Echoes of Love

Submitted into Contest #237 in response to: Write a story about a first or last kiss.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Fantasy Fiction

Sam sighed as she stared out the library window, watching students milling about the quad below. Some chatted in groups, laughing and gesturing, while others sat solitary under trees, noses buried in books. One pair of students caught her eye - a guy and girl walking close together, hands intertwined. The girl's words caused the guy to laugh. Sam felt a pang in her chest.

She wished she could be that carefree. When picturing holding hands, only Mia's face appeared.

Sam glanced over at the girl sitting two tables away, her dark hair falling in waves over her notebook as she scribbled. Mia always looked so confident, even doing something as mundane as homework. Sam wondered, again, what it would feel like to touch the silky hair.

A loud thump jolted Sam from her daydream. Mia had closed her notebook and was shoving it in her bag. Sam panicked. Before she left, Sam had to say something.

“H-hey Mia,” Sam said as Mia stood up. 

Mia looked over, surprise flashing across her delicate features, before her red lips curled into a smile. “Oh, hey Sam! I didn’t see you there.”

“I was just, uh, studying,” Sam gestured at the open textbook in front of her. 

“No rest for the weary, huh?” Mia said. She hesitated, shifting her weight from one foot to the other. Sam braced herself, sure she was about to leave. But Mia asked, “Want to walk? I could use a study break.”

Sam blinked, unable to believe her luck. “Yes! I mean, sure, that sounds nice.” She began shoving her books into her bag with trembling hands.

They left the library and strolled across the quad. The sunlight felt warm on Sam’s face. Emboldened, she asked, “So, how’s your semester going?”

Mia shrugged. “Oh, you know. Same old, same old...” 

She launched into a story about her philosophy class. Sam nodded along, only half listening. She was hyper-aware of how close Mia’s hand was to hers, swinging by her side. She imagined reaching out and interlacing their fingers...

“What about you?” Mia asked, jolting Sam back. 

“Huh? Oh right, me.” Sam said. “I’m just trying to get through organic chemistry without failing.”

Mia said. “You know, I could tutor you if you need help.” She nudged Sam with her elbow. “I am an excellent chem tutor.”

Sam’s heart raced. Was Mia...flirting with her? No, it couldn’t be. Was she dreaming? 

"I might accept your offer," stated Sam.

They lapsed into silence as they wandered past academic buildings and out onto a tree-lined path. Shafts of afternoon sunlight filtered down through the canopy of leaves above. Peaceful here, away from campus hubbub.

Sam snuck a glance at Mia, who seemed lost in thought. The delicate sunlight played over her features. She was beautiful. 

Before Sam could stop herself, the words were out. “Mia, can I tell you something?”

Mia looked over, eyebrows raised. “Of course. What’s up?”

Sam’s mouth went dry. What was she doing? But some bold, unknown part of her pressed on. 

“I like you,” Sam said.

Mia’s eyes widened before her expression softened into a smile. Sam rushed to fill the silence. 

“I just think you’re pretty and smart and nice and, I don’t know, I enjoy being around you and-“

“Sam,” Mia said. “I like you too.”

Sam froze. “You do?” 

Mia nodded, biting her lip. With her heart threatening to burst, Sam felt a tightness in her chest, daring to believe this was real, she took a step closer to Mia. Her hands trembled once more, this time with excitement rather than nerves.

Mia’s eyelids fluttered closed as Sam leaned in. Sam could feel Mia’s warm breath against her lips...

But just before their lips met, a strange rippling sensation passed through Sam’s body. She stumbled back, her head spinning. 

“Whoa, are you okay?” Mia asked, steadying Sam with a hand on her shoulder.

“I...I think so,” Sam said. She shook her head to clear it. 

Mia was looking at her with concern. 

A horrible realization dawned on Sam. They were back at the beginning of the tree-lined path, the very spot where she had confessed her feelings to Mia. 

“No, this can’t be,” Sam said. 

“Can’t be what?” Mia asked. “Sam, you look pale. Let’s sit down for a minute.”

Hadn’t they just been here? Sam shook her head, trying to clear the fogginess. 

“You okay? Mia asked, casting a concerned glance. 

“Yeah, sorry. Just got dizzy for a second,” Sam said, offering an apologetic smile. 

