Lost in Knuckles - නකල්ස් හි අතරමං විය

Submitted into Contest #249 in response to: Write a story about a character driving and getting lost.... view prompt

19 comments

Funny Speculative Drama


He imagined he got lost on the dramatic day of his conception.


As a sperm, after the ejaculation from his father’s penis, into his mother’s vagina, together with his fellow brother and sister sperms as they swam fanatically like blind tiny tadpoles into the cavernous uterus, and he believed in one defining and momentous moment, everybody turned left, and he alone turned right and swam along the fallopian tube, and found his mother’s egg, just like Prince Philip found Sleeping Beauty, more by fortune than fate. But surely, he was lost that day, and the circumstance would play out numerous times in the small sperm’s life, in his later transformed life, getting lost and finding fortune – it would be his fate. He was the Christopher Columbus sperm that day, falling off the flat table edge of the world, to discover his North American egg and fortune by chance.


The miracle of conceiving.


Crawling over the bat’s shit in the dark tunnel entrance to the cave, he realized his weekend trip had reached its nadir. Sid had shot ahead. His younger, lean, and lithe body crawled through the small tunnel cavity like a hungry hunting badger after flying mice. The crawl space was no more than two feet in height, and all Joe could feel under his hands, and knees, his body was the gritty bat droppings. He sensed the stubborn granite confines above and to the sides, as his reptilian gait slowly dragged his body towards the huge opening edifice of the dark and dank cave. The darkening of his fears in the claustrophobic tunnel was beginning to edge into panic, as he finally entered the wide opening of the huge bat cave. It was disappointing after all the effort in the limited crawl space, the cave with its many tiny crevices hid most of the sleeping bats, the only evidence that thousands of creatures were nesting in the cave, was the mountain of their droppings on the floor like a huge ant’s nest, with their rancid and pungent smell.


Sid hurried Joe back into the tunnel space with the next item on the trip, by pronouncing.


“Let’s go, I want to show you the snakes.”


Sid’s curated week-end trip to the Central Highlands of Srilanka, the Knuckle Forest Reserve was eventful. But that was Srilanka, a surprise at every turn. Joe had been assigned a lengthy period of training and mentoring in the Land of the island (Lanka from Hindu mythology). He was assigned to twelve weeks in Srilanka, and he thought it would be a good idea to organize a Villa outside the busy city of Colombo; for his family. He started looking at locations before he traveled, Galle looked an exotic location by the shores of the Indian Ocean. He found out that the driving authorities of Srilanka required an international driving license, so he applied for the document before he left the shores of the UK.


The first free weekend he had available he organized a rental car to explore the south of the island, with the intention of finding first an ideal location for his family, and then the availability of a Villa in the vicinity. This was the plan, as he set out at dawn for Galle. On the map it indicated the distance was no more than 90 miles along the coastal road, he expected to reach the seaside town before midday. He had witnessed the bumper-to-bumper traffic from the airport to the city that should have warned him of what was to come. After one hour’s drive he hadn’t reached the outskirts of the city. This was before the new motorways were built that now circle the island. This was the old coastal road, a single lane, which was expanded by invading traffic into three chaotic but illegitimate lanes, in both directions; bicycles, motorbikes, cars, buses, so many buses, and cars, wrestled for a piece of the tarmac. It was the antipathy to the definition of highway cruising, as buses, trucks overloaded with goods bullied for that single lane, overtaking with the recklessness of speedway track. Driving etiquette was for the brave and foolhardy. By midday Joe hadn’t reached the midway point, Galle seemed hours away. Looking around at the vistas of the aquamarine blue of the ocean was impossible as invading traffic constantly entered and engaged from all sides, honking, and swerving buses with baggage strapped high on roofs fought for a meter of precious road. Any lapse of concentration would be catastrophic. Sometimes he passed elephants plodding along, or cattle being herded, the term public thoroughfare had new meaning in the Land of the Island, as the never-ending drive to Galle remained in the distance, an elusive dot on the map. It was an exhausting and unpleasant experience. The idea of locating his family to Galle for the summer dissipated with every passing hour, every passing mile was a victory of endurance, the plan for his family to join dissipated like the hot fumes from his exhaust pipe as it cooled in the ambient temperatures of the daytime air.


