0 comments

Sad Fiction American

[THIS STORY IS FOR THE PROMPT “Write a story from a ghost’s pov” BUT I WAS TOO LATE. ENJOY MY STORY]

Where am I?

I looked around the room, which was only a basic square room, but not only any square room. The walls, the ceiling, and the floor were white. And they were also… glowing.

I looked down, but didn’t see my feet. I put my arms out in front of me, but I did not see them. I cried out for help, but no sound came out of me.

What is happening?

I looked around frantically, hoping for there to be some kind of sign or guidance telling me where I was or what to do. All of a sudden, the ground rumbled underneath me, and when I turned around, I saw that one of the walls was rolling away, revealing a separate area.

Is that… my car?

I saw my car ruined up against another car. And, inside mine, I saw me. But I was dead. I felt the warm tears begin to roll down my face. “Please, no!” I creid out–or at least tried to— as I fell down on my knees. “I’m only a twenty-three year old man! I have so much life to live! I can’t die– don’t take me yet!”

As I said this, a glowing object shaped like a man with wings descended to me. “Fly,” the angel told me. “Fly away, go to your family. It will prevent you from heartbreak and sorrow.”

Wiping my tears away, I nodded. I got up off of my knees as the glowing room faded away. With one last glance at my body inside of my car, I jumped in the air, hovering. I circled my arms to keep my balance as I got used to the feel of flying. I leaned forward, which sent me forward. As I did not know how to stop, I came closer and closer to my car. I screamed a short scream, bracing myself, hoping that I wouldn’t get hurt from the collision. But, as time went on, I never hit my car. I opened my eyes, amazed to discover that I had gone right through it. 

Oh, of course! I realized. I’m a ghost!

I shivered at the thought, and then twisted my body to the right to turn around. I stopped leaning, and I stopped flying. I saw my car again, and with a sigh, I flew up in the air, leaving the horrific sight and the angel behind.

After a few minutes, I picked up a lot of speed, and saw my family’s house shortly. I wanted them to feel that my presence was there comfortingly as they would receive the heartbreaking news about me. I entered through the roof, and landed in the living room. My father was watching football with my mother on the couch, and my two younger teenage sisters were looking at their phones, laughing occasionally. 

I walked over to my father, and tried to sit down on the couch next to him, but instead fell through it. As I got up, I heard the phone start to ring. “I’ll get it,” my mother’s voice announced, and I watched her walk across the room to the family’s phone in the kitchen. I followed her, and stood right next to her for two reasons. One was obviously to comfort her, and the other was so that I could hear what the other person was saying.

“Hello?” My mother answered into the speaker, holding the phone to her ear.

“Hi, is this Michelle Rogers speaking?” The lady on the other end asked gloomily.

“Yes, it is,” my mother answered. “What do you want?”

The other end sighed. “I am Sadie from the sheriff’s department, and I regret to inform you that your son, Brandon Rogers, has passed on.”

I got goosebumps at that moment, hearing my name in a sentence like that. I looked at my mother’s face, which was starting to become red as a single tear slid down her cheek. “What?” She barely choked out. “Th-that’s impossible. Please tell me you're joking.”

Silence came from the other end. My mother started bawling. “No!” She cried. “How? How did it happen?”

“A horrible car accident, ma’am.”

My mother wept. “No! Not my Braydon! He-he had so much life to live!” I had never seen my mother look so crushed as she fell on her knees. I bent down and hugged her, surprised that my arms did not go right through her.

“I am so sorry, ma’am. I will let you grieve, and I will call you back once I get more information.”

My mother made no reply. She only cried as my father and sisters rushed to her side. I stepped back, tears falling down my face.

“He’s dead!” My mother cried. “I’ll never see him again! I knew he shouldn’t have gone to that event!”

“Braydon?” My father choked out. “Braydon’s dead?”

My mother could only nod as tears ran down her cheeks like a waterfall. My whole family erupted into tears, grieving for me. I could watch no more. Shaking my head slowly as I wept, I flew away again. 

It has been years now. I am stuck inside the glowing room once more, and I cannot fly.

I don’t know why.

All of a sudden, the angel comes to visit me again. He nods to me. “Hello, Braydon,” he greets.

“Hello again,” I say. I tilt my head at him. “Why am I here again, and why can’t I fly?”

The angel lowers his head. “There are people here,” he began, “and they are your relatives.” He stepped back, revealing two scared and confused figures who were squeezing each other’s hands. I immediately recognized them. “Mom! Dad!” I yelled with glee, running towards them.

Their faces immediately lit up as they saw me. “Braydon!” As I reached them they wrapped me in a large, warm hug, and I looked up at their faces, tears happily streaming down my face like a running stream. “Oh, my parents! I have missed you so much!”

“We’ve missed you too, son,” my dad says. “When we found out that you had died, it crushed us until we died the same way you had.”

“I was watching you,” I say. “I was devastated for you. I am so glad to see you again.”

October 29, 2023 18:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.