They continued walking, leaves crunching under their feet. Sam’s mind raced, struggling to make sense of what had just happened. Time reversed as they leaned in for a kiss. 

As they reached the wooden bridge along the path, Sam knew this was the spot. This was where they had stopped before, where Sam had tried to kiss Mia. Nerves bubbled up in Sam’s stomach, but she tried to seem casual, leaning against the railing and looking out at the water. 

“It’s so nice out here, so peaceful,” Sam said. 

“Yeah, it’s beautiful,” Mia said, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. 

Sam turned, heart hammering in her chest. She placed her hand on Mia’s cheek, then leaned in. Their lips met in a soft kiss. Sam felt a swell of elation, but it was short-lived. Sam returned to the trail, Mia beside her.

“What’s happening?” Sam asked, feeling frustrated and confused.

“Hmm?” Mia asked. 

“Oh, uh, nothing,” Sam said, plastering a smile on her face. “Just talking to myself.”

They walked down the path again, Sam’s mind racing even faster. Was she stuck in some kind of time loop? Why did it reset right as they kissed? Sam racked her brain, trying to understand. 

When they arrived at the bridge for the third time, Sam hesitated. She leaned against the railing, staring down at the water, lost in thought. 

“Sam? You seem quiet,” Mia said. 

“Sorry, yeah, just thinking,” Sam said. She turned to Mia, meeting her gaze. “Can I...can I kiss you?”

Mia looked surprised. “Of course.”  

Sam cupped Mia’s face in both hands this time, kissing her. She tried to pour all of her longing and affection into it, hoping this would be the one to break the cycle. The world spun away again, leaving Sam back at square one. 

Sam expressed frustration by clenching his hands and saying “no.”

“Sam, what’s going on?” Mia asked, alarm in her voice.

“I’m stuck!” Sam burst out. “Every time we kiss, time rewinds back to the start of our walk!”

Mia looked at Sam with concern and confusion. “What are you talking about?”

Sam took a deep breath, trying to calm herself. “I’m sorry. I know it sounds crazy. But we’ve done this loop three times now. We walk, we kiss at the bridge, and then everything resets.”

Mia furrowed her brow. “I don’t remember any of that.” 

“I know,” Sam said. She ran her fingers through her hair. “It’s like I’m the only one who realizes it’s happening.”  

They continued walking in uneasy silence. Sam’s mind raced, wondering how to break this endless cycle. When they reached the bridge, Sam turned to Mia.

“Will you just trust me and kiss me again?” Sam said. I must try to solve this.

Mia nodded. Sam kissed her a little this time. The world reset, slipping away to its start. 

“Why is this happening?” Sam said in frustration, hands balled into fists. “What am I doing wrong?”

Sam trudged forward on autopilot, listening as Mia chatted beside her. Sam’s thoughts spiraled as they walked through the loop yet again. She had kissed Mia...what did it want from her?

As they arrived at the bridge for the fifth time, Sam felt herself reaching a breaking point. She paced back and forth, tugging at her hair.

“Sam, you’re worrying me,” Mia said, watching her with wide eyes. “Please, tell me what’s going on.”

“We’re stuck in a time loop,” Sam said. No matter my efforts, I can't grasp this moment. It just keeps resetting.”

Mia gazed at Sam and asked, “What are you trying to do?”

Sam said. “Our first kiss. I want it to be perfect.” 

“But...nothing is perfect,” Mia said. “Not a first kiss, not any moment.”

Sam’s shoulders slumped as the truth of those words sank in. She was too focused on perfecting the ideal kiss, ruining the genuine moment before her. 

“You’re right,” Sam said. “I’ve been so caught up in trying to control this, I lost track of what matters.”  

Sam stepped closer to Mia, taking her hands. “I don’t need the perfect kiss. I just need you.”

Sam kissed Mia, with no expectation or agenda. She embraced the imperfect moment, releasing her pursuit of perfection. 

As they parted, Sam tensed, waiting for the loop to reset. But nothing happened. The birds continued singing, the leaves kept rustling in the breeze. 

Sam laughed in amazed relief. “It worked. We’re free.”

Mia still looked confused. “I’m not sure I understand what happened, but I’m glad you’re okay now.”

Hand in hand, they continued their walk together, leaving the bridge behind. Sam’s steps felt lighter, her heart fuller. She felt content to be present in the moment with Mia wherever it led.