He eventually entered the fortress port of Galle, a shattered man from the unexpected rigours and turmoil of the journey. He had planned to visit Yala nature reserve, leaving Galle in the late afternoon, he did attempt the sojourn, but with the light fading fast, he needed a roof over his head that night. At least the traffic was considerably less chaotic east of Galle, as the dark of the night loomed overhead. He saw a sign for a possible night’s refuge, Paramulla Temple - guests welcome. The turning from the main road took him along a dirt-track towards the sea. To his surprise he entered a temple-like construction with some outbuildings. He staggered away from the rental car, hoping that the temple would shelter this weary and fatigued gypsy – lost and uncomfortable again. Walking into one of the buildings, it was empty, candle-lit, and had a bare austere appearance. Finally, a little woman appeared, and without any ceremony checked Joe into the monastic surroundings. She escorted him to his room, there was not a living soul around, so peaceful. They came to one of the buildings, it was like a stable, with a row of doors. Opening the door, he was surprised to see a bed, a small reading table, and a chair, nothing else. Bare whitewashed walls, and a small window high above on the rear wall, and a toilet, and a crude shower unit. The room was lit again with a large candle. As she closed the door leaving him in the room, there was one thought on his mind – bed and sleep.


The dawn light, and the sound of birds greeted his opening eyes, but he heard another unfamiliar sound, that of a saxophone. Was he dreaming? He went out of his room to investigate. There in front of him on the porch of an adjacent larger building, was a Buddhist monk, certainly his appearance in a regalia of robes hinted of a Buddhist monk, playing a bright brass saxophone, his upper body swaying to his musical exertions. He stopped playing. It wasn’t at the sudden appearance of Joe from his room, he had finished his rendition. He looked over, and gave Joe a friendly smile, and then said.


“Welcome to our monastery, prayers will start shortly in the main hall, and then breakfast will be served, and after breakfast, the mediation class will commence outside in the mediation platform to your right.” Pointing with his free hand, the other hand still pressing against the saxophone brass keys.


Joe didn’t reply. He thought about the prayers, and gave it a miss, but breakfast sounded nourishing, His adventurous, nosey spirit was aroused, as he investigated the grounds of the temple. The buildings of the temple hid a beautiful lawned expanse and a well-kept garden, slowly dropping down to a row of tall trees, mysteriously hiding an open view of the Indian Ocean. In the middle of the lawn was a large swimming pool. It was an unexpected, but pleasant surprise, the invitation to explore, and walk down to the thrashing thunderous waves below was impossible to refuse. Walking past the tall waving trees buffeted by the sea breeze, Joe stepped onto the empty beach. It was paradise. Outcrops of rocks stood like sentinels against the crashing waves, and in the distance, he could see the local fisherman perched high on their poles above the water, simple cane rods and small nets looking downwards for their catch. It was the most tranquil scene that would live in his memory for a lifetime, it wiped away the tiring road rage from the previous day. Paramulla temple was the closest place he had been to a heaven-like world on earth in all his living days as a transformed sperm.


He swam in the pool, it was filled with sea water, a truly environmentally friendly, and sustainable ambience.


It was time to leave on the dreaded return journey. He bid his farewells to the little lady, and head monk now without his saxophone. They encouraged him to return, apparently, they have guests from all over the world seeking peaceful solitude. He agreed with their comments, about the place being a sanctuary for the soul. A perfect respite from the challenges, which lay ahead.


