3 comments

Inspirational Contemporary American

1. Topic statement: Write a story about a character running late for a job interview.

Dream Job

There was ringing in my ears. It was persistent. I just needed a few more minutes to rest my weary soul. I clumsily reached for my annoying phone to silence the menace. No sooner had I turned it off, I felt a tugging at my ear followed by loud incessant purring. My bleary eyes revealed my catatonic state to my annoyed observer. Sunny, my lifelong feline friend, was not amused and continued bellowing his dissatisfaction at not being fed. Alas, I need to be a better caretaker of my furry friend since an even grander opportunity was coming my way.


 Reluctantly, I slid from under the covers of my warm comforter and plopped onto the chilly tiled floor. I laid my face directly on the floor. The coolness penetrated my thick skull. I finally summoned enough strength to rise from the floor to push back the window drapes. The brilliance of the sunlight forced me to squint. It had the makings of a beautiful day! I opened the window inhaling the outside air only to choke and gasp from the pollen and dust swirling in my yard. It was still a beautiful day.


The crying would not abate. Sunny contemptuously meowed for his breakfast. With care I opened his tinned feast of processed fish parts. He inhaled it and demanded a second tin. I compiled; he was now content. With that behind me, I needed to get ready for my very important day. At last, the day had come.  The night before I thoughtfully planned how this day would proceed.  I inwardly chuckled as I reminded myself “I got this.” I looked over at the nightstand for my phone. It was not there.  I checked in the immediate vicinity but I could not find it. Menacingly, I looked over at Sunny who was now perched on top of his cat tower. “Ok, you have had your fun!  What did you do with my phone?” He gazed at me with innocent cat eyes. It was almost as if he was saying “look under the bed, you big buffoon.” Sure enough, my inner haunting voice told me to check it out. Behold! There it lay at the midpoint of my bed. When I finally reached it, I noticed the time. I gasped and yelped as though I was Snagglepuss yelling at Yogi Bear “heavens to Murgatroyd!” And now in a voice of the White Rabbit, “I am so late, so very very late.” I scrambled from underneath my bed. Amnesia set in. My ordered thoughts and plans to address this most important day were cast aside in lieu of expediency. It was still a beautiful day.


I rummaged through my closet finding whatever would fit. Should I wear a suit, or a sport coat? Would a tie be too formal? What about color matching of shirt and pants?  If only I had not been such a lard ass at getting out of bed. I dressed without a once over view in the mirror.  “Oh, this is terrible! Any serious impression about my sensible character would be in serious doubt triggered in part by my horrendous wardrobe choices.


I had hoped to eat a sumptuous breakfast whiling sipping an invigorating expresso. That idea vanished when I temporarily lost my phone. I had no time to prepare anything. I am not a person who thrives on convenience food so I had nothing I could pop into the microwave. I had no time to stop for fast food. I had to eat something! My stomach was gurgling so loudly Sunny would not come near me.  At my wits end, I decided to do the unthinkable. I opened and consumed one of Sunny’s fish delights. “Tastes like chicken” as I lied to myself. That seemed to settle my active, rumbling innards. It was still a beautiful day.


Now I had to fly like a bird. I grabbed my satchel (man purse), wallet and my troublesome phone. I owned no car. Hired cars were not an option at a moment’s notice. My personal travel was by bus or commuter train. My destination was downtown, about an hour away. My interview was in one hour. Needless to say, I was cutting it close. The thought occurred to me to call and postpone the interview. But this was a one-time opportunity. Any delays or excuses from me would reflect poorly on the overall outcome. I just had to push forth. Given the course of events for the day, I discovered the commuter trains were running behind schedule because of an early morning derailment. Why of all days would this have to happen? I had no choice but to ride the number 13 bus into downtown.  I am not a superstitious person. Time was ticking away. Each stop seemed to take longer and longer. My anxiety was growing by leaps and bounds.


Then, the most unlikely event happened. At the last stop before the courthouse, a hooded and masked passenger boarded. He brandished an automatic pistol. He would not let anyone leave the bus. He demanded everyone’s wallets, jewelry, and purses. Yes, even my man purse. I agonized and said to myself “this cannot be happening on the most important day in my life!” My rage was simmering over like a steam kettle. The brazen thief disembarked with all of the stolen items.  Enraged and ready to burst, I scrambled off the bus racing after the thief, armed or not. My adrenaline rush surged through my body to the point where I hurled myself at the thief causing all his loot to scatter in the street. My satchel lay a few feet from the perpetrator. A few policemen saw the violet skirmish and hustled over to intervene. They arrested and mirandized the thief. Eyewitness statements were recorded including mine. I asked to excuse myself because my interview was beginning at that very moment.  A quick sprint to the building and I would be there in fifteen minutes.


I arrived at my destination all disheveled. I looked like hell and then some. Painstakingly, I climbed up the stairs into the courthouse. Oh, how I ached, but I finally arrived. The doors into the courthouse were heavy. It was still a beautiful day. 


I entered the courtroom. The judge did a quick once over of my appearance.  He shook his head side to side. He said incredulously, “You are late, very late. But I heard it from a reliable authority, one of the officers who radioed the courthouse said that you are the man of the hour. You put yourself at great risk. Why?” he asked me. With a quivering voice I said, “the thief stole my satchel.” The judge questioned me, “Why is your satchel so important to you that you would risk your life to get it back?” I said, “because it contains my future. It has the signed adoption papers for my son. I felt if they were lost, I would not be given custody to care for him, ever.”

The judge, misty-eyed said, “This interview is over. The court grants you complete guardianship and care over your new son!” And he added, “You know that one who considers his life more precious than his own is honorable, heroic, and certainly deserving of fatherhood. Your actions today are indicative of a man who would love his son under any condition.”


It really was a beautiful day!


Acknowledgement: Reedys.com

May 04, 2024 00:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Belladona Vulpa
16:02 May 14, 2024

While "Dream Job" is a captivating tale with a relatable premise, the resolution could benefit from further development/polishing. The protagonist's sudden success in gaining custody of his son feels somewhat rushed and could be fleshed out to create a more satisfying conclusion. For example, an idea would be to spend more storytime/words showing us what goes through the mind of the person, or sensory details for a more immersive reading experience. Expanding on the emotional journey and the impact of his actions would enhance the overall na...

Reply

Pete Gautchier
18:49 May 14, 2024

Thank you for your comment and critique. But too much "fleshing" would have impacted the surprise nature of the interview in the first place. Sometimes less is really "more" especially when one is writing short narrative with a surprise ending.

Reply

Belladona Vulpa
20:54 May 14, 2024

That's also a valid perspective! Many things can be true at the same time, that's the beautiful thing about creative expression. Thank you for sharing this enjoyable story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.