Sam closed her eyes and leaned in, surrendering to the softness of Mia’s lips against hers. Mia’s hand caressed Sam’s cheek, drawing her deeper into the sensation as the kiss kindled between them. 

The warmth of Mia’s body and the heady sweetness of her mouth remained vivid and unbroken. Sam relaxed into the kiss, the knot of anxiety in her chest unfurling. 

When their lips parted, Sam kept her eyes closed, savoring the lingering tingle. A smile blossomed across her face. 

“There you are,” Mia said. “I’ve been looking for you.”

Sam’s eyelids fluttered open. The amber light of late afternoon bathed Mia’s features in a golden glow. Her green eyes glimmered with affection. Sam squeezed Mia’s hand, interlacing their fingers. 

“I think I’ve found myself too,” Sam said. 

They continued their leisurely stroll, ambling along the tree-lined path that wound through campus. Fallen leaves in hues of fiery red and burnt orange carpeted the ground. Sam kicked them, breathing in the earthy scent of autumn. She finally felt present, the world around her vivid and alive. 

Mia gave Sam’s hand a gentle swing. Please tell me what happened there. Why did it feel like we kept going in circles?”

Sam hesitated, unsure how to explain. “I was stuck chasing this idea of perfection. I believed that with perfect timing and circumstances, everything would align. “Pretty silly in hindsight.”

“Not silly,” Mia said. “I think we all fall into that trap sometimes, trying to force things to be perfect. But the best moments are often the imperfect ones.” 

Sam smiled, gratitude welling up inside her. No matter how many times they had re-lived their walk over the bridge, Mia had never judged her, only meeting her with patience and care. 

“You’re right,” Sam said. “I was so focused on controlling this one experience I missed out on living it. When I released and embraced the moment as it was, something changed.

Mia gave a knowing nod. “It’s vulnerability that creates genuine connection. Embracing imperfections in ourselves and others.

“I’m glad my imperfections don’t scare you off,” Sam said, bumping Mia with her shoulder.

“Are you kidding? I find them delightful.” Mia stopped and turned to face Sam, taking both of her hands. “Your little quirks make you, you. Never feel like you need to hide them from me.”

Sam’s eyes misted over. All this time, she had clung to the belief that she needed to conceal her flaws in order to earn affection. But here was someone seeing her, imperfections and all, and reflecting only acceptance. 

Blinking back tears, Sam pulled Mia into an embrace. Mia’s arms encircled her, radiating warmth. Sam rested her head on Mia’s shoulder, the faint smell of vanilla and almond mingling with the autumn air.

“Thank you,” Sam said. “For being patient with me. And for being you.”

“Of course, love.” Mia planted a kiss on Sam’s forehead. “Take all the time you need. I’m not going anywhere.”

Mia intertwined her fingers with Sam’s as they continued on their way through the campus. The path led them past ancient stone buildings draped in ivy. Students lounged on the grass, chatting and tossing footballs. The sight filled Sam with comfort.

As they approached the edge of campus, the path gave way to a dirt trail that meandered into the woods. Sunlight filtered through the canopy, dappling the ground. Up ahead, Sam could make out the sound of a burbling stream. She inhaled, taking in the cool, earthy air.

“It’s so nice to be out of that loop,” she remarked. “I feel like I can breathe again.”

Mia paused, looking thoughtful. “But maybe it was what you needed. A chance to confront your beliefs about perfection head-on.”

Sam considered this. “You know, I think you might be onto something. Being trapped in that cycle was terrifying, but it pushed me to examine my patterns and make a change.

She gave Mia’s hand a grateful squeeze. Sometimes, we must lose ourselves to discover the right path.

Mia said. “The deepest wisdom often comes from those detours and wrong turns.” 

They walked in a comfortable silence, listening to the chorus of birdsong. The dirt path gave way to a wooden footbridge arching over the stream. Sam paused at the apex, taking in the glint of sunlight on the rippling water. 

Mia sidled up beside her. “What do you say we start fresh, here in this moment, together?”

Sam turned, meeting Mia’s tranquil gaze. She remembered their countless moments in this same place, trapped in monotonous repetition. They were here, free, the moment unfolding. 

Sam cradled Mia’s face in her hands, touching their foreheads together. 

“I’d like that,” she said. And she kissed her once more.

February 17, 2024 04:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.