His working days were in a towering building overlooking the old habour area of Colombo, with imagination one could easily visualize the busy habour in the yesteryears of the 19th century with wooden masted vessels loading and unloading their goods, the tea clippers sheltering from those tempestuous ocean journeys of long ago. Now it was a stagnant remnant of the past, overgrown with vegetation and trees leaning towards the water, and allowing shade and shelter for the pelicans, storks, and large sea birds. The building where he worked had a small array of shops, small restaurants, and a busy coffee shop, with its chairs and tables scattered within and outside the business entrances to attract the passing traffic inside the small mall. Joe often took coffee there, it was his type of coffee shop, with a “bring and take” bookshelf, free newspapers, to keep the customers entertained. There was a small noticeboard, where anybody could pin up their advertisements. Joe often stood, pondering, reviewing the notices pinned up for a passerby to peruse. One notice caught his attention and interest, one day, it read.


“Visit Knuckles and the Central Highlands with Sid” with a repeated telephone number that you pulled from the bottom of the notice.


It was a communique sent from the Gods, provoking the mind and soul of the simple and lost children on earth, particularly Joe. The blind sperm transformed into a human body, fodder for any adventure, where being lost and uncomfortable nurtured and stirred the soul.


************************************************************

Part of an anthropology of stories – “Chronicles of a Working Life.”

May 04, 2024 10:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

John Rutherford
10:15 May 15, 2024

Thank you Melodic, I glad you enjoyed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Melodic Scribe
09:55 May 15, 2024

Haha very good. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Rutherford
10:48 May 14, 2024

My pleasure, glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stevie Burges
10:15 May 14, 2024

John, Thanks for your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Rutherford
12:31 May 10, 2024

Because you have time: try to attempt - try or attempt but not both? trashing thunderous - do you mean 'thrashing'? Well spotted.

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Rutherford
11:44 May 10, 2024

Thanks Kaitlyn. It's Srilanka not Thailand. Nonetheless, similar. Except, Srilanka embraces most cultures, except that terrible conflict between the Tamils and Sinhalese, which has ease nowadays. The famous Budha's tooth relic is located in Kandy. The title is in Sanskrit and English. The main character is me, and the story is true. It is part of the entire adventure in the 2000's.

Reply

Show 0 replies
11:05 May 10, 2024

I haven't been to Thailand but you described what I visualize it must be like. I'm glad he had help on his journey. He has lots of lovely scenery to remember later. Well described. He was very brave driving on his own out in the wild. A fitting episode for your Chronicles. Because you have time: try to attempt - try or attempt but not both? trashing thunderous - do you mean 'thrashing'?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Renate Buchner
10:16 May 08, 2024

I will look out for "Chronicles of a Working Life.” Well told, John.

Reply

John Rutherford
11:18 May 08, 2024

Thanks Renate. I just got back from another mini adventure with the South Aegean Volcanic Arc, and the ancient volcano on the island of Nysiros. More material for a great story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
23:15 May 04, 2024

Hey man, missed your adventures. Nicely done with this one. I loved.

Reply

John Rutherford
03:24 May 05, 2024

Thanks for comments and the missing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
LeeAnn Hively
22:48 May 04, 2024

Yay, you're back! This feels like the setup for a larger story to be told. I'm a big fan of the imagery and can imagine all the massive, hidden temples hiding just around the next thick clump of jungle trees. It's ready for an adventure, and I hope you post that adventure, too, if you decide to keep the story going.

Reply

John Rutherford
03:25 May 05, 2024

It's already written. The story is true.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
17:50 May 04, 2024

Thanks Alexis. It was a bit rushed, very busy with new website, and book launch right now. I have missed the weekly for a few weeks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
17:44 May 04, 2024

Well, that opening sentence drew me in. Haha ! Such a unique take on the prompt. I loved how this one flowed. The descriptions were so impeccable too. Lovely work !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
15:27 May 04, 2024

Lots to get lost in. Thanks for liking my Southern Persuasion.

Reply

John Rutherford
16:14 May 04, 2024

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
14:33 May 04, 2024

Intriguing…!

Reply

John Rutherford
16:14 May 04, 2024

I know it's missing a sense of urgency.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.