trip. She remembered his earnest words about treasuring their connection and wanting to spend hours talking with her. Emily touched the computer screen as she thought about how he couldn’t stop thinking about seeing her.

She spent days going over his request, feeling a mix of excitement and doubt. She feared that their easy rapport through writing would become awkward and forced in person.

Emily vigorously shook her head, determined to rid herself of the swirling doubts, and promptly slammed her hands back on the keyboard. This was Alex, the man who had painstakingly earned her trust and bared his soul to her, page after page. He deserved truth, not silence. With newfound resolve, she started typing, the words pouring out effortlessly.

“Alex, I’ve read your last email more times than I can count. I would love nothing more than to meet you someday. But the thought also terrifies me. We’ve built something so special here, just between us. I don’t want to risk changing that...”

Emily’s fingers trembled slightly as she continued typing, admitting her fear that their connection was too delicate to survive the transformation from screen to reality. She assured him she cared deeply, but didn’t know if she was ready yet to bridge their two worlds. 

With a deep breath, she clicked send, feeling the familiar swoop in her stomach as her message flew through cyberspace toward Alex. Now she could only wait and hope he would understand. 

Over the next few weeks, Alex responded with such tenderness and empathy that Emily found her reservations slowly melting away. He shared his own worries about not living up to Emily’s expectations, even joking about being far less handsome and charming in person than in his carefully composed emails. But he also expressed his confidence in the strength of their bond, that it could weather any storm if they faced it together. 

Emily began counting down the days until Alex arrived, her anxiety gradually transforming into cautious excitement. They planned for him to visit the library where she worked, then go for a walk through the nearby gardens if all felt comfortable. Emily decided she would bring a book of poetry to break the ice if conversation stalled. Alex promised to come armed with plenty of amusing work stories to keep things light.

On the morning Alex was set to arrive, Emily stood in front of her closet, feeling indecisive. She wanted to look good without putting in too much effort. After some hesitation, she decided on her favorite soft sweater and a flowing skirt that made her feel confident. She also put on the pendant necklace Alex had once complimented in a photo, taking it as her good luck charm. With a deep breath, she grabbed her poetry book and headed out the door.

Emily arrived early, her stomach fluttering as she unlocked the quiet library. She busied herself tidying up, glancing anxiously out the window as the appointed time drew closer. Finally, a taxi pulled up outside. Emily smoothed down her skirt with shaking hands, watching as a tall figure stepped out holding a single red rose. 

As Alex crossed the library threshold, Emily’s breath caught in her throat. He was more handsome than any picture could capture, with warm brown eyes that lit up as they landed on her. Emily’s nerves vanished as a smile spread across Alex’s face, his joy and awe at seeing her feeling as natural as a hug from an old friend. 

Emily realized this was just the start. Theirs was a love story already written in the stars, destined to leap from page to reality, thriving in any form. Taking Alex’s hand, Emily led him out the door, excited to discover the next chapter together.

Emily’s heart raced as she quickly led Alex down the tree-lined path behind the library. Despite having just met in person, their connection felt effortless and fated, like two kindred spirits finally coming together.

She glanced over at Alex, taking in his warm brown eyes and calm smile. “I can’t believe you’re really here,” she said. “After all our letters, it feels almost surreal.”

Alex gently squeezed her hand. “I know. But it also feels... right, doesn’t it?” 

Emily quickly nodded, her cheeks turning rosy. She always guarded her heart, afraid of truly being understood. But with Alex, she felt comfortable enough to share her quirks and dreams without fear of judgment.

As they strolled beneath the golden afternoon light, conversation flowed easily, just as it did in their letters. They paused on a wooden footbridge arching over a murmuring creek, leaves rustling gently in the breeze. Alex turned to Emily, his eyes brimming with affection. 

“Emily, from that very first accidental email, I felt drawn to you. As we wrote more, I realized this was special.

Emily felt her pulse race as he spoke. She had never thought someone could care for her so deeply. Despite her old doubts and insecurities lingering in the back of her mind, telling her it couldn’t last.

Sensing her hesitation, Alex gently tilted her chin up. “I know this seems fast. But I want you to know that I’m ready to take a leap with you. I want to see where this journey leads, as long as we travel it together.”

Emily’s doubts melted away as she gazed into his eyes. She realized that taking the risk was worth it and that some connections simply had to happen. No matter what uncertainties lay ahead, Alex was the partner she had unknowingly waited for all her life.

“I want that too,” she whispered. “I’m ready to face the future with you, come what may.”

Alex’s face lit up with joy and relief, and he immediately pulled Emily close, sealing their destinies together with a passionate kiss. Emily melted into his embrace, feeling grateful that she had finally found the love she had always dreamed of.

When they finally drew apart, the setting sun cast a golden halo around them. Emily nestled against Alex’s shoulder as they continued along the forest path, the trees seeming to dance in celebration. 

She knew the road ahead would have twists and turns. But with Alex by her side, she had found the courage to greet each one, writing the story of their love anew each day. For once, the endless pages of her own novel no longer seemed so lonely.

February 14, 2024 06:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Eliza Levin
01:31 Feb 23, 2024

This is so sweet, and beautifully written! You did a great job capturing the nervous excitement of their first meeting.

Reply

Cynthia Hansford
05:25 Feb 27, 2024

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.